Hammock
    Dovrefjell
    Tarp
    MacKenzie 3x3
    Suspension
    Biltema straps

Tarp set up idea

Howdy

Where I live there is a lot of sap on the trees, so the rope and straps that touch the tree usually get super sticky, which I donÂ’t want to stuff with my tarp and hammock.

For the hammock is easy, the tree straps go in another small stuff sack. For the tarp on the other hand..

I like to use a ridgeline underneath the tarp so i get some extra support for the tarp and donÂ’t have to stretch it super tight. So my idea is: have some rope which the purpose is to be attached to the tree. Another rope which the purpose is to be the tarp ridgeline, with drip lines, prusik knots to get the tarp taut and some finesse adjustment to center the tarp. The rough tarp centering will be done with the huggers

To secure the 3 ropes (2 huggeers and the ridgline) I will be using small carabiners. The rope that hugs the tree will get sticky from the sap and therefore be stored in another stuff sack away from the tarp.

Any thoughts on this?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Seems like it would work fine but couldn't you just store the ridgeline with the straps and forego the extra stuff?
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    Seems like it would work fine but couldn't you just store the ridgeline with the straps and forego the extra stuff?
    I agree with this.

Normally I keep the CRL attached to the tarp but if this was a regular problem I would somehow make the CRL detachable from the tarp.

Nothing wrong with the way you describe although it adds extra bits and complexity.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    My set keeps the tarp RL off the trees.
    Tree strap goes around the tree and clips to itself. Clip is facing the hammock.
    Tarp RL connects to the clips or straps.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dovrefjell
    Tarp
    MacKenzie 3x3
    Suspension
    Biltema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    The way I mentioned the ridgeline is already attached to the tarp, tarp is rolled up and ready to deploy. As I don’t have snakeskins I am using tiny ropes to keep the tarp rolled.

The way I am imagining what you meant, I would have to throw the tarp over the ridgeline, right? Not the most fun thing to do when it is windy, and it is windy around here.

Hammock
    Dovrefjell
    Tarp
    MacKenzie 3x3
    Suspension
    Biltema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    My set keeps the tarp RL off the trees.
    Tree strap goes around the tree and clips to itself. Clip is facing the hammock.
    Tarp RL connects to the clips or straps.

Seems like your set up is pretty similar to what I want to do. Any tips or is it as straightforward as it sounds?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    What rope are you using? I use zing it and keep it in a tool roll with the tie outs and stakes. My tool roll always goes with me but I may use one of 3 different tarps weather depending. I figure 8 wrap the ridgeline and it goes into it's own dedicated slot. If it gets really sticky put it in a plastic baggie maybe.

I've hung from evergreen without much stickiness on the zing it. What are your trees and rope?

<-----Those are Hemlocks in the avatar.

Hammock
    Dovrefjell
    Tarp
    MacKenzie 3x3
    Suspension
    Biltema straps
    I use some cheap polypropylene rope. I’m not a tree expert, they are usually some kind of conifers or birch.

I am just starting hammock camping, I don’t have any fancy gear yet.. nor fancy knowledge

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheises View Post
    The way I mentioned the ridgeline is already attached to the tarp, tarp is rolled up and ready to deploy. As I don’t have snakeskins I am using tiny ropes to keep the tarp rolled.

The way I am imagining what you meant, I would have to throw the tarp over the ridgeline, right? Not the most fun thing to do when it is windy, and it is windy around here.
    I assumed that the tarp was detachable from the ridgeline. That's the way my tarp was setup when I used a continuous ridgeline. And for the very reason of keeping the sticky ridgeline away from my tarp when stored.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheises View Post
    Seems like your set up is pretty similar to what I want to do. Any tips or is it as straightforward as it sounds?
    Pretty straight forward.
    Strap trees, hang and position hammock. Connect tarp RL to strap carabiner then connect other end to other strap carabiner. Snug it up using your favorite knot or hardware. Using the prusiks center it over the hammock. I use Mason line (prusik)and key rings to connect to the tarp. S biners are easier, but I have about a dozen key rings in my junk drawer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast