Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Tarp Tie Outs

So, I have a new 12’ UGQ Winterdream Tarp with doors. It came with shock cord as the tie outs. I bought it second hand, so I don’t know if that’s how they’re sold by UGQ or if it was a mod by the previous owner. I’ve noticed that when the wind blows, it will sometimes push the sides of the tarp into the hammock, which could be a problem in a heavy rain. Seems that switching the shock cord out with something less elastic-y would be better (maybe with something like zing-it or reflective paracord). Anyone agree, disagree or have a better suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I switched from the elastic loops to mason line loops that attach to line locks. I just don't like the constant movement the elastic seems to promote. I use yellow reflective line to make it visable. My large tarp is the HG Journey, 12', probably about the same as your winter dream.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have no use for shock cord anywhere in my hammock setup (except for underquilts). I can't understand why people find anything attractive about shock cord. It is not very durable, and loses any of the reasons you might be attracted to it in cold weather. I tolerate shock cord in my UQ suspension, but may dump it and just go with Zing-It 1.75 mm. Shock cord ranks right up there on my list for worst invention ever.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-30-2020 at 23:04.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use shock cord loops on the tie- outs on sil- nylon tarps to keep the tarp tensioned properly when it gets wet and stretches. Some people like to just use shock cord for the whole tie- out. Shug mentioned that he does this in an older video. Don't know if he still uses it.

Benefit is simplicity. Another is cushioning from wind gusts or tripping over the line. You mentioned one of the cons. I would add another -- weight. Also, if the stake pulls out of the ground I've heard stories of the shock cord launching it at amazing velocity, including through the tarp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    It’s good to hear different prospective on the pros and cons. Certainly food for thought. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    A quick review of the UGQ website will show guylines for tarps are an add on accessory. The lines they offer are "braided polyester (Not FID-able) which will yield lower stretch than other lines.This guy out line is some of the smallest line we could find at 1.2mm."

Thus, you are correct, the guylines are not original and changing them out is your choice. Personally, I would dislike 100% bungee line for the reasons you state. I also do not understand using ZingIt on a $130+ tarp. ZingIt does not stretch and is crazy strong. Question: when a big gust of wind, or klutzy drunk camping partner hits you tarp, which would you want to break? The guyline, tear out the guyline loop, or tear the tarp? Remember the weakest link story. Design a weak link in this system to protect the trap.

Thus, I use a line with a 50-75lb (25kg) break strength. If the guyline breaks in the field, just overhand knot it. I also like a little stretch in the line to relieve the stress caused by the wind. Nothing that will allow the tarp to flap, but just give a little.

I also believe in use what you got. If you have ZingIt and want to use it, fine but I would put a weak link loop of something between the ZingIt and the tarp. Thus, people have put 2"-3" loops of bungee, at the tarp loop, in a ZingIt guyline system.

Food for thought.

Oh and here is a current discussion on wind loads and tarps.... Protecting Tarp From Wind
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 07-31-2020 at 08:44.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree with everything Jeff-Oh said.

Personally, I've used a variety of tie- outs, but my favorite (and what I use on my DCF tarps) is braided yellow mason line. Very light, strong enough without being too strong (years ago someone on this forum tested it to be about 50# strength), and super- cheap. Find it at Home Depot. You can even splice it like dyneema, though that's awfully fiddly and I prefer to use knots and micro- line-locs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Thanks, guys. All great advice, which is what I was hoping for. This is why I love this forum.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I read an article by Andrew Skurka that said his favorite guy line was the Kelty Triptease Lightline Reflective cord. It was pretty hard to find, but I did locate one place online that had a 50’ roll of it. Apparently it’s only 1 oz for a whole 50 ft. Thought I would try that out. I’m bad to trip over guy lines, so having something reflective would save me some trouble for sure. I’ve taking to heart the comments about the importance of the line not being too strong so it fails before the tarp is damaged. One site said it had a breaking strength of 188 lbs. I’m guessing that I probably need to rig a fail point as some of you recommended. But would be curious as to any additional thoughts about the Kelty Triptease.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee

Tarp Tie Outs

Kelty Triptease was—and remains—a perfectly adequate guyline. It’s been discontinued, but as you’ve noticed, it seems to be available still in a few places. Get some and use it, and you wouldn’t likely regret it. Nice gold color is pretty.

Just as an FYI, the gold standard for guylines is Lawson Equipment, which is what I’d recommend that you use. Or you could also find similar conveniently from Dutch.

Just thought I’d weigh in with those options.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast