Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Mosquito protection in and out of hammock (Canada)

I treated my hammock with permetherin last summer and this past weekend I slept in my hammock without my UQ since it was so hot. I didn't have a shirt on, just a pair of shorts. I woke up and my back and especially right above my butt where the shorts stop were bitten like heck (probably 20 bites there). I have the 1.6 hexon Chameleon. Since I'm up in Canada, I can't find permetherin for sale here. Any idea where to get it without having to order it in or any good substitutes? I guess I will make sure to use my UQ regardless of heat going forward. Another part that frequently gets bit is my ankle area presumably because I push my feet out over the UQ or against the bugnet at night? I counted 16 bites on one of my ankles alone. It's too hot to keep my feet in my TQ foot box and half the time I don't even use use my TQ (I'm a hot sleeper)... Any advice on what I can do to help with mosquitoes up here is appreciated since I'm hanging for the next 3 weeks...

For outside the hammock, I do have a bunch of deet but I'm worried about corrosion on my fishing gear and maybe hammock and read picaridin seems to do a good job. Not sure if it's for sale up here but I'll try to find it.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Im not sure about the import regulations, but can you order it from Amazon? Martin's Permethrin 10% 32oz bottle for $20 (plus shipping) should be enough for many years. Or does Canada post check packages? I've shipped beer from and to canada before and never had problems, and that is technically a banned parcel. I just packed the hell out of it because its very bad if your package leaks.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I did some research on the import regulations but it wasn't clear to me if it's allowed. Amazon.com apparently blocks shipments to Canadian addresses though and Cabelas and BassPro US won't ship it either.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    mcimes, I just paid $25.xx for the Martin's on Amazon. Do you have a link for the $20 price?
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Take a look at Wilson Pest control from Canadian Tire. Active ingredient is permitherin. Could not find a spec sheet on it to know concentrations or if other pesticides are present.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    mcimes, I just paid $25.xx for the Martin's on Amazon. Do you have a link for the $20 price?
    Go to your local Tractor Supply Co. They have the 10% 32oz. for $19.99. Also have in 13.3% concentrations and various amounts from 8 oz. to gallons.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Or add an underquilt protector which in effect gives your hammock a second layer of fabric.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/underquilt-portector/
    I've had good results with picarden but my last trip I used a Thermocell for the first time and it worked great here in Minnesota andWisconsin.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Shug beat me to it (by 12 minutes). Not to move sideways on this tread but a UQP has lots of benefits and one is to allow sleeping without an UQ on very hot nights. As he mentioned Dutchware, I’ll put a nod in for 2QZQ.com (spread the love).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Or add an underquilt protector which in effect gives your hammock a second layer of fabric.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/underquilt-portector/
    I've had good results with picarden but my last trip I used a Thermocell for the first time and it worked great here in Minnesota andWisconsin.
    Shug
    Ha, that's a great idea - I didn't know about those protectors. Seems like a worthwhile 5oz to carry with me. I'll check into the Thermocells if they got'em up here. I like the idea of a 15' sphere of protection. Do you hang it on your ridgeline while you sleep or do you mostly use it outside of the hammock?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Ha, that's a great idea - I didn't know about those protectors. Seems like a worthwhile 5oz to carry with me. I'll check into the Thermocells if they got'em up here. I like the idea of a 15' sphere of protection. Do you hang it on your ridgeline while you sleep or do you mostly use it outside of the hammock?
    Only used the Thermocell once as I just got it a short while ago. Did not use it while sleeping as I had bugnet. Did just lay it on the ground by me when I did use it.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast