long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer

DIY a Hammock Chair Stand like this?

I'm looking for a low-cost way to make a couple of hammock chair stands like this (or better!) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunnydaz...ombo/306248630 that I can either fold or take apart easily to move. It's been out of stock for a while, and too costly anyway (at $135 each) to buy 2 or maybe 3 on my tight budget. I can easily make the hammock part; I'm just hoping for advice re. making the stand.

I've searched the DIY forum and elsewhere on the 'net but didn't find a DIY chair stand like it. I've seen RaftingTigger's photo with a 3-pole Tensa chair stand, but the tripod footprint is too big for our available space indoors or on a small balcony. And oTTer's Winter Recliner II stand is brilliant, but I need lightweight, take-apart or preferably foldable, and more "sit-up" than "recline" to use at a table or desk. Our office chairs are shot after many years of use.

I have several 3/4" x 10 ft EMT tubes I'd like to use, and if needed I can get some off-the-shelf (HD, Lowes) EMT connectors. I have a 3/4" tube bender, drill, hacksaw, files, and an assortment of nuts & bolts. My 250 lb brother has no problems with his every-night 3/4" x 100" emt tensahedron stand, so I imagine a much shorter chair stand made with the same size tubing would be OK.

Has anybody made anything like this, or have a suggestion for materials & method? Or is the design just a bad idea? Many thanks for any advice!

Ok I'll offer some suggestions, but take them with a grain of salt. I would use 2 10' sections bent in half forming an /\. You could them drill a hole in the apex of the bent for your S hook to hold the chair. I can't see an easy way to form an X base so I would suggest bending a section for a front foot and back foot to look like \_/. The angle you use for the upright section and the width of the base will determine the spread at the top. This might require some experimentation. The uprights should be about 8" from the floor. This would require 4 unions. You could potentially cut the side down tubes about 8" from the peak of the apex and add unions there to allow you take it apart and have it be compact.

Please add some padding under the chair when you test your build on the off chance that it fails like a house of cards.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions, Vryce. Very much appreciated! I've thought of a couple ideas for the base and how to do the connections. I'm going to try it using the 3/4" emt I have on hand. I'll post my results if successful!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Take a look at the tensahedron stand and all the diy variations. Should give some ideas. Something like two inverted Letter “A”‘s comes to mind with the horizontal bar stabilizing the V so it no longer moves. I would go by some 8’ 2x2’s and play around a bit. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks, brianb! I really do like my diy tensahedron stands! They make it so much easier to be an every-night hammocker just about anywhere. When I saw the first pic of a diy tensahedron chair stand a couple of years ago (maybe from gadget?) I had to do it! It was fun and did the job, but awkward stepping over the front poles angled so close together. Then recently I saw Raftingtigger's hanging chair pic using 3 Tensa poles. I like that much better since it's free-standing and there are no front poles in the way. It's great where there's plenty of space, but I'm currently "indoor camping" in an aged relative's small guest room with a little balcony to help her while we scout for good in-home caregivers, and a tensahedron or tripod chair just doesn't fit where it's needed! I brought my tensahedron stand & hammock, and I've set the guest bed frame & mattress up against a wall. I don't think I should hang anything from her walls or ceiling.

I'd like to make a couple of multi-purpose hammock chairs where I (and sometimes my brother) can sit at a card-table that also serves as my desk, and move them around easily to semi-recline on the 6x10 ft balcony, and nobody has to fight over just one! I can't put the table next to my hammock to work sitting sideways in the hammock, so I fold the stand in a corner when not needed to have some space in the room to work without her TV blasting in my ears. Tensahedron or tripod chair stands are easy-peasy to make, but I don't have the space or the height in the room or balcony (low ceilings with fans/lights). Camp stools & camp chairs are OK on balcony for a short time, too low for a table or desk, bad for old spine injuries. I'd like to avoid acquiring more stuff that she won't want to keep and I won't use later at home, so no more folding or resin patio chairs. So...

I like rocking chairs, recliners, and hammocks, and a free-standing hammock chair seems to satisfy all of those while also letting me sit up at a desk or table and move it around freely. That's why I want to try a smaller, shorter hammock chair frame, either like the one I posted or some other design that works here in our very small temporary home and also will be useful later in my own. Still working on a plan to make one, and I think I'm getting close. A good pad WILL be under it for testing!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Was shopping on Etsy and this was in my suggested items. May give you some ideas.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks, brianb! Nice clean lines, small frame footprint, hammock seat is long in front for "recliner" leg support... brilliant! It's a simpler and more attractive design than the one I posted, folds without apparent need to disassemble, and it looks like it might also work in "sit-at-desk" mode. (Looks like the leg rest part might fold up or under the seat, out of the way for desk mode.) I'll look on Etsy and see if I can afford to buy a couple. I don't like to "steal" from Etsy sellers' designs, but I'm currently on a really tight budget, so if I can't buy this I may try a low-budget DIY version for now, when I can get a little free time with tools, and save my pennies to buy from the designer later. Thanks again for telling me about this one. I'll check it out for sure!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Good luck. As long as you’re only planning to make them for personal use I wouldn’t worry about being inspired by the work of others. Post up any final solutions you come up with. I would think you could do a quick prototype with some 2x2s and 2x4s. I’m sure it took the Etsy artist definitely went through a few iterations. Happy DIYing

• + New Posts