New to hammocks, not new to primitive camping.

Howdy, y'all.

I'm from the Mid Atlantic area, and my partner's big into hammocks. I'd like to be able to enjoy hammocks but laying in them is not comfortable for me, and I'm clumsy, so getting in and out is a trial. I am here to learn about hammocks, mostly. I'm told there are hammocks out there for side sleepers, and this interests me a great deal. I'm also curious about this whole dispersed camping concept...we don't have it anywhere in Maryland, to my knowledge.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I usually recommend new hammock campers
    Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube series: how to hang a hammock, insulation both pads and quilts, how to pitch your tarp etc. Shug’s videos are informative and entertaining.

Attend two local group hangs. Y’all will meet good people who will gladly show you their setups.

I also usually recommend getting a gathered end hammock sized 11x5, as opposed to shorter hammocks that are in all the stores. For these longer hammocks, there are cottage vendors specializing in fine hammocks and accessories you will need.

Side sleeping is a tall order. Many bed side sleepers do quite well sleeping on their back in gathered end hammocks.
    For side sleeping there are options.
    Amok hammocks are pitched sideways and also accommodate side sleeping.
    Bridge hammocks, especially larger (wider) bridge hammocks.
    SMR Sierra Madre Research offers a Ninox hammock that might give a side sleeper good comfort. Also Ninox has a very flat lay.

Try an 11x5, sleeping on your back! Give it at least 2 consecutive nights. Lots of times, your first night in any hammock does not give deep sleep. Deep sleep will probably occur on second or third night.
    After you become accustomed to whatever hammock you choose, deep sleep will become easier.

Now to clumsiness and fear of falling out or falling when you are getting in or out.
    Be careful getting in and out of Amok and bridge hammocks.
    When using a gathered end hammock, install a hammock ridgeline made of 7/64 amsteel or 1/8 amsteel.
    Place a sheet, pillow, blanket, or quilt in your hammock—this will help keep it open for you to sit in before turning to lie down. One of you hands will hold amsteel hammock ridgeline for balance. Your other hand is placed inside hammock near where you will sit. Don’t let go of amsteel hammock ridgeline until you have sat in hammock. And maybe even hold amsteel hammock ridgeline until you are laying down on your back.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Appalachian Trail, to my knowledge, is an example of dispersed camping in Maryland. That's the only state I've hiked the entire AT.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I usually recommend new hammock campers
    Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube series: how to hang a hammock, insulation both pads and quilts, how to pitch your tarp etc. Shug’s videos are informative and entertaining.
    We're slowly working through all of Shug's stuff.

Attend two local group hangs. Y’all will meet good people who will gladly show you their setups.
    Maybe after, you know. Pandemic.

Side sleeping is a tall order. Many bed side sleepers do quite well sleeping on their back in gathered end hammocks.
    I have night terrors and horrid snoring problems if I sleep on my back. I usually wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck. I've tried it in gathered end hammocks, and it just isn't comfortable for me.

For side sleeping there are options.
    Amok hammocks are pitched sideways and also accommodate side sleeping.
    Bridge hammocks, especially larger (wider) bridge hammocks.
    SMR Sierra Madre Research offers a Ninox hammock that might give a side sleeper good comfort. Also Ninox has a very flat lay.
    THANK YOU! We were eyeballing the Amok. Bridges seem way too tippy for me.

Now to clumsiness and fear of falling out or falling when you are getting in or out.
    Be careful getting in and out of Amok and bridge hammocks.
    When using a gathered end hammock, install a hammock ridgeline made of 7/64 amsteel or 1/8 amsteel.
    Place a sheet, pillow, blanket, or quilt in your hammock—this will help keep it open for you to sit in before turning to lie down. One of you hands will hold amsteel hammock ridgeline for balance. Your other hand is placed inside hammock near where you will sit. Don’t let go of amsteel hammock ridgeline until you have sat in hammock. And maybe even hold amsteel hammock ridgeline until you are laying down on your back.
    Thanks a bunch for this. Partner tried to explain, and I did try this. But I'm a clumsy oaf so it went ... poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Appalachian Trail, to my knowledge, is an example of dispersed camping in Maryland. That's the only state I've hiked the entire AT.
    Ahha, I was lied to! Good to know we have a decent option available.
    Wandering with my nose in a book.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Bridge hammocks and Amoks are commonly recommended to side sleepers and belly sleepers, but side sleeping is achievable in a regular old GE hammock too. I'm a side sleeper and haven't had any problems adjusting to my GE. I even flip side-to-side during the night. I simply can't sleep on my back. I even tried training myself. No dice. For me, it was just a matter of getting the proper hang and sleep angle for a flat lay and applying a few "comfort" techniques. Longer and wider hammocks help (particularly wider). Different hammock materials and single-layer vs double-layer hammocks also have an impact. Personally, I prefer the rigidity of less stretchy material and DL, but it's different for others. I can't say enough about Shug's videos as a starting point and there are plenty of threads here on the forum that discuss techniques for side sleeping (like putting a pillow or partially-filled stuff sack between your knees). But there's nothing like getting out and trying things for yourself. Everybody is a little different and what works for one might not work for you (and vice versa). Don't get discouraged if you don't figure things out right away. There is almost always a bit of a learning curve and a lot of trial-and-error as you dial in what works for you. It took me quite a while. Give it time.

If I'm not mistaken, Green Ridge State Forest, Savage River State Forest and Garrett State Forest in Maryland all allow dispersed camping.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a side sleeper in a bed, so when I started hammock camping, I really couldn't figure out how to sleep. Side sleeping in a hammock is just not comfortable for me, and I don't get a good night's sleep trying it.

I became convinced that I had to learn to sleep on my back, but since I was only going camping at most 12 to 15 times a year, I just wasn't getting comfortable with sleeping on my back. Unfortunately, I snored quite a bit when back sleeping, and that's not a good night's sleep.

Finally, I hung a hammock in my office and started practicing back sleeping. In the middle of the night I would usually go back to my bed. Then I injured my back, and couldn't sleep in my bed at all. For three months I slept in that hammock and after that, I've never had an issue sleeping on my back or snoring. I'm not sure what happened, but I got used to it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Bridge hammocks and Amoks are commonly recommended to side sleepers and belly sleepers, but side sleeping is achievable in a regular old GE hammock too. I'm a side sleeper and haven't had any problems adjusting to my GE. I even flip side-to-side during the night. I simply can't sleep on my back. I even tried training myself. No dice. For me, it was just a matter of getting the proper hang and sleep angle for a flat lay and applying a few "comfort" techniques. Longer and wider hammocks help (particularly wider). Different hammock materials and single-layer vs double-layer hammocks also have an impact. Personally, I prefer the rigidity of less stretchy material and DL, but it's different for others. I can't say enough about Shug's videos as a starting point and there are plenty of threads here on the forum that discuss techniques for side sleeping (like putting a pillow or partially-filled stuff sack between your knees). But there's nothing like getting out and trying things for yourself. Everybody is a little different and what works for one might not work for you (and vice versa). Don't get discouraged if you don't figure things out right away. There is almost always a bit of a learning curve and a lot of trial-and-error as you dial in what works for you. It took me quite a while. Give it time.

If I'm not mistaken, Green Ridge State Forest, Savage River State Forest and Garrett State Forest in Maryland all allow dispersed camping.
    I have yet to find comfort in my partner's gathered end. I've tried. I end up panicking myself awake, on the rare occasion I fall asleep.

Thanks for the tips on those three locations. We'll keep them in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm a side sleeper in a bed, so when I started hammock camping, I really couldn't figure out how to sleep. Side sleeping in a hammock is just not comfortable for me, and I don't get a good night's sleep trying it.

I became convinced that I had to learn to sleep on my back, but since I was only going camping at most 12 to 15 times a year, I just wasn't getting comfortable with sleeping on my back. Unfortunately, I snored quite a bit when back sleeping, and that's not a good night's sleep.

Finally, I hung a hammock in my office and started practicing back sleeping. In the middle of the night I would usually go back to my bed. Then I injured my back, and couldn't sleep in my bed at all. For three months I slept in that hammock and after that, I've never had an issue sleeping on my back or snoring. I'm not sure what happened, but I got used to it.
    I'm glad that works for you. I have night terrors, which cannot be trained away. I've had them since infancy. Trust, I know my body well enough to know sleeping on my back in a hammock will not work.
    Wandering with my nose in a book.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    When I first started sleeping in hammocks I had the same fear at night that I was going to fall out. It took me a few nights to get used to it and get good sleep.

One trick to try is to exhaust yourself during the day. This way when you get into your hammock you are so tired you fall right to sleep. I did this by hiking extra miles at a much faster pace. When night fell I had just enough energy to setup my hammock. I slept like a baby those nights and have ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Cedarville state forest has nice hammock sites.... That is located in Prince Georges County.

• + New Posts