DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by red05 View Post
    Thank you so much, greatly appreciate that quick response. Sounds like it could be a good option.
    I do love my Dream Hammocks. I think either the Darien or the Half-Zip will work well for you. It basically just comes down to what you're looking for. I like the weight/bulk savings of the Darien. While a couple ounces isn't much, every ounce adds up in the end. And having gear that takes up less space is nice- especially for times when I may want (or need) to carry something extra. I'm sure you would enjoy being able to have a hammock setup that rivals the weight of your current trekking pole tent, but provides way more comfort.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    My main considerations are weight and comfort and ease of setup (in that order, probably).
    Without beating it to death on the weight topic, I will add that I (and perhaps you) got into hammocks after having a decent amount of experience with UL ground setups, including tents, tarps, bivys and the like. Just for perspective, it is good to know that for warmer weather months there exist hammock/quilt/tarp setups—including hammock suspension and tarp guy lines—with *total weight* of around 2.5lbs. And there are combos for the other seasons that are just a few ticks heavier than comparable ground setups.

Of course it is not so easy to get the whole system dialed in at the outset. It took me a solid year and a half of non-stop experimentation and trail testing in all kinds of weather to get up to speed and try different gear to find setups that are light, comfortable and warm and adequately weather resistant for my tastes.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    None or Z-Rest (it
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The idea of being in a hammock is about comfort. Don’t cut corners on the hammock. Dutch’s net less is decent. Keep the tarp simple with a hex tarp. You can save weight with the suspension by avoiding the hardware and get your knots down.

I’ve done the UL with a simple tarp on the ground years ago. At 60 I switched to the hammock for comfort. I use a chameleon with a silpoly hex tarp. I’ve played with suspension, hardware, knots, whoopie slings and such. Those are details you can play around with over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with any of the options you listed. But if you are willing to look beyond Dutch, I believe there are lighter- yet durable, options available at similar price points. As for suspension, I recommend considering a simple becket hitch. It is very easy to tie, and it saves a lot of weight over using Dutch bling. Here are a few examples.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 11' Darien 1.3 Mtn fabric- 14.7oz ($127)
    TrailHeadz Banshee UL 10.5' 1.3 Mtn fabric- 11oz ($170)
    Suspension
    Myerstech 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 3g/ft- 3.3oz ($23)
    Dutchware 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 2.4g/ft- 2.5oz ($29.54)
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher Hanger 11' Hex Tarp- 13.5oz ($79.95)
    TrailHeadz Hex Tarp- 12oz ($85)

With these options, the lightest combination (hammock, suspension, tarp) comes in at 25.5oz. And the heaviest combination is 31.5oz.
    In case anyone cares, I went with a ready to sell DH 11' Darien 1.3 mtn wide, which came out to 15.7 oz, some Kevlar straps for suspension @3.6 oz, and a Hammock Gear 11' tarp 7.3 oz. There are a few other items that I haven't received yet that willa add to the weight but so far I'm happy. I also got a beetle buckle suspension as an alternative to the kevlar straps while I get the hang of things. So far spent 1 night in the hammock and had a heck of a time keeping my sleeping pad and quilt where I wanted them [not quite ready for an UQ]. But I'm ready to try again

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Very nice. I started off trying to do it on the cheap (and wasn't aware of the cottage vendors) and overall, probably spent more money and wasted time.

When you're ready for the UQ discussion (3/4 or full length, synthetic vs down, UQP or no), you know where we are! The UQ is a game changer.

Yeah that will be the next piece of gear that I will research last night my feet stayed very warm in my footbox so I'm guessing 3/4 length would suffice, right? Might try to sew one using Costco down throws.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The recommendation is to use a piece of foam (like a Zseat or variations of it) and put it in the footbox if your feet get cold. Also, wearing socks can help.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Using my 2/3 length 20 degree HG clone UQ, my legs start getting cold around 30 or so. My 3/4 20 degree Lewis(LostBiker Quilt) goes to 20 well, and the two stacked easily into the teens, as long as you can keep the wind off you.

40 degree JRB TQ performs well all the way into the teens with hat, socks, base layer adjustments etc. Never get cold from the top down.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234