Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Another Let Down: this time nylon tree straps.

Was out car camping over the weekend and I keep the original nylon daisy chain tree straps and Nylon Parachute fabric hammock in the camper full time.

I haven't used these in 2-3 years now. I set up the hammock waist high as normal and when I got in I sank to the ground. Nothing broke, I just forgot how much stretch there is. After ungracefully rolling out of the hammock I reset to about 4' to 4 1/2' off the ground and I still ended up with my backside only 8" off the ground. The setup is great for afternoon lounging in the campground. But much more fiddly than my Amsteel suspension I use on my backpacking rig.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Oops! Forewarned is forearmed! Better luck next time tweeking your suspenders!
    Thank you for sharing.
    One of my old off the wall suspensions was an amsteel continuous loop prusiked to a good black tree strap.
    It always held before. My kids were camping in my woods. I was late getting there, had to work late. I got there after dark and began setting up. And stopped my set up to help my kids set theirs. Then I went back to mine and finished—or so I thought. I failed to hand tighten the prusik and in morning I was an inch from ground. I felt suspension slipping while sleeping but was sleeping too good to get up and fix it.
    Since then I’ve gone to another off the wall suspension that absolutely garnaUteed will not slip or jam.
    On des days I’ll make a video of my latest suspension. No knots no hardware happy face!

If there were no failures, there would be no improvements. Snooze on hammock campers.

Hammock
    DIY jungle hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    depends on weather
    Suspension
    webbing & buckles
    I don't seem to have an issue with my polyester tree straps stretching, but I do agree that nylon webbing stretches a lot. You may want to buy a new set made from polyester webbing to eliminate the stretch factor.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I'll 2nd that. Especially when it gets wet. I ordered some poly from dutch, but it's to thick to work with the cinch bugs, so I'll need to re-order something thinner.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Long ago, ENO sold nylon daisy chains. Finally, “they got the memo” and switched - with their Atlas Straps, to polyester. Kammock’s Python Straps are polyester. Both those are heavier than alternatives but fine if weight/bulk isn’t so important (car/kayak camping).

A KickStarter, UltimateHammock, came out with a light weight version - the “around the tree” part is an inch wide and thick, but the section with the loops is about half and inch and light.

Also, DutchWare has some daisy chain material that is way light. The downside to saving weight - an there always is a downside - is ease of use. With those other commercial products one of the two side is a bit longer, allowing for the daisy chain loop to be open a bit - easy to clip with a carabiner. With Dutchware, the to lengths are the same with stitching to separate sections. But because the loop isn’t naturally open, there’s a little fiddling to get the clip in - especially if you are making the second adjustment after initially put up the hammock - that little refinement that dials in the comfort. In that case, you might be putting a little more tension on the strap as you unclip and hold and the hammock (under your arm) as you move to the next clip up or down.

It’s a small thing and just a matter of understanding your priorities. For example, the trade off between reduced bulk (tarp in smallest possible stuff sack) and ease/speed of deployment (tarp in snakeskins).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-29-2020 at 16:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts