Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Trying to reduce the volume of my loadout.

I’m running into an issue with my camping loadout. It’s just too big. I’m not as concerned with weight, I’m just surprised that my loadout for an overnight is filling a 65L pack when other people thru-hike with 40L packs. I’m trying to see what I can do to get the volume down and have more room for extra water.

Current loadout:
    Hammock (10.5’ taffeta homemade) whoopie suspension, bugnet, and small pillow in one Black Bishop bag.

Top and bottom quilts are Costco down throws in their own stuff sacks.

12’ x 8’ silpoly tarp and tieouts/ridge line in a stuff sack.

Tree huggers in a zip lock bag.

Change of clothes in a small stuff sack.

(All of the above are rolled in a 6 mil garbage bag for water proofing.)

Cook kit (all fits in an Imusa 12cm pot.)

Food bag (usually has small dehydrated dinner and breakfast, then snacks.)

Reflectix rehydration cozy.

2L camelback bladder.

Poncho (military style)

This is everything that goes in the main compartment, but I still end up running out of space. I don’t feel like I’m carrying anything excessive, but I’m still cramped.

Any suggestions?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is one of my pack loading videos. May give some insight.
    The bladder may be taking up some space. That is why I carry water bottles instead.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hi SwingingBear and welcome to HF from a neighbor in Westchester county!

I don't know if you're a donating member yet, but unfortunately a discussion about reducing pack volume/weight is beyond the scope of hammock discussions that are permitted in the open (free) forums. Fortunately it only costs about $10 to become a donating member, and most of us find it is money well spent. Some suggested forums for this for donating members would be Round Table/Off topic, Backpacking or ultra lite gear forums.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How packable are the down throws compared to actual backpacking quilts? I had considered the Costco throws as a budget quilt set but veered away thinking they would be too bulky. No experience with them just seems to me the more you pay for a down camping quilt the smaller it tends to pack (comparing temp ratings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hi SwingingBear and welcome to HF from a neighbor in Westchester county!

I don't know if you're a donating member yet, but unfortunately a discussion about reducing pack volume/weight is beyond the scope of hammock discussions that are permitted in the open (free) forums. Fortunately it only costs about $10 to become a donating member, and most of us find it is money well spent. Some suggested forums for this for donating members would be Round Table/Off topic, Backpacking or ultra lite gear forums.
    Only if the focus of the discussion non-hammock related, like is a military style poncho way more bulky than say a frogg Troogs jacket.

Since his load out is 90% hammocking related like the costco down insulation then it could be on topic. Are these in compression stuff sacks of just stuff sacks that will take up more space. Is your insulation double costco throws or single? that is one area that sounds bulky to me.

Images
    #1 Tip: Use a vacuum travel bag to compress the poofy stuff.

#2 tip: Dont bring it:

Pillow: Don't take it. Use a jacket or "stuff spare clothes in stuff sack" trick.

Bladder: Don't take this either. Use any dime-a-dozen water bottles with screw caps instead. These can be stored in side pockets on most packs instead of wasting valuable interior space. Also weighs much less.

Hammock: Taffeta tablecloth hammocks are admittedly bulky. I use one in the backyard. If you're determined to skinny it down, switch to a lighter fabric hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Only if the focus of the discussion non-hammock related, like is a military style poncho way more bulky than say a frogg Troogs jacket.

Since his load out is 90% hammocking related like the costco down insulation then it could be on topic. Are these in compression stuff sacks of just stuff sacks that will take up more space. Is your insulation double costco throws or single? that is one area that sounds bulky to me.
    I agree, but so many times we've seen that a comprehensive discussion quickly and naturally veers away from hammocks/quilts/tarps to other gear.

There's just so much more to the topic than hammock-related items. Typically we're about 15-20 posts in when Deb steps in to remind us to stay on topic. (Not a complaint... an observation.)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree, but so many times we've seen that a comprehensive discussion quickly and naturally veers away from hammocks/quilts/tarps to other gear.

There's just so much more to the topic than hammock-related items. Typically we're about 15-20 posts in when Deb steps in to remind us to stay on topic. (Not a complaint... an observation.)
    HAHAHA! Guess I don't need to remind you to keep this on hammock items and not on camping related items since you just did it for me. Thanks
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    HAHAHA! Guess I don't need to remind you to keep this on hammock items and not on camping related items since you just did it for me. Thanks
    HAHAHA! Yes, that was my subtle hint to stay on topic too. But sneak in a comment on the poncho.

Guess my real comment to the op is yes you have some bulkier, DIY hammock gear. It will take up more space but if you have gear you are happy with and have a 65 liter pack do you really want to spend $200-$300 per quilt and more on a hammock to get down to a 40L pack? If you do you still will not have any extra space. If you got it and it works.... Or is it you want to free up more space for items you want to bring?

Images
    If you ever decide to upgrade your quilt set, choosing to have them made in 10D or even 7D fabric can make a big difference with packed volume.
    Changing to a hammock with an integrated bug net would reduce the volume, too.
    I honestly don't know how much space a military poncho takes up, but if you're keeping that in the main pack compartment, maybe you could move it to the mesh pocket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast