Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

UQ Protector

Just getting into this hammock thing. Got a custom built Dream Hammock Darien, UGQ tarp, and a EE Revolt Custom UQ. How important is it to have a UQ protector? Planning on a weeklong section hike on the AT in Oct, so I’m trying to dial my gear down to as light as can be, but not be stupid light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kmjohnson1974; 07-20-2020 at 21:07.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd say it's definitely a "your mileage may vary" situation. I usually don't use a UQP, and don't miss it. However, I have been out when I was glad I had it. It's most helpful in cold, really windy weather where it can cut heat loss by convection, or when there is a heavy driving rain where it can keep the underquilt drier. If you're expecting such weather, and you're not confident in your ability to counteract the weather through site selection and tarp set-up, then take your UQP. It's cheap insurance against a cold night.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    This is going to elicit varied responses ranging from: "Buy a full sized tarp with doors and save the weight of carrying an UQP" to "Always carry a UQP no matter what because even if I get a very heavy misty fog it could saturate my UQ" but my approach is somewhere in the middle. I have a UQP from 2QZQ (they are on the vendor section of this forum and one of the pioneers of UQPs as far as I know) that I do not carry all the time but is almost always with me when temps get down below freezing. I have bigger tarps, but unless it's forecasted for bad weather I always opt for my Hammock Gear (also in the vendor section) DCF hex tarp. It's small and very light. People say that UQPs extend the temp range of quilts by a few degrees lower. I don't know about that, but I do know that they are invaluable when the wind picks up by blocking heat loss from any gaps in your underquilt. Yes, the combined weight of the hex tarp and UQP is about the same as the winter tarp I have but I still like the flexibility of having a simple, small, light tarp to take on warmer fair weather trips. If the weather is going to be a little messy and cold, I'll still take the hex but add the UQP, but if the weather is going to be really messy and cold, I'll take the big tarp and probably still take the UQP anyway. Yes I know, you can never predict the weather in the mountains but what can I say, I'm a gambler. If it gets sideways, I can-and have- make do with the hex. PS. October in GA should be great weather on the AT. Prepare for crowds on the weekends. Usually it's one of our dryer months. Without seeing a forecast, I'd probably take my hex and the UQP. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    [Standing before the group], “My name is cougarmeat and I’m a UQP owner.” In addition to the advantages skater listed above, if you are setting up alone, having a UQP makes the fit just a bit less critical. Also, I’ve “heard” that occasionally, while setting up or taking down, the hammock might slip from your grip and end up on the ground. But there are those who have never ever used one and don’t see any reason for one.

It’s like the world is divided into two types of people; Chocolate Chip cookie people and Oatmeal Raisin cookie people. And they can live in harmony; neither coveting the cookies of the other. So it is with UQP’s.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I probably should add that I have the 12’ Winterdream tarp with doors by UGQ.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post

In that case, assuming you have a more than adequate rated UQ and are reasonably adept at adjusting it to fit, and the weather forecast isn't too cold (hard to tell in OCT in NEGA mountains), I might consider skipping the UQP but I have a hiking buddy or two who I know would disagree. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Thanks. My UQ is a 20 degree version from EE. I guess I should have also clarified that we will hiking in VA. I think the overnight temps could get in the low 40s there in Oct.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like mine in cold high winds to keep the heat from being robbed from my UQ. Though I do like smaller tarps for the view.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post

Then it is very unlikely that you will ever actually "need" the UQP. Unless you always prefer a high, wide, pitch with porch whenever possible. An UQP will allow you to not worry much about sideways wind or rain, regardless of pitch. Just as it will do with a smaller, lighter tarp(which it will allow you to get away with using).

Also, if you are the kind to enjoy sleeping with out a tarp on a starry night when there is about zero chance of rain, it will allow you to do so even if a very cold wind is blowing, without freezing your back. If using a tarp(of any size) and the wind shifts on you, and you were not totally closed in a large tarp with doors(which can be unpleasant and condensation prone), then it should not be a problem however much the wind shifts.

But if you already have a larger tarp with doors, and the skills to pitch it correctly, you probably will not have much "need" for the UQP. But hard to say if you might enjoy it even without a need, or end up finding it useful even with the larger tarp. And of course, if already using the larger tarp, how much the additional weight and bulk the UQP adds, is a concern for you is also part of the question, which only you can answer. With a smaller tarp, weight/bulk added might just be a wash.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-20-2020 at 22:14.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Thanks, everyone! I’ll probably wait to add it if I eventually decide to spring for a smaller, lighter tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast