Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I totally understand how to do the catenary cut according to Double E's nice explanation on a sewn sil* seam as well as the procedures to work with the transfer tape laid out by WV when using DCF. But the procedures from Double E take the fabric laid together and cutting nearly identical blanks of fabric resulting in what I have in this first picture. IMG_0665.JPG

Then sewing a simple straight stitch with insides together would result in this tarp with a catenary cut and a plain seam, which if I were sewing it would then turn into a flat felled seam later on. IMG_0663.JPG

But on a DCF tarp there is no stitching, only transfer tape, and the seam is just a lapped seam with a single piece of DCF on each side of the transfer tape. Looking at a few DCF tarps one of the panels is laid over the other just as WV described but looking at the 2 catenary cut blanks how would I possibly overlap them or how would I cut these blanks differently to achieve this catenary curve using DCF?

You guys may be describing it correctly and I am just not picking up what you are saying so I apologize. Maybe pictures would help me if anyone has a diagram.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I am not understanding. the 2 pieces of DCF are placed overlapping each other and the seam is curved so it ends up looking like this https://cattarp.files.wordpress.com/...1/cattarp1.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The adhesive transfer tape that I described is not the only bonding system available. Some years back, Adam was kind enough to describe one of the other methods that is equally good, and his technique was ingenious. I expect that it has improved even more over time with considerable practice. Even though I could make another cat cut DCF tarp, having some experience to build on, I would probably buy one if I felt the need, and it has less to do with the bonding method than the intricacies of layout. Also, cutting the arc is not complicated (make a pattern for precision or just measure different depths along the ridgeline - catenary curves are remarkably forgiving). But layout needs space. Don't think about doing it outside on a deck. An extremely light material + extremely sticky glue + a slight breeze = potential disaster. It also requires some skill. Your third tarp will be better than the first two. Some bonding materials aren't healthy, so use good ventilation. (Not easy if you don't want breezes.)
    Last edited by WV; 07-27-2020 at 06:36.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Look up Dr. Hammock. I seem to remember a YouTube tutorial he put up on the subject. Maybe it was Professor Hammock, Shug probably knows.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    ...Hammock Doctor, Hammock Dentist, who cares, really... (10,000 pts if you get the reference)

Sorry. I wound up back here after doing a Google search and couldn't resist.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Maybe make one out of Tyvek first since it’s kinda similar in feel, and cheap

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12