Does width matter when using spreader bars?

I'm new to hammock camping. Started this year. I first got just a regular one as birthday present. Tried it at home but realized it was to small for me. I exchanged it for a wide to lay diagonally. Now I'm looking to add spreader bars but question is whatever width matter as much for a hammock with bars? Because I've also experienced with the wide that in windy conditions the hammock edges slaps around me.

Do you guys think it's overkill to go for a 78inches wide hammock with spreader bars or 58 is enough?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    dfgj45 - Welcome to the forum. Usually, if someone wants to use a bridge hammock - a hammock with spreader bars on the ends - they buy a bridge hammock. There are geometric issues at play and those engineering concerns have be dealt with in the bridge hammock design. I believe the body of the bridge hammock is narrower than the traditional GE (gathered end).

You might be thinking of a Brazilian Hammock. Those are sold mostly for backyard lounging, are as wide as the dimensions you mentioned, and usually made of woven cord of some type (or a solid thick cotton).

Other with more bridge experience can add to reasons why you can or cannot, or should not, just stick hoizontal poles on the ends of a GE and call it a bridge.

That extra material can be a feature if it keeps away mosquitos or provides some sun blocking.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Are you asking about adding bridge hammock style spreader bars to a gathered end hammock? That's a new one to me. I think I recall a hybrid hammock that was basically gathered at one end and has a bridge style spreader bar at the other. I don't recall any other details. If you just want to add some lateral bars for fabric management, I suppose it could be do-able, but if you're talking about using them as structural members, I am a bit confused.

Aside from that first question and just speaking of a normal gathered end hammock, personally at 6'1" height (1,85m), I find a 58" wide hammock slightly too narrow. Not a dealbreaker, but just a little too narrow for my optimum diagonal lay. On the other hand, I think a 78" wide hammock would be extremely too much. I have one hammock that's 68" wide and I don't really like it because it's simply more fabric than I need and the extra just flops around bothering me. 62" is about my sweet spot. I have a 64" Dream Hammock Sparrow that I like, but even it's a touch wider than I need.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dfgh45 View Post
    I'm new to hammock camping. Started this year. I first got just a regular one as birthday present. Tried it at home but realized it was to small for me. I exchanged it for a wide to lay diagonally. Now I'm looking to add spreader bars but question is whatever width matter as much for a hammock with bars? Because I've also experienced with the wide that in windy conditions the hammock edges slaps around me.

Do you guys think it's overkill to go for a 78inches wide hammock with spreader bars or 58 is enough?

Thanks
    You did not say how tall you were. But most people find great comfort in an 11'x60" gathered hammock. No spreader bars required.

Thanks for all replies. I'm 6ft tall 165lbs skinny. I wasn't planning to add bars to my existing gathered end hammock. It's 10x80,
    While the width helped my gett better lay I think it can still be improved. But I also understand that there is more tja. The size that matters. I already added a structural ridgeline for example.

I found a hammock that can be used as cocoon for naps but also comes with spreader bars In 60 and 80 widths.

I have a 9 foot Eno, I inserted a 6-inch by of 1.25-inch plastic pipe (ie spreader) in the gather hole in lieu of the continuous loop. I attached each end of a rope to the ends of the pipe and knotted them together 6 inches toward the suspension(creating a 6" triangle). I did this to simulate how a 10-foot hammock would hang and the net result was it was a success and was much more comfortable to lay in.

Hammock
    Townsend Big Guy
    Tarp
    thunderfly
    Insulation
    Klymit/KAQ
    Suspension
    Several
    This old thread from this forum might give you more info on this subject.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...694#post722694

• + New Posts