DIY Winter Tarp Kit Question

I decided to buy myself a winter tarp kit from Dutch, mostly because I wanted to make the most of a gift card, and I have had some sewing experience. Now, that experience was making a shirt in costume construction in university (VCU 2005), my least proficient practicum class, so I'm not sure what made me want to try again.

Reading this instructions, I think I'm missing something in the cutting phase, and the overall placement of the tieout reinforcement. I've got only photos of tarps to go from, and the instructions. I'm using scrap paper to test it out first. Folding widthwise twice 9.5 yards to make it easier, got that. cutting a width wise triangle out to make the trapezoid shape, got that. I think I'm missing the part to cut the 9.5 yards in half, and then applying that diagonal cut to both rectangles? The width of the fabric is only one side of the tarp, right?

Trying to break this concept down in text, I make two trapezoids. Then, two trapezoids seamed together on the short edges?, and fold over the outside triangles to make the doors?

Thank you for any advice, I think I'm close to really begin, before even puling out the fabric. Next step will be finding enough space for the layout.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I didn't find these instructions the easiest to follow myself. I've designed and built my own tarps based on a lot of designs and I looked at this one.

i might suggest you are on the right track using a mockup out of paper to understand how to fold and cut the fabric. I understood folding the fabric to make both the left and right sides identical. Then they talk about folding twice which confuses me. At that point, you've made a whole tape into a half tarp. Folding again the other way would give you a quarter tarp. You can then do the cat cuts and trim the door length and both sides of the tarp will be symmetrical (and because of the first fold, both sides will be identical).

I think that's right. Don't trust me but mock it up yourself and be sure before you start cutting. Remember that old saying: measure twice, cut once.

Hope it goes well for you. I found a tarp to be very easy to make with 2 exceptions. 1) It's huge (especially since I made a huge tarp) and 2) I made it out of silpoly and couldn't keep that thing from sliding off my table. Still, the tarp is beautiful and it was worth it.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    These may help you fill in the details that you are missing.

Alternate instructions (not specifically for Dutche's tarp)

https://diygearsupply.com/wp-content...arp-lowres.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Not sure if this helps but this is my video of my winter tarp build with instructions from company.

https://youtu.be/NF53rzEmtcM

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts