Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images

FL Suwannee at Christmas

I noticed that the Florida Trail follows the Suwannee river from Big Shoals to the mill creek campground. I was thinking of planning a kayak trip down part of this river between Christmas and New Years. (Monday through Thursday) The planning is all still preliminary but I was wondering if anyone else would think this is a good idea. Some people could hike and some could kayak. Is the river a good level for kayaking at Christmas? I was thinking about doing an easy 30 miles (10 each Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, then pack out on Thursday) Anyone have a suggestion on where to start and finish? I can’t think of anything else right now, but the planning is good medicine.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

FL Suwannee at Christmas

Interested in between Christmas and New Years but not on the holidays dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Bomber21

Interested

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    The water level was low this past December but I do believe still doable. I haven't paddled past Steven Foster's State Park.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I've paddled the Suwannee from the headwaters to Lafayette Springs but it was earlier in the year. Big shoals was too shallow to attempt in a fully loaded touring kayak and I still got bounced around on the rocks just below it. The river is going to be low that time of the year but I don't think you will have much of a problem. I'd even be interested in going. There are a lot of nice river camps past White Springs, fully enclosed, with hammock hooks in the walls.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    When we went through big shoals we took the bypass trail to the left and hammock camped above the rapids. Not a single snoring hanger was heard. That day everyone took the bypass trail. Our medic was telling everyone he had a staple kit and itching to use it, LOL!

The water level was 65' and climbing, I think it hit 71' 3 days later.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I am thinking I will drive up Sunday afternoon and camp near the car then kayak Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will look at starting at Big Shoals and see how far apart the river camps are at that point. If the river is not moving then 10 miles a day will be about my limit (three days in a row). Then using Thursday to take out and get back to the car for the drive home.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I'd start in White Springs. Launch at Stephen Foster and then it's 10 miles to the 1st river camp at woods Ferry. The camps are about 10-12 miles apart at that point I believe.
    https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...il/river-camps

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I have found that the river camps and the trail camps don’t really coincide. Woods ferry is not any where near the trail for example. So this is what my first stab is (camp sites according to Guthooks Florida Trail) Launch at Big Shoals and kayak/hike to Waldrons Landing for the first night (Sunday night - about 4 miles) Monday night at Swift Creek camp site (About 11.5 miles on Monday on the river, not sure what the hike would be) Tuesday night at Crooked Branch (about 10.5 miles on Tuesday) and Wednesday night at Holton Creek (about 14 miles on Wednesday) We can take out at Holton Creek or Gibson Park Ramp 5 miles down river. This is ambitious but there is only one camp between Crooked Branch and Holton Creek so this is as evenly spaced as I could make it. Let me know what the hikers think (or is everyone planning on kayaking? In which case we could use the river camps but they are few and far between.)

Or we could launch at Stephen Foster park and make the first night (Sunday) Swift creek (1000 feet down river) . Then Wednesday night would be Alapaha camp ground about 9 miles down from Holton Creek. We could go back up river to Gibson Park Ramp on Thursday (about 1800 feet)or 5 miles down to Road 141 ramp.
    Last edited by sunsetkayaker; 07-28-2020 at 15:01.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I decided to shorten the trip by 1 day because I am wanted at home during that time as well. This is the schedule I am trying to stick with:

Launch at Stephen Foster park and make the
    1st. (Sunday) Dec 27, Swift creek (4 miles down river) .
    2nd. Monday night Dec 28 at Crooked Branch (about 10.5 miles on Monday)
    3rd. Tuesday night Dec 29, at Holton Creek. Restrooms and showers available.(about 14 miles on Tuesday)
    Take Out: Wednesday morning Dec 30. We can take out at Holton Creek or Gibson Park Ramp nearly 6 miles down river.

I tried to make a reservation for the Holton Creek river camp but it is not on Reserve America and I can’t find another place to make reservations. I also don’t think there is a way to reserve the Florida Trail camps. I think they are just first come first served. If anyone knows any more information, please let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast