DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    In CA, we have a lot of idiots that leave trash, glass, play music, or graffiti. I got everything in olive green to avoid attention from random passer-by's, as I'd prefer to keep my favorite spots secret. I only tell friends about spots after I have vetted them and are sure they will leave no trace and also only tell people who leave no trace.

Also, I want to camp on a couple mountain ridgelines (or just below them in the trees on the north facing slopes) that are ranch land, state forrest, or water district land, but I guarantee no one ever goes up to where I would be or ever notice I was there in olive gear.

Basically, if you cant tell I was there, was I...?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Whenever the subject of stealth camping comes up,forgive me,but I have always wondered just who or what is it they we are hiding from and why? All my tarps are muted colors,no camo,but if I were to get a larger DCF tarp you better know it would be camo as I otherwise hate the standard green house transparent heat sink that it is otherwise.
    In my case stealth camping is usually the result of not having the time to travel to more preferred spots. Electing instead to slip in and out of little used somewhat out of the way spots, out lots back lots of closed businesses, or overgrown areas that otherwise remain unused. You are mostly hiding from anyone who might take interest of you being somewhere perhaps they think you shouldn't.

The cardinal rules? In after dark out before sunrise. keep lights and reflective surfaces to a minimum. Doesn't hurt to carry a 10 or 20 to drop on an angry landowner as you are quickly packing up and promising to never bother them again. If you aren't talking to LEO at this point, you are still ahead of the game.
    Signature suspended

I always stealth camp, unless it is a large gathering, which I rarely do. I am never breaking any laws, and cannot condone anyone doing so, but I prefer not to see or run into people when I am out, and one of the best ways to do that is to not be seen by others. It works well for me that part of my job involves camo and field work, so my playtime equipment often overlaps with my work equipment.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I make a point of selecting sites a good ways from trails and others, even in the national forest purchases and places I'm supposed to be as well, but wouldn't classify that as the urban stealth camping I thought the OP was addressing. Never was a campground person. That hasn't changed.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Even if you're not trying to hide from view, being subtle in the woods seems more respectful. If we all had blaze orange tents & tarps, we might find out there's a lot more people in the woods than we thought!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Deadeye, or you might meet them using camo. I’m sure it’s a cultural/regional difference but if I can see a campsite, I will do what I can to avoid it - give them privacy just as I might desire. It would be pretty bold to walk into someone’s camp - not knowing what you might meet there. But if it’s camo, “hidden”, then it is possible someone might just stumble into it.

It seems pretty difficult to get the camo right. Not only does it have to match the foliage in your neck of the woods, it has to match them by season. As others pointed out, a large rectangle of any color/pattern will stick out - though clearly not a vibrantly as blaze orange.

I wouldn’t rely on the color for stealth. I’d put up camp late and take it down early. And stuff all the gear in a bag I’d carry or hide.
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 07-29-2020 at 15:26.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Someone told me that bright colors attract unwanted wildlife.I wouldn't know and that's one more reason to have muted colors.Here is my set up on the left on a recent trip to the Ocmulgee River in Central Georgia.20200703_183642.jpg

I apologize for pic being upside down.Help?Anybody?Thanks
    Last edited by Five Tango; 07-29-2020 at 14:52.

I've actually found gray to be a color that blends in well to the shadows in most areas. And if you're hanging, you're probably in the shadows.

Hammock
    One wind 12' zippered
    Tarp
    Onewind 12' w/door
    Insulation
    Onetigris
    Suspension
    Tree straps/ whoop
    The current setup I'm running is an orange hammock with gray trim and a gray tarp with orange trim. Orange carabiners an orange and gray tree straps. I just want something a lot more subtle. Not looking to do anything against the law. But like others have said, if I'm off the side of a trail I don't need looky-loos knowing I'm there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12