Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Small Dyneema Fids?

I've been using small wire designed for floral arranging to splice and make brummell locks in 1.75mm Dyneema. It works, but it bends awfully easy. Has anyone been able to find useable Fids or pullers that are actually made for splicing this small of a diameter rope. I purchased the Ronstan RFSPLICE-6 Kit. It said in the description 1.5-4mm line, but the smallest tool is still a little bigger than what you need for this rope. I saw some pullers on Dutchweargear.com that looked like they might work, but they have been out of stock since I first looked, almost 2 months ago. I guess any tools like this which are made in China are being held up. I try not to purchase from there anyway, if I can get things elsewhere. Any suggestions would be helpful.

That's exactly how I have been doing it as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfizr57 View Post
    I've been using small wire designed for floral arranging to splice and make brummell locks in 1.75mm Dyneema. It works, but it bends awfully easy. Has anyone been able to find useable Fids or pullers that are actually made for splicing this small of a diameter rope. I purchased the Ronstan RFSPLICE-6 Kit. It said in the description 1.5-4mm line, but the smallest tool is still a little bigger than what you need for this rope. I saw some pullers on Dutchweargear.com that looked like they might work, but they have been out of stock since I first looked, almost 2 months ago. I guess any tools like this which are made in China are being held up. I try not to purchase from there anyway, if I can get things elsewhere. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    I use a metal, plastic canvas needle. They have a rounded tip so it slide through the center of the cordage well. I do find you must taper the bury and use a small pair of pliers to grip the tip of the needle to pull it through. May not be ideal for a production process but for the 5 -10 items I make for myself it works.

To make the pass through holes for brummel I just use a small crochet hook. All were just tools on hand. Don't tell the wife.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I use some ultra small diameter hobby wire too & that has worked pretty well up to now.

I have the set of splicing tools from Dutchware you mentioned but depending on how long you need to make your bury, they may be too short.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    These are what I like to use.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I only use the finest silver plated wire, made for jewelry, because it's what I had available and wasn't as expensive as it sounds. Floral wire would also work. Then I scrunch up the line over a widening succession of knitting needles until I can basically just pass the line through itself. For buries I taper the end, use a wire, clamp it down to the end of the rope with a pair of pliers and pull with pliers after widening the channel with knitting needles the best I can. I haven't noticed any damage to the rope using this method and it's very easy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've used #30 florist wire, and one piece has lasted a long time.

I concur with jeff-oh that it's not ideal for production, and if I were going to have a side biz doing this I would acquire some proper fids and other necessary tools.

But I'm no spring chicken, and working close like that for a few hours a day would ruin what's left of my eyesight so that isn't going to happen.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Jeff Myers had a list of splicing tools on one of his videos:
    https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.a...ref=idea_share

He makes it look easy, but those hook-style splicers have caught on side strands in my limited experience. I would like to try one of these D-Splicers, the fixed handle kind, which Jeff also mentioned in a video:
    https://d-splicer.com

[Edited to add] I have also used florist wire, and it works OK for smaller-diameter rope, but a handle is really convenient to have.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I use a piece of guitar string. G, or B, Not sure which, one of the high unwound strings.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use upholstery needles for my splicing. Click here to see those. I use the smallest one for 1.75mm line and the next size up for 7/64th Amsteel. Papa Smurf turned me onto these a few years ago. A #13 Sail Needle will work for the 1.75mm as well so long as your bury isn't over 3".
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast