Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shoulder surgery

I'm 5 weeks post shoulder surgery and just today, I have gotten to the "it stopped hurting 24/7. PT is much easier and I was able to shoulder my backpack, loaded lightly. Man, I'ma looking forward to getting to some quiet places and WOODS! Its to the point, I stop and look at trees and think, that would be a good spot!!! I have yet try and get in a hammock, might not be able to get out of it?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty1 View Post
    ...might not be able to get out of it?
    You say that as if it might be a negative. I don't understand...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've had multiple shoulder surgeries and I would avoid that hammock for a while longer. It's easy to get in it but adjusting your position or getting out could be risky/painful.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too had rotator cuff surgery Sept. 2018.
    Don't risk re-injuring the shoulder if you can help it.
    But at least have someone standing by to possibly help you out of the hammock. If you have a ridgeline on the hammock use that help get yourself out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm doing physio now to try and avoid shoulder surgery

tendinopathy is the new fancy term, blech

I can barely stand my gathered end deck hammock

before this, I would have said I had no idea what shoulder squeeze really felt like

just blech

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I spent most or all of the night in a hammock. Lately a couple of GEs. I had surgery on nether regions and for some reason the hammock causes less backlash in the mornings than a bed. However, I have noticed I do tend toward a stiffer shoulder/neck and have gone to more side sleeping in the GEs to mitigate this. The other suggestion that I've employed is placing pillows in the hammock for my upper body and thighs (sans my nether region) because this elevates me a bit and gives a broader base and hence less curl on my shoulders.

The reason I bring this up is because it is my thought that you might find a GE not the most pleasant for your shoulder unless you can side sleep well enough in a GE. There are other hammocks that might accommodate you better with the surgery, e.g. Bill's Town Big Bridge? (avoid the WBRR as it will squeeze your shoulder); an Amok Draumr (no experience, but I just picked one up used); or a 90 degree Hammocktent (which are expensive if you can find one and have size and height limitations (I enjoy the comfort of the ones I own)).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I haven't used one but I've heard bridge hammocks can have more shoulder squeeze than gathered end hammocks?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    For my build we have broad shoulders. My WBRR experience was pleasant enough and had a number of good features, but I found other hammocks had less shoulder squeeze and ended up passing the RR along. The Towns End is suppose to be substantially wider with less squeeze from what I've read, but I have no experience. I'm happy with the GEs I have, but I think overall the 90s have by far the least squeeze and are the best side sleepers too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    rotator surgery took a bit of time to fully heal up from. Give it time and don't push it...

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Hope you have a good PT person. Mine was fantastic! Told her one of my goals was to return to backpacking. About eight weeks into our sessions, she started having me bring my backpack just so I could get used to feeling it on my back. Toward the end of our sessions, she was rigging an obstacle course around the PT room including hand weights and other items hidden under foam mats (to simulate rocky river crossings), stacked step up blocks that I had to climb then step off onto that wobbly half ball/half platform thingee, (to simulate scrambles), ducking under the lats bar (to simulate ducking under trees), and climbing over the stretch tables (to simulate climbing over deadfall). In between obstacles I'd have to do strength and balance exercises (with the pack still on). We'd fill my pack with leg weights and pillows (to spread the weight throughout the pack like a normal load) and she had me doing laps. Better workout than the gym! I got some odd looks from some of the other patients, but it certainly gave me confidence for when I hit the "real" trail again.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast