Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    Ok, I'll drop my opinion too, though I'm not sure how qualified I am to do so.

If I understand your question correctly, you're contemplating the difference between a $20 hammock vs a $160 hammock. Beyond the obvious difference in price, here's what I think...

$20 hammock... Depending on exactly it's type, and making a few assumptions, while it might work well enough for hammock camping, but likely is more so intended for relaxing in the backyard. This one is likely mass produced in China to achieve such a low price.

$160 hammock... This is a hammock that has bee researched, tested, refined specifically for hammock camping. Because of its specific niche it's more than likely not mass produced.

I currently have and primarily use an 8ft generic hammock I bought off wish.com for about $10. I'm 5'11" and for me right now, it's comfortable enough for the couple of nights a year I get out. I will be upgrading my hammock at some point in the future. I'm fortunate that I get to camp once in a while with other people that have some of the purpose built camping hammocks that I can lay in to try out different manufacturers and styles.

So my opinion is get which ever you can afford. If you have the opportunity to try the expensive one you're looking at before you buy to make sure it's going to work for you, I'd try before you buy.

Just my thoughts.
    If you want to try something truly decent without spending a bundle, consider a Dutch netless in Hexon 1.6 with fixed SRL, Knotty mods (essential for symmetrical netless hammocks, IMO!) and CLs only, using whatever suspension you already have. That's about $70 and a purchase you are very unlikely to regret, and even if you do it will retain excellent resale value.

I'm 5'9" and slept one night in my Grand Trunk uber-light, shortie hammock as a test and it was absolutely horrible compared to a "real" hammock. Fortunately, being an ORG (Old Retired Geezer) I am able to backpack rather frequently so the "amortized" cost of a quality hammock to me is zilch. BUT, even if I were only a very occasional hanger I'd still get a decent hammock after experiencing the stark, painful contrast between the two.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'll stick my nose into this, too. I started with a Walmart camping hammock with bug net found in the clearance bin. I hung it in the backyard and slept 11 hours. After a lot of reading and study, I got a Chameleon Wide. The fabric was nicer, the lay was flatter, and I could get lots of things to customize it. I got some free hexon 1.7 at a hang and made a 12 foot hammock out of it then a Fronkey bugnet. That's my most comfortable gathered end hammock. Now I'm using a Big Guy Bridge from Just Bill Townsend.

The Bridge hammock is a whole new level of comfort. Not cheap at $400 with the bug net but so far worth every penny. The attention to detail and all the little touches that were included are amazing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Based on this thread, I went and purchased the Ripstop by the Roll Appalachian Hammock ($29 shipped w/ continuous loops). My concern is that it is made of 1.9oz Nylon, while everything else I have been reading up on seems to be of much lighter fabric, such as 1.2oz nylon. Why would someone decide to use a 1.9oz nylon hammock over a 1.1oz nylon hammock. The available products seem to be between 1.0 to 2.2 in weight, with the 1.0oz being experimental and not for everyone to the 2.2oz being bulky and cheap.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yuphehe View Post
    Based on this thread, I went and purchased the Ripstop by the Roll Appalachian Hammock ($29 shipped w/ continuous loops). My concern is that it is made of 1.9oz Nylon, while everything else I have been reading up on seems to be of much lighter fabric, such as 1.2oz nylon. Why would someone decide to use a 1.9oz nylon hammock over a 1.1oz nylon hammock. The available products seem to be between 1.0 to 2.2 in weight, with the 1.0oz being experimental and not for everyone to the 2.2oz being bulky and cheap.
    The feel and support and stretch or lack there-of are some reasons. Durability.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yuphehe View Post
    A segment of the hammock members are ultralight. I am talking .003 grams will have some salivating, and that is fine. Every bit helps to lighten the load. Others pack their fears.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think a variant to “People pack their fears.” might be “People pack their responsibilities.” By myself, I could get along fine. However, with others - a team - the thinking/concerns extend beyond oneself. Then again, too many times of “Saving the day” seems to enable a lack of preparation in others. It’s a balance.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I think a variant to “People pack their fears.” might be “People pack their responsibilities.” By myself, I could get along fine. However, with others - a team - the thinking/concerns extend beyond oneself. Then again, too many times of “Saving the day” seems to enable a lack of preparation in others. It’s a balance.
    If you make a habit of sending out a packing list of mandatory items and then do a thorough pack dump and gear check right at the trailhead you can put a swift end to that problem.

I'm very tolerant of noobs... up to a point. Repeatedly forgetting things or refusing to take responsibility for their own critical items indicates a lack of seriousness. I've had that happen and quickly figured out that some folks were simply using me as a free guide service.

So if somebody repeatedly forgets his/her hammock suspension, sitting on foam pad and leaning against a tree all night will insure that it will never, ever happen again. Either that or you will be forever condemned to carry duplicate gear for every possible contingency.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you make a habit of sending out a packing list of mandatory items and then do a thorough pack dump and gear check right at the trailhead you can put a swift end to that problem.

I'm very tolerant of noobs... up to a point. Repeatedly forgetting things or refusing to take responsibility for their own critical items indicates a lack of seriousness. I've had that happen and quickly figured out that some folks were simply using me as a free guide service.

So if somebody repeatedly forgets his/her hammock suspension, sitting on foam pad and leaning against a tree all night will insure that it will never, ever happen again. Either that or you will be forever condemned to carry duplicate gear for every possible contingency.
    It sounds like maybe you've had experience as a Scout Leader!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    It sounds like maybe you've had experience as a Scout Leader!
    LOL ... 35 years fed LEO and military. Used to be if you showed up for firearms qualification and didn't have the appropriate number of spare magazines for one of your weapons you were sent to the office to do paperwork and come back later with another squad to qualify. Typically the paperwork was quarterly activity summaries or accident reports, which everybody hated with a burning passion because they involved reviewing stacks of other paperwork before writing the report.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Why would someone decide to use a 1.9oz nylon hammock over a 1.1oz nylon hammock.
    Because I'm fat and don't like falling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast