Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ

UGQ 10 versus 20 denier fabric

Hello! What’s your take on a MRS10 versus MRS20 fabric for the outer layer on a top quilt and underquilt set? Weight savings is 0.8 ounces per quilt for the lighter fabric. My concern in going with the lighter 10D fabric is that it may be less slightly less wind resistant and water resistant - possibly negating the small weight savings (at least for me). Curious what others have to say who own quilts from UGQ with these materials. Thank you!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The material in both weights is calendared and downproof rating is 5, so wind resistance should be excellent.

More important IMO than the weight difference is the compressibility, and there is a very substantial difference between 10D and 20D. Maybe not important if you're a car camper but certainly something to consider if you're a backpacker, bicycle or moto camper where volume is critical. And with hammocking (vs ground camping) that difference is almost twice as much if you're using a full-length UQ.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I own a set of quilts from them in MRS10 and find the fabric to be highly wind resistant. It is a fantastic fabric for the exterior of the quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I agree with what the others have said, and I'll add my own 2 cents - which is to say I'd personally not get any 20D fabric for either shell of a topquilt. It adds weight and more importantly bulk, and for me there's no need for a TQ to have any higher than 10D fabric. If you want the ripstop, the MRS10 is a good choice. I personally have a UGQ Bandit with both shells in Membrane 10 taffeta (M10T), and that's what I'd do again if I were buying another topquilt from UGQ (since they don't offer any 7D fabrics).

On my Zeppelin, I have M10T for the inner shell and MRS20 for the outer. If I were to do that over again, I'd get M10T for the inner and MRS10 for the outer. I have other underquilts with 10D and even 7D fabric, and those are sufficiently durable, wind resistant, and downproof for me.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Thanks for asking this question! I've been researching UGQ UQs (among others) and wondering the same thing but hadn't gotten far enough along to ask the question yet.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks so much for input!

• + New Posts