Low back pain after 4-5 hours in the Hammock?

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has low back pain while in the hammock. I just got a Dutchware Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon wide. I am 185 pounds and 6 feet tall. I have no experience with Hammocks. I have watched a couple of Shugs videos on set-up.

Here is what I have so far. it's been about 4 nights and I get the same feeling. Lower back is sort of dull pain at around 3-4am. I have been going inside at that point most nights. Last night I switched my lie and shoved a pillow under my low back and that made the pain go away eventually. Pulled the pillow out and stayed sleeping until 7am.

My pillow is a small backpacking pillow with a little foam and an inflatable option. I don't inflate it and I sort of just curl it under my neck. my lay angle doesn't seem that extreme. And I think I need to experiment with a looser ridgeline, it's been pretty tight.

I am curious if maybe the 1.6 Hexon just has too much stretch and I needed a double layer or heavier fabric.

Hammock G.jpg
    Hammock GA.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rhitter; 07-24-2020 at 18:26.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I basically had the same problem with my CHAMELEON, unfortunately after a few weeks I gave up and went back to my Blackbird XLC. Never did figure it out but the pain did go away. All I can say is Good Luck hope you figure it out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could maybe be the fabric. Some folks need a bit more support.
    Hope you find the groove.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Though preferably you won't need to do anything, but have you tried placing a small (or large) pillow under your knees? That can have many comfort benefits, as well as taking stress off of the lower back.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Low back pain after 4-5 hours in the Hammock?

the pillow under the knees may help...it works for me sometimes. what's been more effective, though, is scooching down in the hammock so my feet end up slightly higher than my head. this, plus a good diagonal lie have helped the most. I've got a Dutchware netless in the same fabric (Hexon 1.6 wide) and am the same height, but with a little more gravitational pull (around 225 pounds worth).

Thanks all. Ill give some options a try. I also set up a 4x4 so that I can get a 19 feet between my supports instead of my 12 or 15 to a low fence. I'll see if getting a good 30 degree angle on the straps makes a difference.

Try the finger thumb bend rule with the RL.... if it is taut similar to that of a guitar string.... back off some with a little hammock suspension, then whist in the hammock... from the RL notice if you can bend it with thumb and finger something towards a 45* bend, in someways mellows out the hammock body for a less compromising lay position.... Good luck mate!
    Last edited by Cabbo; 07-26-2020 at 00:08.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I get lower back pain in most 40D fabrics like the 1.6 Hexon. When getting into the hammock, I feel great at first. But after 3-4 hours I wake up with lower back pain and the urgent need to stretch out. The lay of a 40D hammock simply is not as flat as the lay of a 70D hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I get lower back pain in most 40D fabrics like the 1.6 Hexon. When getting into the hammock, I feel great at first. But after 3-4 hours I wake up with lower back pain and the urgent need to stretch out. The lay of a 40D hammock simply is not as flat as the lay of a 70D hammock.
    This has been mostly my experience as well. Every cotton hammock I have tried causes this issue too, though I have no idea what the cotton is rated at to compare to the nylon. In the lighter half of the nylon spectrum, 1.3mtn works really well for me, better than most anything else. My new 1.0 monolite seems promising, but I won't know until I sleep in it for a few nights, if it gets past just one night.

With a good fabric and setup, I find I don't need a pillow for my head or legs, but ymmv.

I think a looser and wider hang has helped (i.e. more in line with the ultimate hang calculator). I also haven't slept as deeply for a few nights now, so it's hard to tell. I think shifting around helps just enough. But, knowing what I know now I probably would have ordered something with more support i.e a 70d fabric.

• + New Posts