Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yes - you got it. I used the “weak link” method because my tarp was part of the structure - like a big oval around two trees where a ridgeline was on one side and tarp - part of the oval - on the other. Mini-biners, attached to the tarp ends, pulled to the ridgeline in so after it was passed the tree, it ran over the center of the tarp. But now I’m trying Nama Claws - prusiks on a iine would work as well. The tarp just hangs under the ridgeline the same way a hammock hangs under its structural ridgeline (if it has one). I also orient the tarp parallel to the wind using the trees as a wind block and my tarp has doors and/or I use an Under Quilt Protector (UQP) providing additional wind blockage.

And most people do put their poles over that ridgeline (rather than just the tarp itself) for the panel pulls. The ridgeline can also be a “drying rack” to hang wet clothes or air out quilts for a while during a sunny day.

My usually setup is … in all but winter I have the ridgeline over the tarp. In the winter, when there is snow rather than rain, I might put the ridgeline under the tarp so it has more support if there is a heavy snow. Or a tree branch decides to dump it’s load.

Note that if you run your ridgeline under the tarp and it rains, that ridgeline could be a highway for the water to run under it to your hammock. If you are going to run your ridgeline under (i.e. clothesline under the tarp), be sure to put some sort of water break on the line (usually a cord/shoestring hanging down) to stop the water from flowing to your hammock.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 08-12-2020 at 17:12.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Thanks, I think I really like this setup idea and will probably switch to it! I'm a big fan of the knots I've learned and excited to use a truckers hitch to get the tarp ridgeline taught. Am I correct in understanding your reply that I can completely forgo split rings if I prussik the tarp at the tie outs to the ridgeline?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s more “your mileage may vary”. It doesn’t hurt to have them but unless you anticipate a major storm - which usually doesn’t show up without some warning/prediction - it would probably be fine. Note that many don’t use them at all. No (or few) rules - just preferences.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    I don't think I've ever read or heard about these "setbacks"... I did have my hammock successfully on the shore for a week but it was when a wicked storm came through that I lost the split ring and had to take it down (this was in the middle of the day thankfully). Even after moving my hammock a good 100-150' inland and behind some trees, I found my sticks pulling up, sometimes all 4 when the wind picked up again. Granted I did not secure them nearly as well as they should have been, just stuck them in by hand without whittling or using a rock which is why I started this thread to understand what should be giving here (I was afraid what might happen if the stakes *didn't* give way).

I think the advice on split rings on the tie-outs is interesting and something I may consider. I'll also play with my hammock orientation during my next camp out to see if that helps. My superfly does have doors and I can stake them down.

Thanks for all the good advice so far.
    Setback from the water protect the delicate flora and fauna around water. Typical dispersed camping rules are 100' off a water source or trail, 200' from a single track or primitive road, 300' off a divided highway, and usually on us forest service land
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12