Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

Back From First Time Hammock Trip & Have Questions

I took my troop to Northern Tier for a week in BWCAW. I planned on testing out hammock camping this Spring, but of course everything was canceled.

I practiced setting up my Warbonnet Eldorado and Thunderfly, but this trip was the first time sleeping in it. I took my pad in case it didn't work out and I could sleep in the other adult's tent.

Setup is fine, but I had a couple of issues. First, I could not figure out how to keep the Economy Incubator in place. If I moved around, it would slide off my shoulders. I tried making various adjustments, but had to reach out and pull it back into place.

I slept with my head by the Warbonnet logo up close to the mesh with the shock cord pullout and my feet in the opposing footbox. After a while, the pressure on my heals was uncomfortable. I ended up putting some clothing under my feet, but that would shift around.

I wish I could say it was the heavenly sleep so many say it is, but it was just OK. I'm a side sleeper normally, so that's a big issue. The underquilt sliding caused cold spots.

It was a great trip. The scouts loved it as did us adults. It was our first time there and we'd love to go back.

FB_IMG_1596334668762.jpg
    FB_IMG_1596334651013.jpg
    20200728_141637.jpg
    Last edited by convbcuda; 08-02-2020 at 20:22.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my set-up video for the Incubator. Same rules apply.
    Have a fine trip in the BWCA. Was just up there myself.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Shug's video on adjusting the Incubator was very helpful for me when I was just starting out. And of course it generally applies to all UQs. Pay special attention to the part about "skewing" the corners toward head and foot, which is the ultimate tweakissimo.

One thing I noticed in your photo above is that the hammock suspension appears to be level, or nearly so. I don't own and have never used a Warbonnet hammock, but one thing I've read and heard consistently is that Warbonnet instructs that the foot end should be raised significantly higher (about a foot) than the head to insure proper sleep position in the hammock.

Even as a DH Darien user I like to hang the hammock with the foot end about 6-8" higher for best results, and I've found this true with other hammocks such as Chameleon, Half Wit, etc, and I think this is nearly always so with GE hammocks (I don't know about Hennessey and others). Early on I assumed that dead level "looked" right, however that is not true.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunderf

Back From First Time Hammock Trip & Have Questions

I do not own an WB Eldorado, but am curious if they have quilt hooks. If not, many of the cottage vendors sell inexpensive quilt hooks for the ridgeline or side of the hammock. It may help keep them on your shoulders better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Treehopper; 08-03-2020 at 13:38.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is my set-up video for the Incubator. Same rules apply.
    Have a fine trip in the BWCA. Was just up there myself.
    Shug
    Thanks, Shug. I'd watched this video before hitting the water, but I'm not sure where my major malfunction was. I think the primary suspension wasn't lifting enough at the head end. Would hooking the S biner up higher on the hammock suspension be a good idea?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One thing I noticed in your photo above is that the hammock suspension appears to be level, or nearly so. I don't own and have never used a Warbonnet hammock, but one thing I've read and heard consistently is that Warbonnet instructs that the foot end should be raised significantly higher (about a foot) than the head to insure proper sleep position in the hammock.
    That was an initial setup pic. I did make sure each night that the foot end was higher than the head.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehopper View Post
    I do not own an WB Eldorado, but am curious if they have quilt hooks. If not, many of the cottage vendors sell inexpensive quilt hooks for the ridgeline or side of the hammock. It may help keep them on your shoulders better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The quilt does have loops. I didn't have a way to do it in the filed, but I considered getting some shock cord and connecting the loops to the hammock with line locks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quilts like all of take some time to get right, do you have a place at home to practice?

I put up brackets on my deck and I spend a lot of time hanging, or as you can see shug always in his backyard.

If you can that will be easier to set up take some naps and dial it is, so when you get out there you have it down and you can enjoy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Derch View Post
    Quilts like all of take some time to get right, do you have a place at home to practice?

I put up brackets on my deck and I spend a lot of time hanging, or as you can see shug always in his backyard.

If you can that will be easier to set up take some naps and dial it is, so when you get out there you have it down and you can enjoy
    I don't have a good spot in my yard, but practiced several times in parkland in my neighborhood. The quilt problem and the foot pressure issue weren't noticeable until I actually spent the night in the hammock.

The quilt issue comes up if I move around too much. It was good at the foot end but would slide off my shoulder at the head end.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    Thanks, Shug. I'd watched this video before hitting the water, but I'm not sure where my major malfunction was. I think the primary suspension wasn't lifting enough at the head end. Would hooking the S biner up higher on the hammock suspension be a good idea?
    Yessir. Or just add a knot to tighten the primary at the s-biner until you find UQ nirvana.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast