Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,
    Please get this thread back on hammocks and off the pack/other gear. Otherwise this will get moved to the DM area which will do the OP no good. Thank you
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The catch-all sack is great. I haven't had the chance to load it in a pack yet but I was wondering how much it affects the volume vs stuffing the components into a liner bag separately. Seems to take up a bit more space but it's definitely worth it for the speed in setup and taking down of my hammock.

Some great suggestions have been made I think, but in the interest of keeping on topic I'll just point out a couple things. I haven't tried a tablecloth hammock yet but I've seen a big difference in volume between various fabrics, so you may want to look into something more compressible. Also what sort of tree huggers are you using? I've got some spider straps and they take up like no space. My wife's polyester straps take up quite a bit more.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I'm not generally an everything gets it's own stuff sack guy, but your hammock, tarp and underquilt have their own lines and that is one mess you don't want to have tangled up in your pack. You might try putting those in and letting your top quilt take up the space around them.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm working toward making my Hammock, Insulation, down jacket, fleecie, extra pair of socks, gloves, base layers all rolled up inside the hammock body, as the only inhabitants of my main inside compartment. You need some extra outside stuff pockets to accommodate things like Hammock and Tarp suspensions, rain/wind shirt, wind pants, cook, hygene and first aid kit, water filter, but none of those things needs much weather protection anyway.

For starters I would try to make sure that anything that doesn't need to be taking up volume inside the main compartment, isn't in there. Also keep in mind to have the things you need to set your Hammock Tarp up and get it staked into place, before you ever need to open the main compartment of you pack. Doing so will help to keep the rest of your Hammock kit safe and dry until you've created conditions to keep it that way.

Keep a close eye from trip to trip on the items that don't work out or don't get work at all. Your current Hammock, insulation, shelter kit and it's volume will remain static until you invest in crazy expensive light stuff. Try to get rid of things you don't use, and dedicate the most protected part of your pack for the items that require the most protection from the elements and environment.

That being said I'm not a big fan of strapping things to the outside of my pack. I prefer enough external mesh pockets to accommodate the rest of my Tarp and Hammock stuff including hip belt pockets.

Like everything Hammocks and fiddle factor and learning curve are unavoidable. I had some success in cooler weather using a ribs pack as a crutch to move the same stuff around to compensate for Hammock related volume considerations. Ultimately moving to the smaller pack will dictate most of the above, with no turning back once you start making headway.

Enjoy the journey furthering your Hammock related enjoyment
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123