Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You don't say what type/weight of sil-poly your tarp is made of. If it's a heavier weight fabric you could gain some space by going with a lighter fabric. And 12' x 8' is way overkill for all but the most inclement weather IMO. Especially the length. 11' is more than adequate for an 10.5-11' hammock.

You might also consider ditching the bladder and using 2 1-liter nalgene bottles (since weight isn't an issue for you) and carrying them in your hip-belt pockets. Or you could use Gatorade/SmartWater/LifeWater bottles if you decide to lighten the load a bit.

The poncho...carry this on the outside of the pack in the front mesh pocket or tied-up somewhere. FWIW, I bring all of the items you bring with the exception of the bladder and the poncho (I use a rain jacket) and it fits in my 38L Exos.

Edit
    I just re-read your post. I'd imagine your Costco throws are pretty bulky in their stuff sacks. Since you're carrying those in a 6-mil garbage bag anyway you might consider losing the stuff sacks and packing the throws loose in the bottom of the bag and then everything else on top. This should free up at least a little space. A 6-mil garbage bag? 3-mil is more than adequate IMO. I've used a 2-mil the last few years with no issues. That includes 2 back-to-back fully immersed creek tumbles during winter.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-27-2020 at 14:11.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe use the exterior pockets (does it have a big mesh pocket?) to hold some of the gear that's ok with getting wet (rain gear, straps, tarp, stakes). Also, post some pics of your gear spread out on the floor. I'm sure folks could point out some of the space hogs. The Costco quilts might be a tad on the bulky side, but your load out doesn't seem to be excessive. The only ones that would be variable are the clothes and food bags.

A 65L pack should swallow your gear. I use my Osprey Atmos when we go out for drunken overnighters, because I can add a soft side 12 pack cooler full of ice and beer with the rest of the gear.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I use my Osprey Atmos when we go out for drunken overnighters, because I can add a soft side 12 pack cooler full of ice and beer with the rest of the gear.
    If you're ever in the vicinity of Ohio on one of those trips, drop me a line.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    If you're ever in the vicinity of Ohio on one of those trips, drop me a line.
    Deal!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Agree with TrailRunner. Take the quilts out of their stuff sacks. Put your liner bag in your pack first, stuff your quilts and pillow in. Take out at least 1/3 of your extra clothing you're bringing and then pack those. I'm in the camp that feel like too many stuff sacks aren't effective. They cause lots of dead space in the pack. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Trying to reduce the volume of my loadout.

I agree no stuff sacks for the quilts. I have a 65L pack. In the past, I put a trash compactor bag in the main compartment, stuff the quilts in the bottom, clothes in a mesh stuff sack on top and then roll it down to get the air out. All my other gear, minus the tarp goes on top. My WBRR hammock is in their in the stuff sack. Tarp goes in stuff sack outside of the pack (I have a Tribe One PackNet attached to hold the tarp and my Ursack). This season I have cgone to a SLD hammock catch-all that goes into the bottom of the pack. It holds the hammock and quilts. I still add the clothes in the same way, roll down and the other gear goes on top. The catch-all speeds up the deployment of the hammock.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    What pack is it? Some mfgs include outside pockets in their capacity ratings. Your main compartment may be significantly smaller than 65L.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    This Backpacker magazine article provides a pretty good overview of the topic.

A couple of good books about UL philosophy and techniques/tips are Don Ladigin's Lighten Up! and Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips.

Hammock, quilts and tarp are important parts of the equation, for sure, but the other stuff counts, too.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Gregory Baltoro 65L

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Oofah - it's been a long time since I carried a pack that was 65 liters or more. When I first started hammock camping and serious backpacking, I had a 110 litre North Face pack which almost killed me - it was so easy to throw everything in there. But I really couldn't do more than 7 miles in a day with that weight.

So I bought a GoLite Jam 50 litre pack, and if it didn't fit in the pack, it didn't come on the trip. Later I bought a GoLite Jam 70 litre, but I rarely need that capacity, except in winter (0* quilts are bulky and weigh a lot).

So that's my advice - buy the pack and learn to live with it. You'd be surprised at how you can shave weight and bulk!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast