Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    No, unless you want to put too much stress on your whole system.

35 degrees angle should be fine, although 30 is the goal.
    Why "No"? My ridge line is strong enough and it takes the stress not the hammock.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I wouldn’t call 30 degrees a “goal”. For me, it is more a starting point to finding comfort - which is my goal. Other numbers are offered - like the distance the ends should be apart is somewhere between 83% and 86% of the hammock length. You find that most verbal (text) descriptions say 83% while hammock calculators use 86%.

That’s not to say that in pursuit of comfort you should hang with a 15 degree angle suspension. If you cannot find a sweetspot around the 83% to 86% range, there might be something else that needs considering.

The ridge line give you a constant sag if you need to hang tighter than normal - but the increased stress is still there. If possible, it’s better to use the ridge line as sort of a measuring tape. As you set your suspension, it indicates how far apart the hammock ends should be. You can adjust the height on the tree and length of your suspension to meet the goal of that ridgeline being just bendable but not guitar string tight.

There are other discussions about if that tightness should be measured while you are in the hammock or out of it. Because I am out of the hammock when I set it up. I use the “out of the hammock” tension as my “goodness” indicator.
    Because of the sag designed into my Dream Hammock Darien, no matter what angle I set the hammock straps, my ridgeline is always guitar strings tight. I used to worry about this but, in all the times I used the hammock, it has never given me trouble. I figure it just is what it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Because of the sag designed into my Dream Hammock Darien, no matter what angle I set the hammock straps, my ridgeline is always guitar strings tight. I used to worry about this but, in all the times I used the hammock, it has never given me trouble. I figure it just is what it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I'm not buying it...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Buy it. If the ridge line is strong enough, it can work as a structural part of the suspension. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the trees are rooted well. Rex, if you placed your tree straps high enough, you'd get to a point where your ridge line would only be sort of tight and you could tweak it 90 degrees with everybody else. Higher still, and it would be loose enough to be a nuisance. No reason to change the way you're hanging until experience suggests otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittom View Post
    Here you go...I also attached the Excel file in case anyone wants to play around with it.

Attachment 181802
    i think this is very compelling, thank you. should be part of any new hangers 101 training, i don't know why i never thought to plot it, but there you go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Buy it. If the ridge line is strong enough, it can work as a structural part of the suspension. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the trees are rooted well. Rex, if you placed your tree straps high enough, you'd get to a point where your ridge line would only be sort of tight and you could tweak it 90 degrees with everybody else. Higher still, and it would be loose enough to be a nuisance. No reason to change the way you're hanging until experience suggests otherwise.
    Yes, that's why its a structural ridge line.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Why "No"? My ridge line is strong enough and it takes the stress not the hammock.
    The suspension is taking stress as well if it's stretched beyond an optimal angle, not just the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Yes it increases the stress load. My understanding is the SRL locks the hammock in shape so the sag is always the same. It is determined by the length of the SRL and no lloonngger dependent on the angle of the suspension. When my trees are far apart I raise the straps as much as possible and then tighten as needed to stay off the deck.

Sent from my couch

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123