WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used Kelty Triptease in the past and was unimpressed when the sheath continued to slip over the core. Any type of friction knot turned into a mess. I stopped using it years ago, and I'll bet it was discontinued because others felt the same way.

There are other reflective lines on the market today which are far superior. Others can chime in with their picks, but i like the 1.8mm Reflective Accessory Cord from Sea to Summit. I picked up a bunch of it on sale at Field And Stream years ago. I only use it on my winter tarps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Well, I guess I should have mentioned the Triptease here before I bought it. I went ahead and also ordered some of the Lawson’s since it was even cheaper than the Triptease (and free shipping to boot). I’ll compare the two and maybe post my experience with each. It’s really easy to get caught up all the gear that’s available and spend more than you probably should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No matter what i use, its connected to a prussic loop of mason line clove hitched to the D-ring.

You can make adjustments from under the tarp at the corners, and it will in theory fail long before the tarp material does, and it can be repaired with an overhand knot.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    .... It’s really easy to get caught up all the gear that’s available and spend more than you probably should.
    Ain't it the truth??!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I like shock cord to tension my tie out lines a la Derek Hansen's rubber band tensioners -https://theultimatehang.com/2012/04/18/rubber-band-tarp-line-tensioners/

I've used them gusty thunder storms without problems.

i mostly use paracord type 1, or paracord 100 or microcord, it's a 2mm line similar to paracord, in that it is reasonably stretchy, but it is much thinner and much lighter than the original paracord, also the roughly 100lbs break strength, although still a bit too much for a tarp imho, makes it closer to useable. i wouldn't go below 2mm because of confort and safety reasons. the paracord 100 is handy as it's so easy to find in quantity and in different colors (i guess thanks to the paracord survival bracelet micro-mega-industry). i use the tensioning system i developed and showed in a thread here (basically a VT with a tending loop attached directly to the tarp tieout, functioning like sort of a no-hardware lineloc). i prefer the more stretchy cord because of all the reasons jeff-oh mentioned in his post, but i hate shockcord about as passionately as silvrsurfr (although i do rank zip ties quite a bit higher in the shortlist of useless inventions, at least shock cord is useful sometimes if used wisely ). i think for a tarp, in the usage patterns we typically see, the main safety is brought by the long reasonably stretchy guyline, not short pieces of shock cord. if you want more consistency in terms of tension, the (additional) thing which helps the most is gravity (either by using simple pulley systems, or just hanging a bottle of water or such at the tieuot), for storm ops the gravity solution is irreplaceable if you want things really nice, because of a few things which are unmatched by other solutions in gusty conditions: the range of movement it allows without over-tensioning, and the harmonic vibration dampening it introduces.

short version: throw away (or use elsewhere) the shock cord, but don't use dyneema as guylines either.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Tarp Tie Outs

So I bought the Lawson’s Reflective Glowire and the Kelty Triptease. The Glowire arrived first, so I went ahead and tried it out as my tarp guy line. Fantastic stuff. Shines like airport runway lights in the dark and holds knots really well. I got the Triptease right before a 3-day hiking trip, so I just decided to use it during the trip as my food hanging line. It did ok until I went to take it down the next morning. The sheath on the line wound up shearing off, so then I had to cut the line to save what was left. It certainly looked good when I got it, but the Lawsons clearly seems to be the better of the two.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    So I bought the Lawson’s Reflective Glowire and the Kelty Triptease. The Glowire arrived first, so I went ahead and tried it out as my tarp guy line. Fantastic stuff. Shines like airport runway lights in the dark and holds knots really well. I got the Triptease right before a 3-day hiking trip, so I just decided to use it during the trip as my food hanging line. It did ok until I went to take it down the next morning. The sheath on the line wound up shearing off, so then I had to cut the line to save what was left. It certainly looked good when I got it, but the Lawsons clearly seems to be the better of the two.

I had this exact issue when I tied a truckers hitch with it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And now you know why no one carries it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12