Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Mine is a second version of Lukes. It's bad ***. I had a Gamma UL before it. I'm just looking to try something else, all the while knowing I'll go back to Lukes hammock cos I have more money than brains
    I know, it's ind of hard to go wrong with it, isn't it? I'll be real interested to see if you end up preferring the TL. Or even calling them equal, because the TL is more like what we are used to, as far as tarps and such. And UQs, and easier to get into, etc. Yes, considering the very good reviews of the TL, I will be real interested to see if it can actually woo you away for good from the HT! Which will mean I have to get one.

What pad do you use with your HT? Do you ever use it without a pad, or with what is termed an inner quilt? Do you use a special tarp with it? As you are probably not using a pad with the TL, what UQ are you using, or planning to use, with it?

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I know, it's ind of hard to go wrong with it, isn't it? I'll be real interested to see if you end up preferring the TL. Or even calling them equal, because the TL is more like what we are used to, as far as tarps and such. And UQs, and easier to get into, etc. Yes, considering the very good reviews of the TL, I will be real interested to see if it can actually woo you away for good from the HT! Which will mean I have to get one.

What pad do you use with your HT? Do you ever use it without a pad, or with what is termed an inner quilt? Do you use a special tarp with it? As you are probably not using a pad with the TL, what UQ are you using, or planning to use, with it?
    I got one of Jared's trail winder UQ too. It's a perfect fit. In the end, I think I'll just prefer the 90degree (or, a bridge) to a GE. I do, however, much prefer the tarp setup on a GE.

I always use a pad with the HT90. I'm at the far end of it fitting me at 200#, 6'1". I need a pad. I like exped style pads best cos it spreads the hammock length wise which I need, but actually find it more comfortable with a thermarest. That seems to shorten though, while also widening a touch.

Tarps? I tried out a Amok too and bought their UL tarp. I'm using it successfully with the TL, but it isn't quite as wide as needed. It also works great for the HT90, although I use Luke's tarp mostly with that. If this TL doesn't work out, I may have Jared build me a tarp based on the Amok tarp, but with a much wider front end for a huge porch. I'm not sure if he would, but I think that would be amazing. Right now, I think it's 6' both sides, imagine the same tarp, but 10' on one side? Always porch mode, and easy to get in/out of hammock. Just a thought..

Images
    So the Amok tarp is not quite wide enough for the TL? I'm surprised at that one, I would have thought those tarps would be wider to work with the extra "width", so to speak, of the 90º style. I have not tried it yet, but I have a 10+ year old JRB 11X10 rectangular tarp, which has extra tie outs for pitching it various ways. If I pitch it opposite normal and put the 10 ft on the HT90 RL, it will give me some extra width ( 11 ft anyway, 12 would be better ) for laying 90º to that RL.

But, my poor old JRB has been thru some trauma from fierce wind storms that brought down the stand it was attached to, plus at 0ver 10 years old, I have been thinking about a new tarp. Would be happy to just go with another JRB, but I think Jared makes a tarp just for the HT90º. That is tempting. But actually, it is not much wider than the JRB at 11.3 ft wide and shorter at 8.8 ft long, but perfectly shaped for the 90HT. Tempting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So the Amok tarp is not quite wide enough for the TL? I'm surprised at that one, I would have thought those tarps would be wider to work with the extra "width", so to speak, of the 90º style. I have not tried it yet, but I have a 10+ year old JRB 11X10 rectangular tarp, which has extra tie outs for pitching it various ways. If I pitch it opposite normal and put the 10 ft on the HT90 RL, it will give me some extra width ( 11 ft anyway, 12 would be better ) for laying 90º to that RL.

But, my poor old JRB has been thru some trauma from fierce wind storms that brought down the stand it was attached to, plus at 0ver 10 years old, I have been thinking about a new tarp. Would be happy to just go with another JRB, but I think Jared makes a tarp just for the HT90º. That is tempting. But actually, it is not much wider than the JRB at 11.3 ft wide and shorter at 8.8 ft long, but perfectly shaped for the 90HT. Tempting.
    Oh no, it's wide enough, it's just cut pretty tight on the edges. I think it'd be fine in most rain, but sideways might be an issue. It works.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    I took a trip with the TL over the summer and it was great. 9 nights back to back, and I feel like I got it pretty dialed, but it still felt a little narrow.
    A new Trail Lair showed up today and its awesome. 11', 65" wide Hexon 1.6. Bright orange, with the black Trail Winder looks very Halloween pumpkin. So cool. I had Jared add the peak loft this time, which is so simple, but works so well. Only hung it in the garage and laid in for an hour or so, but I know it's going to be great.

Thanks for the help getting this dialed.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    I fiddled with the RL again. Trying different lengths, and the hammock feels best to me with it at the original 112". Also, plugged numbers into the hang calculator, and was surprised how high it put the straps up the trees. That's helped too. Also, seemed to lessen the pull on the net. I think I just need to fiddle more.
    In your fiddling did you try lengthening the RL to greater than the OEM? That is what it takes for me to find the sweet spot on the GEs I've used. On some this precludes using the OEM netting. But most my hanging is indoors every night and for lounging during the day. I use an adjustable whoopie RL and that way If I needed to use it outdoors, and one of my other hammocks wasn't readily suitable (90* or the BBXLX that even with longer RL still buttons up) I can easily shorten up the RL.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I also have a TL and noticed that I need a much steeper angle on my straps to get the ridgeline so I can bend it 45deg with my thumb and finger. I'm coming from a 2-3 year old Chameleon and maybe that ridgeline stretched a bit but I certainly notice needing to get the straps up much higher than what I had been used to.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    Tarp
    MAC Cat
    Insulation
    Simply Light UQ
    Suspension
    SLD whoopies
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1596027588
    Like your taste in colors and Camo

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123