Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    TQ-GoLite UQ-Loco
    Let me just throw this out there. Maybe think about a Dutch netless and a bargain/penny pincher tarp with a nice underquilt. This will allow you to not spend a bunch of money and try out some things before you get your next (upgraded) hammock. A good underquilt will work with all of the hammocks that have been mentioned. The experience gained from just messing around with the hammock and tarp will be invaluable in the long run.

On the other hand you could just buy what you think you want and then sell it for almost what you paid for it later if you decide to change things up...

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderkeen View Post
    I wouldn’t use tape, because it could possibly give up mid move and be a pain, and because all you have to do is larks head the new one to the old one before pulling it through.
    For sure. Larksheading the loops together also works well, and no tape required. I've generally used a strong piece of tape- like duct or electrical, so I haven't had any issues with them coming apart.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Are you perchance Red Devil 5?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Let me just throw this out there. Maybe think about a Dutch netless and a bargain/penny pincher tarp with a nice underquilt. This will allow you to not spend a bunch of money and try out some things before you get your next (upgraded) hammock.

There is a lot to say for this approach. Even a $15 DIY fronkey bugnet made from a pair of $5.89 walmart window shears, a few feet of shockcord and a toggle will do the job. High quality netless hammocks are cheap and even cheaper with access to someone who sews. Dial in on fabric, length and width preferences and then have your own integrated hammock system made with the knowledge that it will be perfect for you.

The tarp decision comes down to your own $ spent per oz saved curve and it looks like the eventual solution that many arrive at is a lightweight summer option and a winter tarp for the weather. To be honest, your choice of insulation, especially underquilt, is at least as important as choice of hammock both in consideration comfort and weight and unfortunately cost and like the tarp seems to evolve into a quiver solution if weight remains a serious concern.

As for suspension just pick one. It doesn't really matter because your post identifies you as a gearhead meaning that your suspension will evolve at least three of four times and nothing can be done about that.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with any of the options you listed. But if you are willing to look beyond Dutch, I believe there are lighter- yet durable, options available at similar price points. As for suspension, I recommend considering a simple becket hitch. It is very easy to tie, and it saves a lot of weight over using Dutch bling. Here are a few examples.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 11' Darien 1.3 Mtn fabric- 14.7oz ($127)
    TrailHeadz Banshee UL 10.5' 1.3 Mtn fabric- 11oz ($170)
    Suspension
    Myerstech 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 3g/ft- 3.3oz ($23)
    Dutchware 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 2.4g/ft- 2.5oz ($29.54)
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher Hanger 11' Hex Tarp- 13.5oz ($79.95)
    TrailHeadz Hex Tarp- 12oz ($85)

With these options, the lightest combination (hammock, suspension, tarp) comes in at 25.5oz. And the heaviest combination is 31.5oz.
    Excellent suggestions from rweb82 — very respectable weights and relatively low cost. Also, I luv-luv-luv my DH Dariens but the wait times are now very long unless you know for sure that your lay preference is head left and can purchase some of the pre-built ones that are in stock. Other alternatives to Dutch are SLD Trail Lair (custom made, blazingly fast turnaround) or HG netted hammocks.

FWIW, my Dariens are of course zippered on one side and I do not have any problems at all tweaking the UQ on the non-zippered side... super easy to feel the shock cord thru the fabric and tug into place.

Quote Originally Posted by red05 View Post
    Thank you. I've seen the UHMWPE straps mentioned before on other sites. Is that all I would need for suspension? Sorry, still trying to learn a lot before I make decisions.
    My own humble suggestion is to go with Kevlar tree straps vs UHMWPE, which tend to bunch up in a cord-like fashion. Get 12' straps and attach directly to the tree with some sort of knot (I use slipped buntline hitch) or feed thru the strap loops or use Evo loops... and attach to hammock CLs with Becket, Slipped Lapp hitch or J-bend. It really needn't be any more complicated than that, although obviously there's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to developing a feel for proper adjustment and being able to set up quickly with only minor tweaks to fine tune.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

There is nothing wrong with any of the options you listed. But if you are willing to look beyond Dutch, I believe there are lighter- yet durable, options available at similar price points. As for suspension, I recommend considering a simple becket hitch. It is very easy to tie, and it saves a lot of weight over using Dutch bling. Here are a few examples.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 11' Darien 1.3 Mtn fabric- 14.7oz ($127)
    TrailHeadz Banshee UL 10.5' 1.3 Mtn fabric- 11oz ($170)
    Suspension
    Myerstech 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 3g/ft- 3.3oz ($23)
    Dutchware 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 2.4g/ft- 2.5oz ($29.54)
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher Hanger 11' Hex Tarp- 13.5oz ($79.95)
    TrailHeadz Hex Tarp- 12oz ($85)

With these options, the lightest combination (hammock, suspension, tarp) comes in at 25.5oz. And the heaviest combination is 31.5oz.
    A follow up if you don't mind...but concerning the Dariens 1.3 Mtn fabric...do you have any insight on how that may compare to 1.6 from Dutchware? When I had been comparing DW hammocks I had settled on 1.6 versus 1.0 for durability and comfort. But DH has a 1.3 Darien ready to ship that is a bit wider (64") than the regular sized DW hammocks and is a few ounces lighter. (for reference, 5'11" 160 pounds, side and even stomach sleeper)

I'm getting close to a decision, basically torn between Half-Zip 1.6 and that Darien 1.3. Unfortunately I don't know my lay preference but could try to return the Darien if it is uncomfortable.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by red05 View Post
    A follow up if you don't mind...but concerning the Dariens 1.3 Mtn fabric...do you have any insight on how that may compare to 1.6 from Dutchware? When I had been comparing DW hammocks I had settled on 1.6 versus 1.0 for durability and comfort. But DH has a 1.3 Darien ready to ship that is a bit wider (64") than the regular sized DW hammocks and is a few ounces lighter. (for reference, 5'11" 160 pounds, side and even stomach sleeper)

I'm getting close to a decision, basically torn between Half-Zip 1.6 and that Darien 1.3. Unfortunately I don't know my lay preference but could try to return the Darien if it is uncomfortable.
    I don't own a hammock in the Hexon 1.6 fabric. But I do have a DH Raven in HyperD 1.6. In all of my reading, they seem to be pretty similar. Most folks say that the Hexon is slightly firmer than the HyperD; but both fabrics are categorized in the "medium" range- in terms of firmness/stretch.

I also have a Darien in the (now discontinued) Mtn. 1.2. I would say it has a bit more stretch than my HyperD 1.6, but is still supportive and comfortable. The 1.3 fabric is supposedly a little firmer than the 1.2. So I would guess that it's probably closer to the 1.6 HyperD/Hexon. The 1.3 also has a higher comfort weight rating than my 1.2.

As for width, I do like the extra width of my Darien. It was also a ready to ship model at 64" wide. I don't get the side-pressure from the hammock on my right ankle as I do in my other hammock- which is only 58". That's just personal preference though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Critique my purchase plan?

If you end up sleeping better in a hammock, the extra pounds of weight won't matter! I'd go with the chameleon because you will be able to explore all of the options Dutch offers.

I don't own a hammock in the Hexon 1.6 fabric. But I do have a DH Raven in HyperD 1.6. In all of my reading, they seem to be pretty similar. Most folks say that the Hexon is slightly firmer than the HyperD; but both fabrics are categorized in the "medium" range- in terms of firmness/stretch.

I also have a Darien in the (now discontinued) Mtn. 1.2. I would say it has a bit more stretch than my HyperD 1.6, but is still supportive and comfortable. The 1.3 fabric is supposedly a little firmer than the 1.2. So I would guess that it's probably closer to the 1.6 HyperD/Hexon. The 1.3 also has a higher comfort weight rating than my 1.2.

As for width, I do like the extra width of my Darien. It was also a ready to ship model at 64" wide. I don't get the side-pressure from the hammock on my right ankle as I do in my other hammock- which is only 58". That's just personal preference though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much, greatly appreciate that quick response. Sounds like it could be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    If you end up sleeping better in a hammock, the extra pounds of weight won't matter! I'd go with the chameleon because you will be able to explore all of the options Dutch offers.
    I keep coming back to that very thought

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast