Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Hennessy OCF & SS

The Hennessy SS in combination with the gray OCF foam pad including the torso and kidney pad have served well for several years, comfortable to mid teen temperatures. The combination might go to lower temps, I never tried that. Always switched to down UQ for cold hangs.

All my Hennessys are converted to zip. I put a cover of "metallic fashion" fabric on the underside I bought at JoAnns. It has a woven backing which is completely durable, but exceptionally light weight. Mylar Space blankets can NOT be sewn IMO.

In addition, the Hennessy torso and kidney pad are attached to the gray OCF pad with Velcro. Also, a strip of 3/4" Velcro is sewn along both long sides of the gray OCF pad so it can be stuck together for compact folding and compressing. A wide band of elastic aids in keeping the rolled pad compact.

The whole thing weighs in at about 22 ounces, and compared to a down UQ is maybe lighter and less volume. I will get it out this winter and see what it does for colder temperatures. Relax, I'm not touting this over down under quilts.

IMG_20200720_055922.jpgIMG_20200720_060010.jpgIMG_20200720_060137.jpgIMG_20200720_060243.jpgIMG_20200720_060429.jpgIMG_20200720_060618.jpg
    Last edited by psyculman; 07-20-2020 at 16:11.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

What is the torso and kidney pad? Your own addition?
    What is the grey outer material visible when it is all wrapped up? The backside of the "metallic fashion" material? It seems that you prefer the "metallic fashion/space blanket" under the OCF, rather than in between the OCF and the hammock body. Is that correct?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    What is the torso and kidney pad? Your own addition?
    What is the grey outer material visible when it is all wrapped up? The backside of the "metallic fashion" material? It seems that you prefer the "metallic fashion/space blanket" under the OCF, rather than in between the OCF and the hammock body. Is that correct?
    These were just some small additional open cell foam pads they used to sell, to increase insulation thickness at the torso, and almost double it at the kidney/butt area, just a few ounces, works GREAT. This is what I had added to the base system(pad and space blanket), under me the time I set my record at 6F, totally warm. I don't think they sell them anymore.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    The torso and kidney pads are no longer sold by Hennessy. The " metallic fashion" fabric I can't find listed by JoAnn Fabric today either, but not knowing the exact name to look for, along with the nearest JoAnns being about 100 miles south, I can't help with now. I'm sure they still sell it. The back of that fabric has a woven texture bonded to it, it's not fragile in the least. It has a shiny side, and a dull backing side, like naugahyde, but much much lighter weight, and very supple.

I am a big believer in metalic thermo reflective materials, and incorporate it into most all of my winter DIY gear. From wind shield sun reflectors, to disposable hospital blankets made by Thermoflect. Mylar space blankets however are not good. They shred apart quickly when sewn by a machine.

To answer your other question, it seems like the thermo reflective property's of the metallic layer are not reduced by being under the OCF pad, rather than directly against body surfaces. Although some slight moisture is evident some times, it is not consistantly related to degree of cold. So, slight moisture from condensation was not discernable, and has never resulted in a cold spot.
    Last edited by psyculman; 07-20-2020 at 16:09.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    The torso and kidney pads are no longer sold by Hennessy. The " metallic fashion" fabric I can't find listed by JoAnn Fabric today either, but not knowing the exact name to look for, along with the nearest JoAnns being about 100 miles south, I can't help with now. I'm sure they still sell it. The back of that fabric has a woven texture bonded to it, it's not fragile in the least. It has a shiny side, and a dull backing side, like naugahyde, but much much lighter weight, and very supple.

I am a big believer in metalic thermo reflective materials, and incorporate it into most all of my winter DIY gear. From wind shield sun reflectors, to disposable hospital blankets made by Thermoflect. Mylar space blankets however are not good. They shred apart quickly when sewn by a machine.

To answer your other question, it seems like the thermo reflective property's of the metallic layer are not reduced by being under the OCF pad, rather than directly against body surfaces. Although some slight moisture is evident some times, it is not consistantly related to degree of cold. So, slight moisture from condensation was not discernable, and has never resulted in a cold spot.
    Very interesting! The new HH system was originally meant to be used with the space blanket BELOW the pd, though I think they later said to experiment for what worked best for the individual, and I think they said it would be warmer on top. I have always put mine on top, and have very little trouble with condensation. But, how interesting to see that even with the SB on the bottom, you are still not having any significant issues with condensation, and are staying quite warm.

Maybe this winter you can match or exceed my personal best(unless you switch to UQs at those temps) with a HHSS augmented only with the kidney/torso pads: plenty warm at 6F. However, I was wearing VB clothing and don't know how much that might have added, considering that the space blanket is already a vapor barrier.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Yes, I will be getting it out in some cold temps this winter and posting how it goes.

Can a SS work on non Hennessy Hammocks?

Can the OCF work with a 2qzq UQP?

Images
    Can a SS work on non Hennessy Hammocks?

Can the OCF work with a 2qzq UQP?
    If the hammock is not any longer than the Hennessy hammocks the SS is designed for, it can certainly work. I have used it ( the #2 SS) on hammocks about the same size as the HH Explorer, and on a hammock a bit smaller( a Claytor No Net and WBBB), and it worked just fine. If the hammock is too big, it might stress the SS and damage it. If too small- particularly too short- it might sag too much and not be snug against your back. But this can be fixed with a mod to ttach one end further out on the suspension. However, It is a custom, glove like fit for the right sized HH.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If the hammock is not any longer than the Hennessy hammocks the SS is designed for, it can certainly work. I have used it ( the #2 SS) on hammocks about the same size as the HH Explorer, and on a hammock a bit smaller( a Claytor No Net and WBBB), and it worked just fine. If the hammock is too big, it might stress the SS and damage it. If too small- particularly too short- it might sag too much and not be snug against your back. But this can be fixed with a mod to ttach one end further out on the suspension. However, It is a custom, glove like fit for the right sized HH.
    Which HH size is closest to an 11' hammock? I realize not all 11's are actually 11', but probably close enough.

Eta: seems like most HH are 10', and only 59" wide. I greatly prefer 64" wide hammocks. I may get the ocf pad if it ever comes back in stock and just mess with it.
    Last edited by SLG45; 07-22-2020 at 09:26.

Images
    Which HH size is closest to an 11' hammock? I realize not all 11's are actually 11', but probably close enough.

Eta: seems like most HH are 10', and only 59" wide. I greatly prefer 64" wide hammocks. I may get the ocf pad if it ever comes back in stock and just mess with it.
    My Explorers(used with #2 SS) over the years have been very close to 11 ft.(so they were actually one of the very first 11 ft hammocks on the market). I think the smaller ones (Expedition, Backpacker, for #1 SS) are more like 10 ft. (Safaris are more like 12 ft!) Most folks don't realize the actual size of HHs, because for some reason they stopped- at least for a while- listing the actual fabric length and only listed the ridge line length, which is typically 83% of the hammock length. But I notice now they again list fabric length for some hamocks, for example the Explorer Classic(which they now call the XL, but the length has not changed, still rated for 7 ft tall folks) lists a length of 130", which is 10.83 ft. The Ultralight Backpacker UL ( for the # ss) list 118" or 9.83 ft.

• + New Posts