Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird

Red face UL camping hammock, short person edition

Lurker first post! In love with hammock camping and looking to upgrade from an inexpensive netted hammock. Any favorite UL recommendations? Just the hammock+net, I'm happy for now with my suspension/tarp/insulation.

Use case: I'm 4'11" and 100lbs, so from a body perspective I ought to be fine with any fabric or hammock length. I like lightweight backpacking in the Sierras, and just started soloing. I'm not careless with my gear, but I do want something durable enough that I can use it for a long time without getting anxious about it touching a branch, and maybe even let campmates sit in it.

Budget: ~$100 but less would be nice. I don't want to DIY the hammock, but would consider DIYing the net.

Right now, I'm thinking of combining a Dutchware or Hummingbird net with a UL netless.
    • Grand Trunk UL (9.3oz, $30): seems well regarded by thru-hikers?
    • Hummingbird hammock (5.6oz, $65): tempting UL, expensive. I can't find much info on people using this for backpacking, but I'm not sure if it's because most forumites seem to be a foot taller than me, or because of the material.
    • Dutchware netless hexon 1.0 (7.6oz, $42): an 11ft hammock is wasted on me, but maybe I can get it customized shorter.

Any thoughts or experiences backpacking with UL hammocks?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd get the Dutch Half Zip in Hexon 1.0, and maybe request a 10 footer if they can swing it. I kinda doubt it, but I've never asked.

I prefer integrated nets just for simplicity and less hassle... I tried a separate net exactly one time and hated it.

Also, when budget allows more, contact Dream Hammock and see what they recommend. Something like a Darien with 1.3 MTN fabric and whatever length/width the Smurfs suggest would be awesome. DH wait times are long, however, so also consider Simply Light Designs (Jared) who does custom work with blazingly fast turn-around.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    The Grand Trunk UL was my first hammock, in 2012. It's not as comfortable for me as a longer hammock, but I'm 14" taller than you. I only wanted to mention that if you do get the GT, there might be easy opportunity for further weight reduction. I don't know if they've changed the parts list (mine weighs 325g), but when I got mine it had heavy(ish) rope tied to big metal hooks at the ends. Swapping those out for Amsteel continuous loops, and then using a UL suspension option like lightweight straps tied to the hammock with a becket hitch or similar, is sure to save some weight.

I can't argue with any of the suggestions cmoulder made either. I have a 11'x62" Dream Hammock Darien made from MTN 1.3 XL fabric that weighs 15.2 oz complete. I reckon they'd steer you towards a 10' version and perhaps narrower as well, which would bring the total weight closer to 13 oz or thereabouts.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-03-2020 at 07:45.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I sent you a couple PM.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My daughter is pretty small too. She upgraded from a 9’ cheap-o hammock to a Dutchware, 11’ Chameleon and loves. She got the 1.0 hexon and lives the feel of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    An 11ft or 10ft hammock may not be a waste for you even though you can use a shorter one. My wife is 5'1" and she started with a Hennessy Cub. She is comfortable in it but prefers the additional length of an 11ft for greater comfort and the overall interior space. I didn't fully appreciate how much more comfortable she found it until I recently got a 12ft hammock and when I was marveling at how flat I could get, feet almost lower than my legs, she pointed out that that is what the 11ft is like for her. In short the extra length solves every comfort issue I've ever had with a gathered end hammock.

I also couldn't recommend Simply Light Designs enough. The 12ft is another custom piece Jared made me, a Treerunner. My original 11ft Trail Lair has been my go to backpacking hammock since the day I got it, he also makes getting a custom length easy on his site. The Treerunner would check all your boxes very nicely. His bottom entry bugnet is also top notch, easier to manage than others I've had.
    Last edited by Kallorne; 08-03-2020 at 09:20.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    An 11ft or 10ft hammock may not be a waste for you even though you can use a shorter one. My wife is 5'1" and she started with a Hennessy Cub. She is comfortable in it but prefers the additional length of an 11ft for greater comfort and the overall interior space. I didn't fully appreciate how much more comfortable she found it until I recently got a 12ft hammock and when I was marveling at how flat I could get, feet almost lower than my legs, she pointed out that that is what the 11ft is like for her. In short the extra length solves every comfort issue I've ever had with a gathered end hammock.

I also couldn't recommend Simply Light Designs enough. The 12ft is another custom piece Jared made me, a Treerunner. My original 11ft Trail Lair has been my go to backpacking hammock since the day I got it, he also makes getting a custom length easy on his site. The Treerunner would check all your boxes very nicely. His bottom entry bugnet is also top notch, easier to manage than others I've had.
    Hmm that's a really good point, I don't actually know yet what length I'd prefer backpacking in. Those fully custom pieces look great but I don't feel like I know all my preferences well enough to invest in one just yet.
    Last edited by rhotic; 08-03-2020 at 17:51.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The Grand Trunk UL was my first hammock, in 2012. It's not as comfortable for me as a longer hammock, but I'm 14" taller than you. I only wanted to mention that if you do get the GT, there might be easy opportunity for further weight reduction. I don't know if they've changed the parts list (mine weighs 325g), but when I got mine it had heavy(ish) rope tied to big metal hooks at the ends. Swapping those out for Amsteel continuous loops, and then using a UL suspension option like lightweight straps tied to the hammock with a becket hitch or similar, is sure to save some weight.
    Yeah, I factored the reported weight of the hammock with no hardware/rope since I'd splice in amsteel replacements. I think the full kit as of now is around the same, 12oz.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Welcome to the forum.

It just takes one mosquito (or other flying/crawling critter) to ruin a night’s sleep. It you are set on UL and want some minimal protection, you can try a HUG net. It has a bungee cord that lifts it up from your head and it covers from the top of your head to about mid chest. The idea is, you are already protected from the bottom with your UQ, or DL hammock (not UL) or UQP. You are protected from above by your TQ. So you only need to cover your head/neck area.

A built-in net allows your to relax in the hammock without the TQ - like for an afternoon pause. The full coverage (separate) net provides more of a protected cocoon. But if neither of those situations come up and light weight is a big priority, then the HUG will gave you some protection with minimal bulk/weight.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I won't do integrated bug nets. Separate nets are heavier, but i hardly ever carry mine as it is. Not much sense for me, to make it a fixed addition to my kit. Not really comfortable until we're seeing lows in the 50s and that slows everything down after dark. If you hang in warmer weather a lot, then even a full length net isn't too heavy compared to the onslaught of stinging blood sucking pests you will encounter.

Just to make a point..when building my first kit, I absolutely refused to take it out w/o first buying a bug net for it. Took it with me and left it in the car.

I'm a walking permethrin bomb as it is.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast