Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hammock Camping Trail Badge

My sons are part of a scouting organization called Trail Life USA. It has a lot of similarities with the Boy Scout program, though Trail Life uses the term "Trail Badges" instead of "Merit Badges." Trail Life is a pretty new program and does not have the breadth of elective badges as BSA, so troops are permitted to come up with customized design-your-own badges.

George "Tin Man" Andrews, the founder of Antigravity Gear lives in the same city as our troop and has worked with the trailmen to make ultralight backpacking gear (primarily alcohol stoves and pot cozies) over the past few years. I worked with George over the summer to come up with a reasonable set of requirements that fit with Trail Life elective badge expectations and still captured much of the expertise one would expect of an experienced hammock camper. Some of this is inspired by the other threads about a BSA merit badge threads on this site, and some is from feedback from our troop committee. Here's what we came up with:

Hammock Camping
    Outdoor Skills Elective Badge
    Complete all of requirements 1-6:
    1. Learn the Leave No Trace and T.R.E.A.D. principles and explain what they mean to hammock camping. Describe how these principles fit with the Trail Life Oath.
    2. Learn Hammock Camping Basics, including:
      1. Describe the features of 3 different types or designs of camping hammocks and when and where they could be used.
      2. Explain the four main parts of a camping hammock sleep system:
        1. Suspension
        2. Hammock
        3. Tarp
        4. Insulation

3. Explain two types of suspension methods.
      4. Explain the proper care and storage of hammock sleep systems.
      5. Explain how to inspect your hammock system for safety before hanging
      6. Explain how to keep warm in a hammock, the different types of insulation options, and when to use them.
      7. Explain the tradeoffs between hammock and tent camping and outline why people might prefer one over the other.
      8. Describe the characteristics of a good site with respect to safety and protection from the elements.
      9. Explain how webbing straps (tree huggers) are used to protect trees while hammock camping.
      10. Research the local regulations which may prohibit the use of trees and hammock camping.

3. Tie the following, and explain where to use them in hammock camping:
      1. Prussic knot
      2. Marlin spike hitch
      3. Garda hitch
      4. Becket hitch
      5. Larks head

4. Show how to hang a camping hammock system for an overnight trip. Include hammock, tarp, and insulation. Explain your hammock system and why you chose that site location.
    5. Demonstrate how to hang a tarp for protection in the following weather conditions:
      1. Warm and dry
      2. Wet and rainy
      3. Windy
      4. Cold and Snow

6. Spend at least 5 nights camping outdoors in a hammock.

Complete 3 of the remaining requirements:
    1. Make your own camping hammock and spend at least 1 night in it.
    2. Build or assemble a hammock stand and spend at least 1 night in a hammock hanging from your stand.
    3. Pitch a ground shelter using your camping hammock system and sleep in it overnight.
    4. Make your own hammock insulation.
    5. Replace the suspension on your camping hammock with a different type of suspension. Explain why you chose this new type and how it has improved your overall hammock camping experience.
    6. Sew your own bug net to use with your hammock system.
    7. Make your own tarp to use with your hammock system.
    8. Mentor others in the use of a hammock sleep system. Do one of the following:
      1. Teach a younger unit or patrol how to set up a hammock sleep system and explain to them the use of each part of the system.
      2. Assist a Trailman who is unfamiliar with hammock camping on a campout. Guide him through safety, site selection, setup, adjustment, use, and takedown of a hammock system so that he can experience spending at least 1 night in a hammock with your help and guidance.
      3. Mentor another Trailman to help him complete the Hammock Camping badge.

9. Write a buyer’s guide to help other Trailmen learn about and purchase hammock equipment. Include at least 3 types of equipment with at least 2 options for each, and provide recommendations based on what works well for you and what does not. Present your guide to your unit or patrol.

We have 9 trailmen working on the badge now, including my 11 and 12 year old boys. All of the trailmen are making their own hammock and bugnet under George Andrew's supervision. My 11 year old has now spent 6 nights in a hammock he sewed himself, including one night in a ground-pitch configuration in our backyard (thanks for the instructional video, Shug!). He just finished up the last few requirements earlier this week and will be the first in our troop to be awarded the badge.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also....And Sleep deeply for 10 to 12 hours. A requirement.
    Shug
    Former Scout
    Rat Patrol
    Troop 51
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    This is awesome! My son is a Trailman (Adventurer) and needs one more elective badge before he can begin working on the Freedom Award. Thanks so much!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Nice. My older son was the first Freedom Rangeman in our area. My youngest is working on his Freedom Service Project.

Doni Grande
    Adventurer Advisor
    Richmond, VA

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That's awesome! Great to run into a couple more Trail Life families on here. I'm our Troop Committee Chair right now and have 3 sons in the program. My oldest two are both Navigators (year 1 and year 2 of that program), and my youngest is a 2nd year Hawk.

Images
    Merit Badge.jpg

I don't remember any of the details but many years back a merit Badge was made by a Hammock Forums member. I don't know if they were ever made official with the scouts but I bought two just to put on my backpacks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OutandBack, do you remember who? Do you know if they are still available?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I think this is the original BSA merit badge thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ge-Help-Needed
    I think that group buy was back in 2011.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    I think this is the original BSA merit badge thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ge-Help-Needed
    I think that group buy was back in 2011.
    Thank you docbrown, I could not remember anything about the merit badge.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks like there are about 157 posts on the subject and most of those that I read are suggestions about the requirements. So the question remains. Is this “patch” a real thing? If so, is there a source I could contact to discuss a small order? Or is it something only available to a scout who satisfies what ever criteria was settled on?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast