Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    As previous posters have alluded to, one of the key decision points is whether you want an integrated, zippered bugnet, or a netless hammock with a Fronkey or similar removable net. Is most of your camping in mid summer, and are you mortified at the thought of one or two mosquitos stealing your precious bodily fluids over the night? Then, yes, a netted hammock is probably best, and everything I have heard about the chameleon says that it is a great choice. It's not the lightest, because it not designed to be the lightest; it is really designed to be compatible with Dutch's line of accessories. On the other hand, is most of your camping in shoulder season? Are you, like me, slightly claustrophobic? Do you view the very occasional minor blood donation with the gentle thought that, hey, bugs are god's creatures too? If so, I propose the glory of lying in a netless hammock. My best hanging moments are late afternoon rests in a netless hammock, with no tarp, after a tiring hike. I use and love a Dutch 11 foot netless hexon 1.6, but that is just one of many good options. Only when absolutely necessary (I dislike the closed up feeling) do I install the Fronkey bugnet. Another option, which I just bought but haven't yet tried, is the HUG net from Arrowhead Equipment. It's essentially a small, removable net for only the upper half of your body (this does require that you be in your topquilt to protect the lower half of your body; perhaps not ideal on a sweltering night).

As for hexon 1.0 vs. 1.6, I believe the 1.0 is rated to 200 pounds. I weight about 190, but would be very leery of 1.0, because I worry about dynamic forces. For example, I often put a lot of weight on my hands while exiting the hammock, especially when the hammock is hung a little lower than ideal. I could easily see myself punching through the fabric by doing this carelessly. I might be tempted if I weighed 150 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehopper View Post
    You can’t go wrong with any of the setups you outlined. I have a chameleon in 1.0 and have loved it. It definitely is more stretchy than the 1.6, but I purchased it solely for the weight savings. I’m 6.1, 175.

3 years later, I am now interested in trying a heavier weight fabric. I’m by no means a thru hiker, so the few extra ounces didn’t bother me. Plus with a chameleon, you will probably find yourself eventually buying add ons. (Ridge line organizer, peak shelf or side car, etc.) I saw you were looking at the symmetrical bug net. If you go the chameleon route, think about the asym option as a slight weight savings. The nice thing with the chameleon is that is can be reversed for a left or right lay.

As for your specific setup, definitely check out the becket hitch with a 1.5 spider webbing straps. Hands down one of the lightest suspensions you can get. To help with taking it down, the becket loop from Autumn Ultralight or Universal loop from Jeff Meyers are great substitutes for a traditional continuous loop.

As for tarps, if you don’t want to drop the money on a DCF option, check out Warbonnet outdoors. I have the Thunderfly which is a good comprise between coverage and weight savings. The thunderfly in 20D silpoly is 13.4 oz. The small doors don’t look like much, but they have kept me dry through some very bad storms. You can even go smaller with a mini fly, but you need to get the pitch just right in downpours to avoid splash back.

Speaking of tarps, a good single piece snakeskin is definitely an added luxury. Not really helping with your weight savings topic, but it was a game changer for me personally so I always recommend to first time hammockers.

Long story short, buy what makes the most sense with your budget. If you can afford it, a 1.0 net less hammock, a fronkey bugnet, a becket hitch suspension and an ASYM DCF tarp is about the lightest you can get.

That said, if you are like most of us, once you catch the hammock bug, you will end up with multiple hammocks, multiple tarps, multiple suspensions, and plenty of great memories in each.

Make sure to share what you ended up going with!

Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your response. Ok so my lack of knowledge is going to show here. I'm looking at the Autumn Ultralight site and I see the $10 becket loops. And then I see the 1.5 Spider Web straps on Dutchware for $69. So the straps would go around the tree, and the becket loop would connect those straps to the continous loop on the hammock? Or the becket loop IS the continuous loop for the hammock (in which case I'd have to put that in myself?) and I merely connect that to the Spider Web straps?

And thanks for all the other info. I'm gonna go over this a couple more times. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Comfort and a good nights sleep will make you see thinks differently in time if you take to hammocks.
    A removable bug net is good.
    Get a smallish tarp and learn to pitch it in all conditions. I use an 11'x7" and have never gotten wet under it.
    1.1 fabric is pretty stretchy....consider your height and weight.
    Many suspension choices out there......]
    Wow, so honoured to get a reply from you! I've been watching your videos for three days now! Thank you

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by red05 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Ok so my lack of knowledge is going to show here. I'm looking at the Autumn Ultralight site and I see the $10 becket loops. And then I see the 1.5 Spider Web straps on Dutchware for $69. So the straps would go around the tree, and the becket loop would connect those straps to the continous loop on the hammock? Or the becket loop IS the continuous loop for the hammock (in which case I'd have to put that in myself?) and I merely connect that to the Spider Web straps?

And thanks for all the other info. I'm gonna go over this a couple more times. Very helpful.
    The Becket Loop would replace the continuous loops that are already on your hammock. They are designed to give you a grab handle to pull on- which helps release the becket hitch much more easily. You can also accomplish the same thing by larksheading a small loop of cordage onto the ends of each continuous loop- which is what I've done, and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with any of the options you listed. But if you are willing to look beyond Dutch, I believe there are lighter- yet durable, options available at similar price points. As for suspension, I recommend considering a simple becket hitch. It is very easy to tie, and it saves a lot of weight over using Dutch bling. Here are a few examples.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 11' Darien 1.3 Mtn fabric- 14.7oz ($127)
    TrailHeadz Banshee UL 10.5' 1.3 Mtn fabric- 11oz ($170)
    Suspension
    Myerstech 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 3g/ft- 3.3oz ($23)
    Dutchware 15' UHMWPE Tree Straps 2.4g/ft- 2.5oz ($29.54)
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher Hanger 11' Hex Tarp- 13.5oz ($79.95)
    TrailHeadz Hex Tarp- 12oz ($85)

With these options, the lightest combination (hammock, suspension, tarp) comes in at 25.5oz. And the heaviest combination is 31.5oz.
    Thank you. I've seen the UHMWPE straps mentioned before on other sites. Is that all I would need for suspension? Sorry, still trying to learn a lot before I make decisions.

The Becket Loop would replace the continuous loops that are already on your hammock. They are designed to give you a grab handle to pull on- which helps release the becket hitch much more easily. You can also accomplish the same thing by larksheading a small loop of cordage onto the ends of each continuous loop- which is what I've done, and it works great.
    Alright, thank you. I think I've got a couple message chains going on with you at the moment, hope it's not to confusing. Is it difficult to replace the continuous loops?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Alright, thank you. I think I've got a couple message chains going on with you at the moment, hope it's not to confusing. Is it difficult to replace the continuous loops?
    Not at all. They are essentially larksheaded through the end channels of the hammock. Just undo it, and tape the new loop to the one you are replacing. That way the new loop will automatically feed through as you pull the old one out. I always try and keep the fabric bunched up as I'm pulling the loop through.

You will also want to note how the manufacturer attached the ridgeline to the continuous loops, and reattach them the same way. But that isn't difficult either.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Not at all. They are essentially larksheaded through the end channels of the hammock. Just undo it, and tape the new loop to the one you are replacing. That way the new loop will automatically feed through as you pull the old one out. I always try and keep the fabric bunched up as I'm pulling the loop through.

You will also want to note how the manufacturer attached the ridgeline to the continuous loops, and reattach them the same way. But that isn't difficult either.

Thank you, appreciate your time.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Thank you, appreciate your time.
    You're welcome! Good luck with your new gear.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Just undo it, and tape the new loop to the one you are replacing. That way the new loop will automatically feed through as you pull the old one out.
    I wouldn’t use tape, because it could possibly give up mid move and be a pain, and because all you have to do is larks head the new one to the old one before pulling it through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast