Got the chance for another couple of nights out on the SHT in the middle of July. I think between the time of year and this particular section of trail the keyword for this trip was bugs. Mosquitoes, flies, even slugs showed up. Carried a head net for over 100 miles of the SHT now and this was the first time I ever needed it.

Got the first mile in then stopped at the Silver Creek campsite for a stretch. I was surprised to discover 4 hammocks setup. Enjoyed a conversation with them as I loosened up a little (some HF members but didn't get their names). Little bit of rain as I got to Silver Creek which mainly just kept things cool.

IMG_2917.jpg

This did lead to a couple instances of what I think of as classic SHT.

IMG_2926.jpg

Most of the first day though was pretty relaxed on all fronts (weather, bugs, terrain).

IMG_2931.jpg

About a mile before camp mosquitoes started coming out in number. Fortunately they cleared back a bit at the campsite but were replaced immediately by some ominous thunder. Got the tarp up seconds before a final kaboom and downpour started. Enjoyed a nice meal under the tarp until the rain died down a bit then got to setup my hammock in relative dryness.

Packing up the next morning I met a number of slugs who made this campsite home. Slug on the suspension? Check. Slug on the tarp stake? Check. Backpack? Check. And one in each shoe for good measure (fortunately found before the feet went in). Slug free I hoisted the pack and set off around 10. Immediately on the trail I ran into some of the worst bugs of my life. Last time on the SHT I came to the conclusion that a decent definition of buggy was anytime you could swat and kill more than one mosquito (or whatever your current nuisance was). That day though I could easily swat 3 on each side at any given time. Head net went on and stayed on for most of the day. There was an occasional bug break with lunch thankfully being one of them and some enjoyable scenery.

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Two miles or so from camp I got cell service and saw my wife texted asking if I saw the severe weather forecast. Got an updated forecast and it had gone from mostly clear to a not so pretty storm forecast. Never heard of a derecho before but didn't seem like something I wanted to experience terribly much. Told her I would evaluate the campsite when I got there and if it seemed a bit exposed I would just finish the final 3.5 out to the car and then drive home that night.

After getting to Big Bend campsite I made the decision to stay. Plenty of trees to choose from, not very exposed, and after being on the run from bugs all day I had not stopped as often as I normally do and my legs were none too pleased. So I got setup for what might be a bad storm, got chased into the hammock by mosquitoes around 6 and spent the next 14 or so hours in the hammock.

IMG_2979.jpg

Fell asleep probably about 10 and woke up right around 2 am to thunder and rain. Not much wind to speak of but for the next hour the ran and thunder just kept coming harder and harder. Superfly handled it like a champ though and I stayed totally dry other than the occasional spatter from the ground. Around 3 am I came to the conclusion sore body be damned, you have no sense being out here in this kind of weather. Getting out of the hammock at 8 to a calm, sunny morning I came to the conclusion oh well this is nice. Still, probably push through next time I am in that situation.

I was dreading a muddy, soupy 3.5 miles out to the car that morning but was quite happy that the trail seemed mainly unchanged after all that rain. Drove over to Betty's Pies and enjoyed the after hike meal at the scenic overlook across the road.

IMG_2998.jpg

Between the bugs and the lack of views I probably won't ever revisit this section of the SHT. Definitely far nicer sections to recommend for anyone looking for a weekend or longer trip.

IMG_2873.jpg