Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I’ll probably wait to add it if I eventually decide to spring for a smaller, lighter tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's great to have options when it comes to tarps!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I’ll probably wait to add it if I eventually decide to spring for a smaller, lighter tarp.
    I've never been able to rationalize needing an underquilt protector since I like my HG DCF Winter Palace, a 4-season tarp with doors that is around 9 ounces. A UQP would add another 5 ounces. I just don't see the point of using a skimpy tarp if it involves adding five ounces for a UQP. Even if I was using silnylon or silpoly, I'd still probably just get a 4-season tarp with doors and skip the UQP.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never been able to rationalize needing an underquilt protector since I like my HG DCF Winter Palace, a 4-season tarp with doors that is around 9 ounces. A UQP would add another 5 ounces. I just don't see the point of using a skimpy tarp if it involves adding five ounces for a UQP. Even if I was using silnylon or silpoly, I'd still probably just get a 4-season tarp with doors and skip the UQP.
    Very true......IF you only want to buy one tarp and be done. I've got the Palace as well-mine's in camo and weighs about 15 ounces all rigged out with sleeve, tieouts, and suspension. My hex is also camo and about 9 ounces rigged out. The combined weight of the hex and UQP is almost exactly the same as the Palace, but unless I'm fairly certain the weather will warrant it, I'll almost always leave the Palace at home and take the hex for the following reasons: Combined the UQP and Hex are less bulky in my pack than the Palace. I know many carry their tarps externally on their packs and this is not an issue, but it is for me. Secondly, I'm a simple man (read into that what you will) who likes simple things. Outside of an asym, the hex is about as simple as a tarp can get. Thirdly, as Shug said, it's easier to pitch the hex so I can get a good view. None of those issues may be factors to those who decide to carry the 4 Season tarps year round. I definitely am not saying my way is right for anyone but me but that's the rationale behind my thinking.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    40 degree trailwinder stays on my rig 365

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Leave it at home unless you plan it camp in exposed windy places. I have an UQP and it stays home for longer trips like this. I pull it out when I’m weekend camping at Grayson Highlands and the wind is gusting and cold.

Images
    As I said earlier, and in agreement with some other folks, an UQP is superfluous if you already have the more expensive, bulkier and heavier tarps. Of course DCF is only heavier compared to a smaller DCF tarp, and will be lighter than even smaller sil-ny tarps, but that weight cost $. And I'm not sure DCF doesn't have a couple of other drawbacks of it's own. Durability? Seems like when I have heard of some one poking a hole with a bridge spreader bar, it has been with DCF tarps. But I'm not at all certain of any of that. But for most of us, the larger tarps are going to cost and weigh more and be bulkier, for when that is a concern. For some of us it is not a concern.

Also, larger tarps have some advantages not related to simply making an UQP superfluous, more or less. Do multiple folks like to gather in one spot for a meal or card game, stuff like that? Big tarp to the rescue, no UQP with a tiny tarp is going to match that! Which is why I some times use larger tarps.

But now I am going to state a purely personal opinion that I don't think I ever have quite spelled out before. Hopefully I won't be stoned for doing so , because that is all it is, an opinion based on my personal experience, which is limited. (and also keep in mind that my experience is MOSTLY based on a specific form of UQP, the HHSS, and might not fully apply to all UQPs) Here it is:

An UQP, with or without a larger tarp, is superior(for sleeping in the hammock) in protection to a large tarp by itself, and far superior to a no door and some what smaller tarp and way superior to a asym tarp. With any given tarp, the UQP is superior protection. With a smaller tarp, it can still actually be superior protection to even the larger tarps, at least while in the hammock(obviously useless for sitting under the tarp in a camp chair or on a pad). ( I'm running for cover! )

Why do I feel that way? Let me count the ways. First, a few personal experiences:
    1: using a high quality, 10X11 foot tarp pitched fairly low, an intense storm arrived and when it was over splash up from the ground had gotten the bottom of my down UQ pretty wet. I say splashup, but there could have also been some sideways element from the wind, as this was not a tarp with doors, and the tarp was pitched low, but not all the way to the ground. My HHSS by comparison, has been pitched in a totally exposed position with the only 2 trees anywhere near by were 21 ft apart. Under that stock asym tarp( just two stakes, and ridge line attached to the HH ropes not trees) that always looks so exposed to me. Under very nearby tornado conditions that had me regretting leaving my hammock out in that, since watching from the house I was certain the wind was going to destroy it. Very heavy rains with very heavy winds. When I went out after the storm had passed, the under cover( a sort of UQP) was covered with water drops, but all inside of it was bone dry, except for about a tablespoon of water collected in the low point of the under cover. Now admittedly, a tarp even larger than my 10X11 rectangular(no hex), with closed doors and pitched right to the ground, if all the stakes held, would have equaled that amount of protection. But it would have to be really big, especially if I am to avoid rubbing on the condensation covered inside of the tarp when getting in and out. And closed doors can worsen the condensation problem. That condensation can drip down on me when the wind hits the sides hard, or again, if I have to get in or out.

2: I have once or twice had stakes pull loose, allowing some sideways rain to blow in. To whatever degree that comes in from the side or bottom, that is protected by the UQP, which is never going to come loose.

3: I have a friend whose tarp developed a spontaneous leak, another who had a branch fall and puncture his tarp. This is not related to UQPs, more to socks(TQPs?), but the breathable top cover of the HHSS will definitely reduce the impact of such a leak. When getting caught with light rain and no tarp, it has provided enough protection to keep the inside dry.

Now, just some general concepts that my opinion is based on:
    1: A completely closed up or storm pitched tarp, in my experience, is prone to a lot of condensation which likes to drip down on me. A wider pitched, and/or doors open tarp has significantly less condensation, or at least I can more easily avoid bumping into it and causing a rain storm under the tarp. If the hammock is protected by an UQP, it will at least equal the protection of the larger tarp with closed doors.
    2: A larger tarp pitched higher/wider and/or with doors partly open will probably have fewer condensation problems. But if windy at all, and especially if the wind shifts during the night, this will allow breezes under the hammock. Even a slight breeze or moving air will reduce the warmth of an UQ by at least a few degrees. Obviously a lot of breeze can wipe out the warmth rating. This will be a non factor with a wind proof, or even just resistant, UQP. I have been amazed to hang out in my 20F UQ, at 40+F but very breezy under a wide pitched ( or no) tarp, toast warm until the big gust hits and then felt significant cold on my back. I have replaced that set up with the HHSS and did not feel even the biggest gusts, could not even tell any difference mo matter how much wind.
    3: Now you might say about #3 right above: well, you dufus, lower your tarp or get a bigger tarp. But how many of us want to be sealed up under a storm pitched tarp for hours, compared to a somewhat high and wide pitched tarp that we can see out of, maybe with a nice breeze blowing over us? In fact, how many like to go tarp less sometimes, when the weather is great except for one thing: wind? Obviously that will be much less of a problem with an UQP.
    4: Fog banks. They role in under even large tarps and soak every thing. I think they are less likely to go under a snug fitting and warmer under cover like the HHSS, than they are to soak an exposed UQ.
    5: Now some of you may have had some condensation issues with an UQP. Especially if you use a wind proof, water proof cover such as sil-nylon. Basically a tarp under you. And if you have, then that may negate many of my points, just swapping closed up tarp condensation for condensation in the UQP. But I don't have such problems because I either use a warm side vapor barrier - such as a space blanket right under my hammock but on top of all insulation and the outer, cold side, sil-nylon under cover/UQP, or I wear VB clothing. This keeps all or most of my body vapor from condensing on the cold outer cover, and I just don't have problems with that, never have. Or, I have a sil-nyl poncho UQP for my WBRR, which hangs down low enough- and even is help out a bit at the sides by the spreader bars- so that it is not in direct contact with my UQ. So far, my limited use of that has not been a problem. And hopefully people using a breathable UQP are not having much condensation problems, but I do not really know. So, yes, condensation inside the UQP is a potential problem, but has not been a problem for me. And I don't think most of the other HHSS users, few in number though we are, have had much trouble, unless they try and bypass using the space blanket.

So, there you have it: The reasons I feel the UQP approach is actually superior protection (to the UQ, while sleeping!) to the larger tarp approach. Even if using a smaller tarp. Of course, if not so concerned with weight and bulk, you can do both, or something in the middle.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-21-2020 at 20:34.

I agree with BB58 about the benefits of the UQP. I was asking this very same question a few months ago, and though I don't like the 5 extra oz it adds, I do find that the wind blows most of the time where I am, and the UQP keeps me MUCH warmer than if I just use an UQ. Some of my UQ's are supposed to be wond proof, and maybe they are, but I still freeze when the wind comes around, so the UQP works for me. Plus I like small tarps, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12