Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Cumberland Island

Booked a two-night backpacking trip for my son and I to Cumberland Island in South Georgia (just above the FLA/GA border. Anyone ever been? If so, got any tips? We’re going to camp the first night at Stafford Beach and then trek to the north side of the island and stay the second night at the Yankee Paradise wilderness area. Lot of great history there (and I’m a history buff), so I’m looking forward to it. Wish it would cool off a bit though. The heat this summer has been insufferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I haven’t but my family and I are looking to spend 4-5 days there over thanksgiving.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have always wanted to do that trip. You better do a trip report for us....
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    DIY DBL GE 1.0
    I’ve been to Cumberland twice, long long ago. I absolutely love it, and hope to go back! Haven’t stayed at either Stafford or Yankee Paradise (camped at Hickory Hill on the last trip), but have been through both and like both. As for tips:
    1) Invest heavily in permethrin! The ticks and mosquitoes were insane! And I grew up in North Florida, so I thought I would be acclimated. How wrong I was. I distinctly remember laying on a ground cloth looking up into the trees one evening after dinner as the cloud of mosquitoes descended out of the trees to feast upon us. The only place I’ve ever seen anything like it is in the Glades.
    2) The local wildlife is amazing and not at all afraid of people. We had visitors every day to our campsite; wild horses, armadillos, even an 8+ foot alligator! Being the intelligent people that we are, my wife and I hid in our tent from the gator because, you know, nylon is such a protective barrier in such situations. So the moral is, practice good food safety and storage.
    3) Potable water on Cumberland often meant sulphur water so be prepared. This may have been remedied as one of the sources we used is now listed as non-potable.
    4) Take lots of pictures! Cumberland is one of the most beautiful examples of a southern coastal island you will ever see, especially in the wilderness area.

Enjoy the trip, you will remember it roundly forever!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Thanks so much, Pteropus! I will heed your words, especially about the mosquitoes and ticks. Hate those jokers.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I'm from St. Simons, a couple islands north. Bug spray!!! Mosquitoes and horse flies can be bad, but the sand gnats will eat you up if the weather is nice. Amway D-15 kills them. Skin so soft will work to keep them from biting you, they don't get through the oil to your skin. Smoke keeps them away. I'm not recommending smoking by any means but a cigar or pipe smoke will help too. If I had my kids, I would skip the cigars or pipe though.

BEA-U-TI-FUL place. Wild horses, great wildlife, white"ish" sand dunes and bluffs. Christmas Creek on the northern end/ocean side offers great trout fishing with the occasional flounder and redfish. Surf fishing is decent certain times of the year for trout, small sharks and whiting.
    KCCO

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Cumberland Island

I read on the Florida Trail’s website that almost nothing works for sand gnats, including Deet. Said the only thing they’ve found that’s effective is a product called Cactus Juice, which is so hard to find they recommend ordering it straight from the manufacturer. https://cactusjuicetm.com Anyone ever use it?

I know some people prefer to use natural products than some of the chemical-based ones, but I just want something that’s effective and I don’t have to constantly keep applying.

Last edited by kmjohnson1974; 07-26-2020 at 06:55.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    So many different opinions on the internet about what works and what doesn’t for sand gnats. Think I’m going to treat our clothes with Permetherin and carry 100% deet. May also wear long convertible pants and a shirt with long sleeves that I can roll up, although it will be so hot.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Skin So Soft works well enough and you'll still smell pretty after a couple days in the woods. It keeps them from being able to bite you IF you stay oily with the skin so soft.

I agree, DEET , Citronella, and other mosquito repellents don't do much for the gnats. I don't know if Permetherin works for them or not. I think there is a lemon oil or lemon grass oil bug spray that works for no see ums, the swarming gnats (but not biting) gnats in South GA and Gulf Coast of FL. Not sure it will work on sand gnats or not. It comes in a small 1-1.5 oz size perfect for campoing.

Good news is they will only be bad when it's pleasant in the morning and evening when it cools off a little and its very still. During the heat of the day and at night a little after dark they won't bother you. A seabreeze coming off the ocean will keep them at bay as well. I would definitely take breeze in to consideration when setting up camp and try not to block the breeze with a sand dune.
    KCCO

• + New Posts