Beginner here, tarp questions

Hello. I'm doing my research, trying to figure out a hammock system to buy. Right now I'm leaning to a DutchWare Chameleon.

Choosing a tarp seems to be as difficult as choosing a hammock.

My first inclination was to get the DW Xenon Hex Tarp 11'x9.5' (14 ounces or so) for $160.
    But then I had my eyes on their dyneema hex tarp, 11'x8.5' (7 ounces) for $249.

Does the 1 less foot of width make much of a difference?

Then (based on recommendations in a hammock thread) I checked out the Warbonnet Thunderfly, which is also 11'x8.5' but has some extra fabric at the ends for a bit more coverage. It is also a tiny bit lighter than the Xenon Hex and cheaper.

And the UGQ Penny Pincher 11' tarp seems to be the weight and dimensions as the DW Hex tarp but around half the cost.

So I'm really going down the rabbit hole here.

I can justify spending extra money on dyneema, but perhaps not more than $300 to $400. The DutchWare price is reasonable but I'm concerned that the 8.5' width isn't enough? I see Hammock Gear has a lighter but similarly priced dyneema tarp for the same price and then one with doors for $315.

A google search for Dyneema Hammock tarp pretty much only brings up Hammock Gear and Dutchware. Are there any other considerations I should be looking at? Thanks.

Images
    There's also Zpacks for Dyneema tarps, including their hammock tarps. https://zpacks.com/collections/hammock-tarps
    Enlightened Equipment has their 7D nylon Paladin tarp, which rivals DCF in weight but costs a fair bit less. https://enlightenedequipment.com/paladin-custom/

The UGQ Penny Pincher is an awesome value, but if you go that route, make sure you note the dimensional differences between the Hanger 11 and the Hanger 11WB (widebody?)
    sorry, I know the overlapped width dimensions aren't legible, but you can check those out on the UGQ site.

I have two Hammock Gear DCF tarps (Palace and the smaller hex without doors). Both are great, so if you can afford the cost and appreciate the weight savings/cost ratio, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

I know you only listed 11' tarps in your post. If you happened to be interested, I have a 12' Dutchware hex in charcoal grey Xenon 1.1 silpoly. I once listed it for sale here along with an identical Moroccan Blue tarp. I still have the grey one, and would be willing to sell it per the same terms listed in the thread below. Feel free to PM if interested.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Xenon-Hex-Tarp

Images
    As to your original question about width, I'd say that's subjective. Many folks here are happy with a narrower tarp like the HG Dyneema hex, and many others swear by having more coverage, like a Superfly or Palace. Now there are even wider tarps, like UGQ's Winterdream XL, Simply Light Designs Winter Haven (with XL fabric), Dutchware's wide Xenon tarps...

Of course it depends on conditions and the purpose of having a tarp on the given day. Is it for sun shade, protection from falling duff and bird poo, privacy, light vertical rain, sideways rain, wind protection...? All factors that might determine how much width and coverage is best.

If you want just one tarp it will come down to choosing the best compromise in weight/bulk/coverage/cost.

Hope that helps a little. You're looking at the right vendors though - if you try one and find it's not exactly what you wanted, tarps from the vendors mentioned should be fairly easy to resell without taking too much of a loss. It's all part of the journey.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Red05, it might help to list your priorities for your tarp and the seasons/weather conditions you expect to use it. For example, where I live, we very seldom have major storms. In the winter, we can have some low temperatures (but not like those northern mid USA states). Some people enjoy DCF tarps, but some do not.

It might help to pay attention to the differences per cost. In other words, you are not paying $300 for a 10 oz tarp, you are paying $150 for a savings of a couple oz.

If I were to pick a tarp for day hikes, it would be a minifly or one of Dutch’s asymmetrical choices. If it were for weekend overnight trips with major storm systems avoided, I’d move up to a thunderfly or hex. If I didn’t mind the extra weight/bulk, and I’d use it in winter or stormy/windy conditions, I’d opt for a tarp with doors.

There is just not one tarp that is going to be “best” in all categories. And there is most likely not going to be a condition were any tarp, worthy of the name, will completely fail. So the trick is to determine what situation you will be in most. Pick your tarp to … cover … that scenario with the understanding that rare times you’ll be far outside those conditions, it will be a little challenging but not unmanagable.

You could, for example, instead of spending X dollars on one DCF tarp, spend the same money on two Silnylon or Silpoly tarps of different design - like full vs minimal coverage.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-31-2020 at 18:18.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    The best way to answer all of your questions is that - it just depends. I understand the desire to want to buy once, but there are so many things that will change when you get into using a hammock setup. The Chameleon is a good modular hammock to start with. You can add whatever you need and take off what you don't. Eventually, you will learn what you need and you can get a hammock specific to that or keep on with the Chameleon. It is a great hammock.

As far as the tarp, it depends on all of the factors that you discussed - weight, coverage, cost. Dyneema is certainly the lightest, but costs the most, is bulkier, and is somewhat transparent (less so if you splurge for the camo). I would recommend determining exactly the coverage that you want before you drop the money on a dyneema tarp. As far as coverage goes, if you are going to be a fair-weather hammocker, then a minimal tarp will work (until you get caught in a storm). I prefer a little more coverage with doors and carry the extra weight. Many experienced hammockers can get by with less in even extreme weather.

At $135 and 18oz, I recommend the Silpoly Warbonnet Superfly as a good entry level tarp (Nothing against Dutch or anybody else - I love all of their gear and have stuff from almost everybody). It has great coverage and has doors. It isn't expensive and can easily be resold if you decide you want more or less. 11' will cover the Chameleon with no problems.

Just my $.02. Ask lots of questions. Read through all of the answers here. Determine what is most important. Maybe make it out to a group hang. In the end, you might end up like a lot of us with a room full of gear saying if I only knew then. I have 6 different tarps (Superfly, Thunderfly, SLD Wind Haven, SLD Winter Haven, HG Dyneema Palace, and the basic hex) and like them all, but the Superfly goes most often.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can offer some looky-see of many tarps for some insight......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts