Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I trust permethrin a heckuva lot more than DEET. About 25 years ago, I was hiking with my kids in Massachusetts and the mosquitoes were horrendous. I had to spray myself constantly with the DEET. Suddenly, the walls caved in and I had a panic attack. On Monday, I tried to go to work, but the panic attacks continued. I couldn't understand what was happening, but I went to a psychiatrist and psychologist to find out what was going on. After about three weeks, the panic attacks stopped, but I was none too keen on ever using DEET again.

Which is when I discovered permethrin. I bought a bottle and tested it on clothing, and it worked wonderfully with no side effects. My daughter's birthday party was coming up and it was hot as hell here in New Jersey, so I got the bright idea to spray the entire back yard with permethrin. Believe me, the permethrin killed everything - not just mosquitoes, but every other insect that pollinated my vegetable garden. It was the worst season my garden ever had because I basically killed every pollinator around. My daughter had a wonderful birthday party in the back yard but my garden yielded very little fruit.

I've never sprayed my backyard with permethrin since then because I like home-grown vegetables. I still use permethrin on my clothes, and it just creates a no-fly zone around me. I still use DEET, though only in the evening or morning when the mosquitoes are most aggressive.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I trust permethrin a heckuva lot more than DEET. About 25 years ago, I was hiking with my kids in Massachusetts and the mosquitoes were horrendous. I had to spray myself constantly with the DEET. Suddenly, the walls caved in and I had a panic attack. On Monday, I tried to go to work, but the panic attacks continued. I couldn't understand what was happening, but I went to a psychiatrist and psychologist to find out what was going on. After about three weeks, the panic attacks stopped, but I was none too keen on ever using DEET again.

Which is when I discovered permethrin. I bought a bottle and tested it on clothing, and it worked wonderfully with no side effects. My daughter's birthday party was coming up and it was hot as hell here in New Jersey, so I got the bright idea to spray the entire back yard with permethrin. Believe me, the permethrin killed everything - not just mosquitoes, but every other insect that pollinated my vegetable garden. It was the worst season my garden ever had because I basically killed every pollinator around. My daughter had a wonderful birthday party in the back yard but my garden yielded very little fruit.

I've never sprayed my backyard with permethrin since then because I like home-grown vegetables. I still use permethrin on my clothes, and it just creates a no-fly zone around me. I still use DEET, though only in the evening or morning when the mosquitoes are most aggressive.
    I sprayed my yard with Permethrin for many years, and it did a great job. I have not needed to recently since I started using a hanging light/fan deal that attracts and sucks them in- can't think of he name of it right now. Speaking of DEET problems, have you ever tried picaridin for exposed skin?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I sprayed my yard with Permethrin for many years, and it did a great job. I have not needed to recently since I started using a hanging light/fan deal that attracts and sucks them in- can't think of he name of it right now. Speaking of DEET problems, have you ever tried picaridin for exposed skin?
    I tried picaridin once, but it did not seem as effective as DEET. With DEET, I will actually rinse that stuff off after dawn or dusk, because that's about the only time mosquitoes are a problem for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’ve use Picaridin and it sure feels/smells more body freindly than DEET. It worked fine when first applied but seemed to loose it’s effectiveness after an hour or so. It was about a year old. Though I’ve had no problems with it on my skin, I prefer to spray clothes instead - like my hat, shirt collar and sleeves. I bought some more at REI and didn’t realize that this time I picked up lotion instead of spray. I’m sure the lotion is fine and might be more effective - certainly newer - but better if the mosquitoes realize their season is over before I go out again.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Glad to hear permetherin works. I have some on order. Unfortunately the hammock got here before the spray. I thought spraying myself with bug spray well enough would get me through a night in my backyard in a new single layer hammock with bug net. Not a single bite on the top side, but I slept in a racerback top and every part of my back not covered by my clothes is now covered in mosquito bites. I probably have at least 30 or 40. I'll be dousing the hammock before spending another night in it for sure! I've never been bitten so many times before!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Any guesses on what might have bitten me through my clothes? I suppose on my shoulders and arm pits, they could have got in under my short sleeves. But the bite on the front of my hip(far top of my thigh) was under some shorts and underwear. I know mosquitoes bite thru thin clothing and single layer hammocks. But, in the past I have always seen and/or heard those, and I was watching for them and I never saw any. Not ticks either, I saw none and pulled none off of me. Never knew a bug was near me until I got home and started itching. What got me? Thoughts?
    Sounds like a classic case of chiggers/redbugs to me. They like waistbands, sock-cuff lines, and other places where fabric is right against the skin (as with the chest/armpit area when you stretch out on your back with hands behind head). Permethrin should keep them off, in the future.

To be fair, before I treated my clothes this season (bucket and clothesline method), I did get chiggerbit twice--in my own yard here in Montgomery, no less--and I picked up a couple of ticks (one each on two trips to a friend's land). But nothing since then.

I use a UQP (and typically a quilt as well), which keeps the mosquitoes from biting me through the hammock. But chiggers get on you the way ticks do, and crawl around until they find their happy place. (It was probably already too late when you laid on the repellent).

Here's to a bite-free future!

--Prof

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by professrh View Post
    Sounds like a classic case of chiggers/redbugs to me. They like waistbands, sock-cuff lines, and other places where fabric is right against the skin (as with the chest/armpit area when you stretch out on your back with hands behind head). Permethrin should keep them off, in the future.

To be fair, before I treated my clothes this season (bucket and clothesline method), I did get chiggerbit twice--in my own yard here in Montgomery, no less--and I picked up a couple of ticks (one each on two trips to a friend's land). But nothing since then.

I use a UQP (and typically a quilt as well), which keeps the mosquitoes from biting me through the hammock. But chiggers get on you the way ticks do, and crawl around until they find their happy place. (It was probably already too late when you laid on the repellent).

Here's to a bite-free future!

--Prof
    Well, then, Prof, chiggers sound like the most likely culprit. I've had those before but always mainly ankles and legs unless as a child I was rolling around in the grass. But I don't think it was too late before I put the repellent on, as I put it on before I left the vehicle and headed to the woods. Also, I had no bites anywhere where the skin was well covered with Picaridin. All of the were bites under my clothes where I maybe was less than thorough rubbing on the lotion or hitting with the spray. And of course, under my shorts where I did not apply it at all.

So, chiggers it is, probably. But, what is amazing, I did not go through any brush, and most certainly not any waist or shoulder high brush. And that is what I most associate chiggers with: walking through high grass or brush. Chiggers and ticks.

At least I did not get any ticks, and did not see or hear any mossies. I will be more loaded for bear next time though, what with my clothes and ger treated, plus I will from now on be more aggressive with the Picaridin on my skin, especially in those spots that are only marginally covered by clothing, like shirt sleeves area. That is where most of my bites were.

I am actually somewhat relieved at your idea that it might be chiggers, hope that is it, as they are not as well known for disease spread as som of those other beasts. But they sure do itch! Thanks for the tip!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    My guess is you were bit by a tick, but it didn't stick around because of the permethrin. The locations of your bites are prime tick territory.

I have had several bites over the years I've used permethrin which I'm sure are tick bites. I am very experienced in tick bites. Permethrin works really well but it is not a contact killer. It takes a little time and during that time you can get a bite as a parting gift. IMHO

Sounds like a re-treat is in order.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12