DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Anyone ever tried to make something like this?: Laundry Stuff Sack

Been shopping for luggage as some of my planned work travel has been un-cancelled. I came across this handy-looking thing, a two-sided stuff sack to separate clean and dirty laundry: https://www.tombihn.com/products/tra...14986380083263

I was about to add it to my cart, but then started to wonder if I could make one myself. The pictures don't really show the inside, and the video only briefly, so I'm not sure of the size/shape of the inner divider or how it would be attached. It seems like it's big enough expand all the way from one end to the other.

You creative folks have any ideas?

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Also, to keep this on topic: I was trying to think of a hammock-related use. Many of us don't tend to carry enough "laundry" to need this, but then again I've been on trips that produced stinky/muddy/burr-encrusted socks that should be separated. Maybe containing food and wrappers? Tarp and sap-sticky lines?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Could be used for separate compartments for hammock and straps. But I love my double ended stuff sack for the hammock I would not want to divide it internally. I could see an internal pocket to put suspension in. As a laundry bag, still not sure why 2 bags would not be better, unless this is all you are carrying on a short trip. But interesting to think of hammocking uses.

Images
    In looking at the video I can see that this is actually 2 stuff sacks. The outer one is a double-sided sack (a tube with drawstrings on both ends). The inner one is a standard sack made with mesh sides and solid bottom- no drawstring. the two pieces are sewn together at one end- imagine a solid stuff sack with a loose mesh lining. Tom Bihn has some clever designs.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Before I looked at the link, I was thinking of two pockets that would be made by layering three pieces of fabric to make a sack so that the two pockets were side by side. (Basically a regular stuff sack with two full-length compartments.) Simpler/lighter than the Bihn design (though less clever) but possibly of use in hammock camping. Could use different colors for the two sides to designate the different uses...

hmmmm.... might have to make a prototype -- I bet I find uses for it!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I get a similar use when backpacking from my Aarn Packs, which have built-in dry bags that share the roll top closure with the main bag fastened with velcro around the opening. Clean and dry items go in the dry bag, but I separate the velcro on one side to put damp items between the layers (inside the main bag, but outside the dry bag). I can use the other side for really wet items (like a wet tarp) to keep merely damp things that I might want to dry out from getting wetter. The closure system is well thought out. The main bag uses 1" wide velcro. The dry bag has 1/2" velcro on the outside of the top edge. The 1/2" velcro sticks to the bottom half of the 1" velcro, leaving the top half to close the combined bags. You use the roll top to open the pack in the usual manner, but the dry bag remains attached to the main bag unless you choose to separate the 1/2" velcro for access to one of the outer chambers. I like this system.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    P-Dub -- two sacks side-by-side sounds like a great idea. Less fabric overall, probably easier to make. The side with less stuff would naturally take up less room -- no real need for the clever tube divider. Hmmmm....

If you do make a prototype, post pics here!

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    WV, that also sounds like a clever design. I had never heard of Aarn Packs -- looks interesting.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    P-Dub -- two sacks side-by-side sounds like a great idea. Less fabric overall, probably easier to make. The side with less stuff would naturally take up less room -- no real need for the clever tube divider. Hmmmm....

If you do make a prototype, post pics here!
    I will! (...when I get to it...)

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    looks pretty simple to make and kind of neat.

There doesn't appear divider in the center. The "clean" side of the stuff sack in the video is a full length stuff sack, with what looks like a round bottom (vs folded over or square bottom). I dont thing the type of bottom matters much other than round bottom will act a little better will completely stuffed.

1. make a complete round bottom stuff sack, finished with cord channels for draw string.

2. Make and finish a cylinder with no bottom in "half" stuff sack size. Another round bottom stuff sack without a bottom. You could fold hem the bottom if you wanted, but not necessary.

3. Need a free arm sewing machine for this part. Most home machines have it. Sew half stuff sack WRONG side out, on the outside of original stuff sack that is RIGHT side out.
    a. Place right side out full stuff sack inside of wrong side out cylinder with the cord channels on the same send. Right sides facing each other. See examples for finishing a lined bag if this doesn't make sense.
    b Sew them together at the bottom of the the unfinished cylinder, which should be at the center of the full stuff sack.
    c. fold over to all right sides out , add draw strings and you're done.
    KCCO

• + New Posts