Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

XLC vs other wide hammocks

So my XLC was my first real hammock and it has served me well for years. I am thinking about trying another hammock just for something different. If I did I was going to go with a wide hammock, say 64-70"s. Has anyone switched to a different hammock and like it better? The xlc is 58" correct and the footbox allows for it to be not as wide but reduce the calf ridge issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    I am thinking about trying another hammock just for something different. If I did I was going to go with a wide hammock, say 64-70"s. Has anyone switched to a different hammock and like it better?
    I recently (November) made myself a hammock from RBTR's MTN 1.3 wide fabric. My prior go-to hammock was regular width and like you I wanted to see if wider was in any way better. I didn't try to make the new one as wide as possible, just wider than normal, so it's 63 inches wide. While it's quite comfortable, I have to admit that the extra width is really not necessary. My best lay position is about the same diagonal as my 58 inch hammock, so the extra width of this new one is of no consequence in a practical sense, at least not for me.

Some caveats however -

I'm fairly short at 69 inches tall. Wider hammocks may have advantages to taller people that they don't have for me.

If I hadn't tried the wide fabric, I'd still be wondering about it and probably kicking myself for not doing it. So if you want to try a wider hammock, my advice would be to go for it. It almost certainly will not be worse and might be better in terms of comfort, so you really have nothing to lose.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    FWIW XLC is 62” wide

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have a WBBB XLC and it really isn't as wide as the offerings by other vendors. I got the DH Sparrow in "Wide As Possible" for the fabric selection and I have a Trail Lair in wide, albeit compared to the wide Sparrow it seems super wide. I am 6' 175lbs. and really don't use or need the extra width or extra material hanging about. Caveat, I never use tie outs on any of my hammocks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I have a wide as possible DH sparrow and I'm 6'2 and I have extra material but I do always tie out.

I do like the space but if I ordered it again I might talk to Randy and narrow it down a bit

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use a Wide Chameleon and love it. It just makes setting up a little easier than the XLC. Both are incredibly comfy, but the XLC just needs to be tweeked a little more to get that.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6ft 2 and find that 64 to 66 inches wide seems to be ideal for me. With that, the BlackBird is still my favorite hammock and have been using them for 10 years now.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I recently (November) made myself a hammock from RBTR's MTN 1.3 wide fabric. My prior go-to hammock was regular width and like you I wanted to see if wider was in any way better. I didn't try to make the new one as wide as possible, just wider than normal, so it's 63 inches wide. While it's quite comfortable, I have to admit that the extra width is really not necessary. My best lay position is about the same diagonal as my 58 inch hammock, so the extra width of this new one is of no consequence in a practical sense, at least not for me.

Some caveats however -

I'm fairly short at 69 inches tall. Wider hammocks may have advantages to taller people that they don't have for me.

If I hadn't tried the wide fabric, I'd still be wondering about it and probably kicking myself for not doing it. So if you want to try a wider hammock, my advice would be to go for it. It almost certainly will not be worse and might be better in terms of comfort, so you really have nothing to lose.
    How did you like the MTN 1.3 material? That was going to be what I was going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    How did you like the MTN 1.3 material? That was going to be what I was going to try.
    For my 160 or so pounds, it's a good fabric if what you're after is a lightweight hammock. The feel of it I'd describe as slick and plasticky when it's new. That's not necessarily bad, but it's not a soft surface like Hexon. It appears to be less starchy feeling over time as I use it more and it gets somewhat broken in. The stretch is fairly minimal at my weight, certainly less than 1.1 or 1.0 ripstop nylon. I like a little bit of stretch, but not a lot and the 1.3 checks that box exactly right. The strength to weight ratio is excellent. The hammock I made with it measures 10 feet, 10 inches long, 63 inches wide. With two amsteel continuous loops in the ends and a zingit ridgeline, the hammock weighs 10 ounces.

There are some pictures of it on my Instagram page if you back-scroll far enough to find November. It's gray in color if you're interested. (There's a green hammock in there also, but that's a different hammock I made for my son).

I believe Paul at Arrowhead recently started offering hammocks in MTN 1.3 fabric. Autumn Ultralight and of course Dream Hammocks have been doing so for some time, if you didn't want to sew it yourself.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    These days I always choose a 12' GE hammock over an 11' one, it is just more comfortable to me. I have an XLC which is great to stay warm and the shelf is great. If I want to stretch out in the summer a 12' always seems better. Dutch has one that is very reasonable https://dutchwaregear.com/product/the-12-footer/#color . My go to hammock right now is a DIY MTN 1.7 XL. I tried a long Brazil one, and I thought the MTN 1.7 XL is much more comfortable, though I am 230 and 6' and it is probably different for everyone. If you are looking for even more comfort, like a floating bed, then you have to try the Amok. Bridges are also more comfortable to me, though my shoulders are too wide for me to say it is very comfortable.

• + New Posts