Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can always use extra zing it or some type of cordage to replace the ring. On the other hand, if you don’t have the ring as a break-away point then your tarp could potentially be torn instead. That’s a much worse circumstance to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I understand the idea of the split ring being sacrificial but what is the plan if your split ring opens up at night in high winds and buckets of rain coming down? Derating my weather protection system during the worst circumstances seems counterintuitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think idea is protect tarp itself from ripping.
    Yes, you can made ring more durable ring will not fail , but tarp will be ripped in half as weakest link in chain- so buckets of rain will be there anyway .But you will have ripped tarp as well .So I think bucket of rain is better than bucket of rain plus ripped tarp in a long run.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by shichimi View Post
    So I think bucket of rain is better than bucket of rain plus ripped tarp in a long run.
    Touche’

I wonder why more tent/tarp companies don’t use split rings at every tie out to protect their products.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Haha. I agree, it’s a good idea. I’d rather replace $5-$10 rings than a $150-$200 Tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    M00ch - if the wind is strong enough to open the split ring, it is probably not that far away from causing other damage, pulling stakes, etc. In other words, would you rather be in high winds and buckets of rain with your tarp intact and a “Plan-B” (re-orientation/location) option, or be in high winds and buckets of rain with a torn tarp? Sounds like you are saying, “I want my tarp setup to stand until the tarp itself fails. To each his/her own.

You could add a 1.74mm LashIt tether line across the split ring so if it goes, the tarp won’t be flaying in the wind. Lots of solutions.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    M00ch - if the wind is strong enough to open the split ring, it is probably not that far away from causing other damage, pulling stakes, etc. In other words, would you rather be in high winds and buckets of rain with your tarp intact and a “Plan-B” (re-orientation/location) option, or be in high winds and buckets of rain with a torn tarp? Sounds like you are saying, “I want my tarp setup to stand until the tarp itself fails. To each his/her own.

You could add a 1.74mm LashIt tether line across the split ring so if it goes, the tarp won’t be flaying in the wind. Lots of solutions.
    Yeah, I would basically agree with your interpretation of how I think about the tarp ring. I say basically because if you could give me a number with which the tarp ring would pull apart and also a number at which the tarp would shred maybe I would be more open to it. I would hate for my split ring to open with 50% less force than my tarp shreds. Possibly getting all of my insulation wet needlessly at 1AM on a 35F night. The forces of the wind on a tarp not secured by one of the ridge lines also opens up the door for other damage on the other tie out points immediately after the failure.

I can see both sides of this discussion and I appreciate the discussion as you have valid points.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Would the titanium split rings Dutch sells fit this role, or do you think the tarp would fail first in this case? Sometimes titanium is pretty bendy.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You know we are talking about hellacious wind here - not just a strong summer breeze. Usually a storm that fierce doesn’t just pop up - like you might expect it before you go out and plan your hammock site accordingly. i’m pretty sure the breaking point of the tarp fabric is much stronger than the cheap split ring (from fabric and hobby stores). But if something is going to give, I’d rather not have it be my tarp. If my setup is such that I’m experiencing sustain gusts of 25+ mph, I should take that into consideration.

Once I camped at the top of the Steins Mts. in Oregon. The winds were pretty strong so after pitching the tent, we ate in the car. Once I saw the tent was lifted completely off the ground - held in place only by the tent stakes, we moved back to the tent so our body weight would keep it down. Even with the weight of two adults in the tent, the next day I found some of the aluminum shepherd hooks bent at 45 degrees. So the fabric can be pretty strong.

But to your point of “Tarp gone wild” - I agree that having something completely give out so the tarp if flaying around is not at all desirable. In my case, it’s not that I keep the setup until something fails. It’s more that I inspect those split rings and if I see them deforming, I make an adjustment before they completely give out.

The biggest change I’ve made is I use to put the tarp broadside to the wind with the idea that it would provide the most blockage. Now, after fighting that battle a few times. I try to orient parallel with the wind, providing the smallest surface area and the blockage benefit of the anchor trees.

So it’s not that something is there that will fail first and it’s allowed to fail. It’s more and early warning system that says, “If this starts to look more like an oval than a circle, you might want to reconsider the setup.” And after a couple of, “I’m not going to do that again.” experiences, the site begins to start out “the best it can be” without having to change things mid-storm.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Camped last night at Silver lake CG. Very exposed and fair amount of wind 5-10 mph. At sunset the wind stopped, had been out of the west, clear sky. Around 10 it started from the east, about 20-30 mph. Tightened the tie outs and attached the upper tire offs. No bungie's, just mason line as safety links. Wind stopped about 4 AM. Solid set up.
    I think the shock cords cause more problems than they solve.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Camped last night at Silver lake CG. Very exposed and fair amount of wind 5-10 mph. At sunset the wind stopped, had been out of the west, clear sky. Around 10 it started from the east, about 20-30 mph. Tightened the tie outs and attached the upper tire offs. No bungie's, just mason line as safety links. Wind stopped about 4 AM. Solid set up.
    I think the shock cords cause more problems than they solve.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    Do you have any pics of how you use mason line on your tarp set up?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast