Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

2 Tarps: Tie-Out Comparison

I have a new winter tarp coming on Monday so of course I had to prep some new guy lines, panel-pull lines, etc. When I was done I couldn't resist making some new lines for my diamond asym tarp. When I was done with that I was kind of impressed by the difference between the 2 sets. Most of these lines will be permanently attached to their respective tarps. No choice for the winter tarp as I'd need an entire stake sack just for them.

Diamond Asym Tarp

1 - Zpacks Tent Stake Sack
    2 - 6' locked-eye & back-spliced yellow guy lines
    2 - 4' locked-eye & back-spliced red spare lines
    1 - 12' back-spliced red ridgeline with eye-spliced Dutch Hook
    1 - 12' back-spliced yellow ridgeline with eye-spliced Dutch Wasp
    2 - Eye-spliced Dutch Fleaz on titanium stakes

Winter Tarp

1 - Zpacks Tent Stake Sack
    6 - 6' locked-eye & back-spliced blue guy lines
    6 - 6' red panel-pull lines with 2 locked-eyes
    2 - 5' locked-eye & back-spliced yellow spare lines
    2 - 12' back-spliced yellow ridgelines with eye-spliced Dutch Wasps
    4 - 4' Shock-cord door tie-outs with door hooks
    10 - Eye-spliced/continuous looped Dutch Fleaz on titanium stakes

With the exception of the 2 ridgelines and the 6 Fleaz on loops for the winter tarp, I did all the splicing work myself. I do also bring some Groundhog stakes along if I'm going someplace with difficult ground or a new place with unknown ground.

Something to note. Of the 3 colors of Zing-It!, the blue seems to bleed the most but also seems to be the easiest to splice.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use Fleaz on my ridgeline and they work great. Any reason you chose to go the Fleaz route and not use fleastakes on the tieouts? I really like the primary colors, they must help with setup.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Way back in the dark ages before worms, ticks, and any of the latest gee-whiz doodads came out, when I was first starting out, I rigged up some fleaz on the reflective loops attached to my Groundhog/and Knockoff stakes. If I had to start over again, I'd probably still go the Groundhog route but not use the Fleaz, HOWEVER they are pretty convenient and don't weigh anything so I just leave them on. This is one area of gear that I've never really changed over the years.
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 07-18-2020 at 07:19.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    Any reason you chose to go the Fleaz route and not use fleastakes on the tieouts? I really like the primary colors, they must help with setup.
    Back when I first found this place and began hammocking I was trying all kinds of gadgets and do-dads. Dutch had just, or recently, introduced the Fleaz so I gave them a go and really liked them. I wanted them permanently attached but didn't want them attached to my expensive tarp, so on the stakes they went. I don't really need them. Or any of the other do-dads, but I like using them. They bring a smile to my face every time I pull them out of the sack.

The primary colors were more of an accident than planned. I had just enough of each color of Zing-It! for a complete setup for each tarp. I do like knowing that if/when I need that extra guy line or panel-pull line I don't have to guess which one in the sack is the one I want.

The only bummer now is I have no more Zing-It!. I haven't been without in probably 5 or 6 years.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-18-2020 at 05:59.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    How do you like this setup so far? Do you leave your guyouts attached to your tarp? I've been looking for a different tensioner for my ZingIt/ReflectIt lines, as the linelocs slip in the wind. I've been looking at the Fleaz and the Tarpworms lately and I am curious how you like your setup so far.

• + New Posts