Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Hanging with Kids - Spreader bars?

My 7 year old granddaughter and I camped out in a tent in the back yard Saturday night. It was her first time "camping" and she loved it, and it was my first time on the ground in three years. On Sunday morning my back reminded me why I gave up tents and switched to hanging. My wife laughed from the kitchen window as she watched me struggle to stand upright.

Has anyone used the spreader bars from Warbonnet or Dutch to hang two hammocks side by side with kids? I'm guessing at her age she would be okay in separate hammocks as long as we are right next to each other and under the same tarp. It looks like you can just use one bar at the head end. Do you need to use whoopie hooks or similar hardware to keep the bar in place or is there a hardware-free solution? Anything else work to keep two hammocks spread apart? My old back thanks you for any suggestions.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware Straps
    I have the Double Dutch that I use with my wife. We prefer it without the spreader bar or at least string up the hammocks using the tree as a spreader bar. Using the spreader bar sort of screws with the tarp. If you use a spreader bar it’s usually on one end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the spreader bar too. Dutch has whoopie hooks & buckles that are made for the spreader bar. It’s just a hole to slide the nipple of the pole slides into. Dutch has a new tarp too that accommodates the double Dutch setup. It’s big and a bit too price for me but looks pretty awesome.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware Straps
    The spreader bar has pegs in the end that go through holes in the Beetle Buckles

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware Straps
    Anyways, I just didn’t bother with the spreader bar as once you use it, the hammocks are “linked” together and when one person gets in/out the other person goes up/down like a seesaw.

Often, when I put my straps on a tree I just have my straps coming from the opposite side of the tree as my wife and that’s plenty. Plus the spreader bar doesn’t work very well with my winter tarp. Of course, Dutch now has a tarp to overcome that, I may have to buy it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I've been setting up my kids side by side under one tarp and my wife and I under another for several years now. I always take the spreader bars but often don't use them. Last week I did learn how squirmy my 6 year old is when we did an overnight with just the 2 of us. I got kicked in the ribs several times and he sat up to say all kinds of things about dragon flys and campfires in his sleep. I was wishing I had brought the palatial 2 person Dutch tarp and rigged for using the spreader bar, I didnt get quite enough spread with the chosen trees. Though it would have been fine for the wife and I. I guess it boils down to not just how you lay but how your tarp partner lays. Did just fine the night before that with my daughter. I often put the kids head to toe as they are both in Hennessy's so no one has get in in the middle, a none issue for my wife and I in Trail lair and WB El Dorado but something to think about.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for the replies. I might try hanging two hammocks side-by-side during the afternoon to see how they work without a spreader bar. I have whoopies larks headed to my hammocks and use toggles so don't have any hardware for the pegs to hold onto with my current setup.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Here is my Cheap DIY solution https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...V-spreader-bar

3 years later and still going strong! Make sure you read Post #8 where I changed the original design after green beaning the first version. That spreader bar 2.0 is the same one I have been using for 3 years.

There is some see-saw effect, but not too much. But, if you jump out of the hammock too quickly, or flop down into it, it will tend to produce a “Weeeee!” sound and maybe some giggling from your partner.
    Last edited by DannyII; 07-26-2020 at 16:44.

I got the Enno spreader bar for my kids hammock (Hennessy's Cub Zip) and my Dutchware chameleon. They are a little finicky to set-up with hammocks of different lengths. But seemed to work. Like all spreader bars they "link" the two hammocks. I expected my kid (3.5 years old) to be a lot more squirmy but he seemed to just not move at all throughout the night. Next time I'll try without the bars and see how it is.

When I got in the Hammocks would basically switch position. He was above me slightly.

Double set up.jpg

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I have purchased the spreader bars too. Used it once ! Somehow there is always a way to hang two kids with one tarp above, using one-two trees option, or there are trees fat enough to be able to hang two hammocks side by side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast