How important is reinforcement at tie-outs?

In spring I made my first DIY tarp, a lightweight hex tarp that I was really pleased with (I also made my own hammock, UQ and TQ). But I am already now starting to think about making another tarp with doors to use after summer.
    Reflecting on my experience my first tarp, I found attaching the reinforcements at each tie-out really time consuming and a bit of a pain. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making a tarp without any reinforcement panels at tie out points? Maybe just one layer of fabric is enough, do we all just add them out of habit? I would be really interested to hear what you think.
    I will be using 2oz silnylon.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereker View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making a tarp without any reinforcement panels at tie out points? Maybe just one layer of fabric is enough, do we all just add them out of habit?
    So do a quick pull out experiment. Make a small test corner with your tie out and see what it takes to teat the fabric. If your happy with the result go for it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereker View Post
    In spring I made my first DIY tarp, a lightweight hex tarp that I was really pleased with (I also made my own hammock, UQ and TQ). But I am already now starting to think about making another tarp with doors to use after summer.
    Reflecting on my experience my first tarp, I found attaching the reinforcements at each tie-out really time consuming and a bit of a pain. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making a tarp without any reinforcement panels at tie out points? Maybe just one layer of fabric is enough, do we all just add them out of habit? I would be really interested to hear what you think.
    I will be using 2oz silnylon.
    I've done 3 tarps like this (Ala Warbonnet style) and have had great success.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

the political correct answer is, of course, "it's up to you". but that's not very useful . personally, i started out with a cheap "ultralight" tarp (two of them in fact), i wanted something to experiment with. there were a few problems i could see from the pics on the webshop, but the price was right, so worth trying: they are too small, not enough tieouts, and, oh, the tieouts are gromets (i hate gromets.). the gromets are the answer to your question "how important are reinforcements", they show you how easily fabric can rip if the load is not properly distributed. i had both tarps rip at a gromet, i ended up spending a lot of time removing the gromets and making my own reinforced tieuts, the difference is night and day (now even in significant winds th ultralight material on these things all of a sudden seems quite sufficient; load distribution)

so here's my point of view: the only reason for me to make tieouts on the tarp at all is so that i can reinforce them. if i can't be bothered to do that, why would i sew tieouts on it in the first place, when i can just use a button knot (or pebble as some people do) to attach anywhere i fancy on the tarp (this, btw, if done properly, will be better than most non-reinforced tieouts, in terms of load distribution and rip-resistance)

as a side note: i'm working on some attachable doors for my too small tarps, perhaps it will help you if it works out the way i imagine it, so that you can both have your doors, and leave them home (so to speak), instead of having to have a different tarp altogether (of course i will need a new tarp too, for, ahem, further experimenting)

• + New Posts