Hammock
    SimplyLight Trail Layer
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ & EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    5'3 hammocker checking in. I run the line between lightweight and UL depending on season and trip.

I started off with a Grand Trunk 10' I think but ended up being unhappy with the fabric.
    Moved to a SimplyLight Tree Runner 9'. Thought because I was short it'd be fine. I love the hammock for naps and lounging but found I really wanted something longer for a flatter lay, especially on long trips.

Now my go to is still Simply Light, but I'm most comfortable with an 11' hammock. 10' isn't bad either.

Re bug nets, I ended up finding in the climates I camp in, it's a necessity. And the built in is a slight weight penalty compared to the bottom entry drawstring, but worth it for ease. And it's lighter than a zippered full net.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm 5'9" and prefer 10' hammocks, specifically the Dariens that are 64" width, which was Smurf-recommended spec right from the start.

I find them more comfortable than 11'/58" hammocks, although my 10.5'/58" Half Wit in Hexon 1.0 is uncannily comfortable... must be some Goldilocks combo of dimension and stretch.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    As far as lengths and widths go I started with the 11' BIAS Weight Weenie, then moved to a 10' DH Freebird. Now in a 10.5' Freebird 65" wide.

At 5'6" and well under 200# I still have a little excess material on the sides, but the length is dialed in now. In the end its just more personal perspective. IMO If it fits you. You don't have extra material in you face, and you sleep well. Its dialed in.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    I'm 5'4" and hike the Sierras as well with a hammock. I'm always trying to lighten my pack but trying to keep the equipment I find comfortable and useful in lighter weights.

I've owned 4 hammocks in the time that I've been hanging. I also started with a Grand Trunk UL netless that I bought as a stopgap until my Kickstarter SM Ninox arrived. The GT was just ok. I prefer a built in net for ease of setup and use. Plus it wound up being much heavier with everything added up. It's also shorter than I prefer. I've owned (and returned) a Sierra Madre Ninox which I didn't care for. It came in 30% heavier than advertised, material was way too stretchy/saggy, interior too big requiring higher suspension setups. I bought the well regarded Ridge netted hammock on Amazon for <$50 and it's a GREAT cost effective setup that includes suspension. It's not ultralight but it's made well and is designed well. The fabric feels good and doesn't stretch too much and it's easy to set up. Plus, it's less than fifty bucks! My go to is a Dream Hammocks Darien. It's lightweight, made well, and has all that I need without breaking the bank. I'm planning on picking up a new Darien in the 1.2 MTN fabric when Randy gets the new fabric in. 11' is a nice comfortable length. With a custom 10' Darien in the 1.2 MTN you can probably get just over 13 oz for a fully net integrated hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12