WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetle bkl

Which Phoenix?

So after getting my WB Eldorado last year I ordered a Trailwinder 40* UQ from SLD. I liked how it was a hook-it-up-and-go UQ, no fuss - no muss. The quilt has worked fine in the warmer temps that I've been using it in. Now, though, I am wanting to pick up a Phoenix from HG and don't know if I should get a 30* or 40*. The main reason for the Phoenix is to cut down on bulk in the pack since I've gone to a 48L for summer jaunts - 60L was just more than I needed. I really don't like cold weather camping as the cold bothers several old joint injuries. I am thinking about the Phoenix 40 for most uses and if I need more warmth pack the 60L pack with the phoenix and trailwinder to get me down to 30*. Has anyone used a Trailwinder in a stacking situation like this before?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I recommend the 30. The tiniest weight diff and gives a little margin without adding huge bulk for the second quilt. On the other hand if you are sure you won't go below 40, then just get the 40

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I have stacked my trailwinder & 20* Phoenix, it works very nicely. Back pre-Hammock Gear days I had Adam make me a custom 30* top quilt that is one of my most favorite pieces of gear, I find that fill very versatile. With an UQ they are so easy to vent I always tend toward warmer than I think I'll need and have been glad I did many times here in the inland Northwest.

Images
    You mentioned bulk as the main reason for wanting a 3/4 UQ. If budget allows, you could get a Premium Phoenix 30. The 10D fabric compresses much smaller than the fabric in the Econ line. I'd wager a Premium Phoenix 30 with 850FP packs down smaller than an Econ Phoenix 40 with 800FP. Yes there's a slight difference in the down, but the fabric will make a bigger difference.

If you're wavering between 30/40 and planning to get the premium version regardless, then you might just want to get the 30 to be more conservative. That said, of all my UQ's, the Premium Phoenix 40 with 950FP +1oz is my favorite.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    You mentioned bulk as the main reason for wanting a 3/4 UQ. If budget allows, you could get a Premium Phoenix 30. The 10D fabric compresses much smaller than the fabric in the Econ line. I'd wager a Premium Phoenix 30 with 850FP packs down smaller than an Econ Phoenix 40 with 800FP. Yes there's a slight difference in the down, but the fabric will make a bigger difference.

If you're wavering between 30/40 and planning to get the premium version regardless, then you might just want to get the 30 to be more conservative. That said, of all my UQ's, the Premium Phoenix 40 with 950FP +1oz is my favorite.
    This! ^^^^

Far more bulk and weight come from thicker shell material than from a lower FP down.

For example, 10D shell (inside and out) and 800fp is much preferred over 20D shell and 950fp. For me anyway. In fact 20D with 950fp is kind of a waste IMO. But if you can $wing 10D/950fp, so much the better. For me, 10D has been plenty durable.

My favorite TQ is an Enlightened Equipment Enigma rated 30deg (and actually keeps me warm below 30deg) made with 7D (!) inside and out and 950fp down, and weighs 14.12oz and smooshes down crazy small.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetle bkl
    Thanks for the replies. I decided on getting a 30* econ due to money being a bit tight right now. I got it ordered and only have 11 weeks to wait.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I also have a WB Eldorado and use an HG Phoenix. The Phoenix tends to pop off my outside shoulder because the WB hammocks don't have pack hooks and HG uses a shock cord suspension. The WB Wooki and Yeti uq's are attached differently, hanging off the whipped ends. You might want to pick up some pack hooks and grosgrain, then sew them onto the hammock body just higher up past your shoulder to help the shock cord in place. I've got them, just haven't sewn them on since my goto hammock is a Dutchware that has them already.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Geez you guys, here I was happy with my assortment of (years old) HG UQ’s for different temps. NOW, I know there are 950 fill options and 10D or 7D fabric options. I wonder if there is going to be another stimulus check? Nah - all my climbing gear is 20-30 years old. And still works. And mostly, these days, I’m kayak camping - weight/bulk not so much of an issue. Still, like passing a parked Ferrari, one can’t help but notice.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts