SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Worried about high wind damage to hammock/tarp

My latest system for rigging my Superfly tarp is using Dutch stingerz for the ridgeline and tarp worms attached to shock chord then MSH to a stick I try to get firmly in the ground but probably haven't done a good job. So far in high wind I managed to rip apart one of the superfly split rings and I've replaced it (and pack extras). When I have my tarp tied-out to the ground (like a tent), there is a lot of force when the wind is perpendicular and my sticks keep coming out and the tarp is flapping like mad. Luckily this hasn't happened when it's raining in the middle of the night.

I suppose one of my issues is that I like the picturesque views by setting up the hammock right at the water on a big lake and there isn't much cover. I guess reorienting my hammock so the wind blows in-line with the hammock direction would help? I don't plan on ever carrying stakes so I should probably sharpen up the sticks and try to get a firmer hold. But regarding sticks/stakes, how immobile should they be made to be? I.e, what exactly is supposed to give before the tarp rips? Is it the stakes should pullout or should the tarp worms give or perhaps the 3/32" shock chord loops should break?

Images
    Many put split rings on the connection points as a defensive first point of failure. Thats supposed to happen.

I put shockcord rubber bands on all my guylines to give them some give. The benefits of this are debatable, but you can give it a try. Make setup much easier. Makes the tarp less likely to shock-load guylines, but also makes it more kite-y.

Consider getting some "real" stakes. If you're saying they are pulling out, then obviously they are not working.

On lakeside hangs, its common to have incoming breeze. I agree its nice to have the view, but that breeze is a killer for keeping warm at night. I usually put the tarp down steep to block the wind broadside in those situations. Turning inline with the wind just makes your setup a big wind tunnel and rob heat from the underquilt.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm really sold on Tato's Adjustable Tarp Pulls. The shockcord provides the give the tarp walls seem to need and that keeps the tent stakes from pulling.

Works better than tie-out tensioners IMO. You can tie off to another tree or root and don't need to worry about catapulting a stake into your tarp.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Couldn’t help but notice your setup “… right at the water …”. So I’m guessing you’ve read about 100 or 200 ft setbacks and chosen to act otherwise (and this is a camp, not just an afternoon lollygag). Just say’n.

As far as fighting the wind - The wind is going to win unless you have a tarp made of cinder block. The good news is, one can co-exist somewhat with the wind by acknowledging it’s power and adjusting by using snake skins and setting up parallel to the flow so your wind facing surface area is minimal and you’ve got some blockage from the trees themselves. lelavola mentioned a wind tunnel effect but my experience - using a tarp with doors - has been more positive with strong wind parallel than when broadside - especially if the support trees are close. Without doors … well, that’s what made me a UQP (and doors) advocate.

Using bungee - and I have bungee part of a fixed line setup so guylines are still intact if a bungee snaps - allows for flexiblity to “spill wind”. When sailing, the mainsail is positioned so you balance on the edge of maximum pull vs being blown over. If you feel a gust, you can let the sail out a bit, spilling some wind so you are not blown over. I’m imagine the standing shape of the tarp presents a certain amount of resisitance. Because a shock-cord allows the tarp to flex, it can allow a gust to pass easier than if the side was ridgedly staked. Better to flex and bounce back than to be ridged until it tears.

Pushing a shepard’s hook in the ground is much easier for me than finding sticks, whitling them down, and maybe pounding them in.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Couldn’t help but notice your setup “… right at the water …”. So I’m guessing you’ve read about 100 or 200 ft setbacks and chosen to act otherwise (and this is a camp, not just an afternoon lollygag). Just say’n.
    I don't think I've ever read or heard about these "setbacks"... I did have my hammock successfully on the shore for a week but it was when a wicked storm came through that I lost the split ring and had to take it down (this was in the middle of the day thankfully). Even after moving my hammock a good 100-150' inland and behind some trees, I found my sticks pulling up, sometimes all 4 when the wind picked up again. Granted I did not secure them nearly as well as they should have been, just stuck them in by hand without whittling or using a rock which is why I started this thread to understand what should be giving here (I was afraid what might happen if the stakes *didn't* give way).

I think the advice on split rings on the tie-outs is interesting and something I may consider. I'll also play with my hammock orientation during my next camp out to see if that helps. My superfly does have doors and I can stake them down.

Thanks for all the good advice so far.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Worried about high wind damage to hammock/tarp

You may also want to utilize more than one stick/stake (3 would be good) on each windward guyout and put them into the ground at different angles.
    I went to cheaper stakes for awhile and had a similar incident with the tarp billowing in the wind (and I had a lot of natural wind blocks around me). I decided I’d carry the extra weight of MSR groundhogs for peace of mind.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve never used bungee cords or metal split rings.
    Some stakes hold better than others.
    My stakes are Walmart shepherds hook stakes.
    When possible I tie tarp lines to trees, bushes, downed large tree trunks.
    After staking line in ground I have placed Large rock on top of line at the stake.
    During high winds I have tied corner lines of tarp directly to base of trees I’m hanging on.

No problems, so far...

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    I just experienced the split rings almost giving up in the wind myself last week at the lake. I use them to connect the tarp ridgeline via Nama Claws. It always concerned me just a little bit knowing that the Nama Claws were not going to move so I always thought the point of failure was going to be a rip in the tarp.

Had a sudden storm come across the lake with strong winds and I was pretty impressed with the way the UGQ tarp held up. Winds were strong enough to pull the guy lines away from the rocks they were wrapped around (not tied) and the tarp shows no damage at all. Just a stretched out split ring where the Nama Claw didn't budge:

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yep - that’s their job. If you want to wear belt and suspenders, you could add a short line from the tarp end to (Prusik, etc.) to the ridge line. That way, if the split ring opens completely, the end of the tarp won’t be flapping around.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Would using a fixed ridgeline of lash-it with the tarp tied off under the ridgeline to prussiks would be enough to not need the split rings? I'm curious if the added flexibility of the ridgeline + prussiks might be enough to not rip the tarp compared to just having a few feet of lash-it pulling the tieouts to the tree. I also suspect that having a fixed ridgeline may help with me using a stick/rod to lift the panel pullouts over the ridgeline instead of the tarp itself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast