Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ

Zing It!, Lash It!, Reflect It!

Hello all! New to hammock camping. I’m about to order some guy lines and a split ridgeline for a Warbonnet Thunderfly. Can you help recommend which of these would be ideal? I’ve read some mixed postings on Reflect It! that have said the reflective component can fray over time - so I’m hesitant.

My plan is for:
    2 Stingerz for the split ridgeline
    2 fleaz for the mini door tie outs (will 6 foot guy out lines plus bungee loops be sufficient?)
    4 ring worms for the corner guy outs

All with yellow reflect it line. Is the reflect it identical to zing it except for the reflective component? Would you go with that or just the zing it? Thanks for help before I decide.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not keen on Reflect-it. Zing-it for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I'm not a big fan of reflect-it because it can be a little abrasive. I have it on one of my tarps, but I prefer using Lawson glow wire if I want something reflective. The glow wire won't work with you Dutch hardware, though.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've used both, and also prefer Zing-It over Reflect-It. Reflect-It was a lot more prone to snagging/fraying. Since I use a headlamp at night, I haven't had any issues seeing my non-reflective guylines. Reflective lines are a nice luxury, but not a total necessity.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Zing-it and Lash-it are the same fiber and strength. The difference is in the coatings. The Zing-it has a slick coating to allow it to slip over tree limbs easily. It does not hold knots well. The Lash-it has a more gripy coating to help it hold knots better.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Is one preferable in utilizing Dutch hardware?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumbering Bear View Post
    In my experience, Dutch's hardware chewed up my Reflect-It badly. Zing-It has always fared better in this regard- at least for me. I ended up ditching the titanium stuff for the cheap plastic toggles from Myerstech for tarp rigging, and have been very pleased.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think Fleaz for the mini-doors is way overkill. But if you like to use Dutch Bling, go for it.

As fat as wear-ability. Stuff wears out. Part of life. And line, relative to other costs, is way cheap. So use what you want. I’m guessing you will check over your gear before you go out (if not, you will eventually learn to) and if you see unexceptable wear, replace it.

I recall two “lessons” people gave me that have helped me relax about stuff. While I worked though college I learned to evaluate EVERY expenditure. Once I found myself evaluating if I should buy one of two pencils in the 27 cents to 35 cent price range. Then I heard someone say they used to be just as concerned with the price of things and decided, if the item was .0001 percent of of their yearly income (maybe it was only .001), they’d just buy it - no hesitantion. If it was a “wrong" purchase, they could absorb the loss and pass the item to someone who could use it. It elminated a lot of worry/concern/evaluating about small things.

When it came to gear, I was worried about machine washing some of my kayak outer garments vs filling a big tub with fresh water and soaking it. Someone with more experience than me suggested that I just accept that gear wears out and when it does, replace it. Note that we are not talking about abusing gear - just normal use.

So when you are talking about line that costs pennies per foot, and is essentially the same (i.e. LashIt, ZingIt), just pick one, use it, if it works - great. If not, try another.

Note that ReflectIt is designed for guy lines and ridge lines. It is strong - but I don’t think nearly as strong as LashIt/ZingIt. Those two are often used as a structural ridge line for hammocks - so they need the strength. You will be trading off a little ligher weight against a thicker line that might be easier to handle. But if you are using Dutch Bling, the cord has to fit - so maybe stick with smaller diameter cord because of that.

If you haven’t used reflective line before, note that it doesn’t “glow” at night. In order to reflect, you mght have to view it illuminated by your flashlight at the correct angle. It’s a feature, not a bug. At first use, I thought my reflective line would light up the whole camp. But only I could see it when returning from a “water break” as I approached my hammock straight on.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-14-2020 at 21:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumbering Bear View Post
    I do not use dutch bling. I tie taughtline hitches in my lines or use the little plastic 3 hole tensioner clips you get with about every tarp or tent.

Dutch will tell you what works with his stuff -- much of it is on his site in the discussion question. I use a CRL on my Thunderfly but I do have some 2mm Lawson tied to a Stingerz (x2) for a split RL in case I want to change. I use the line from Warbonnet on my guyouts.

The thing I have learned is that most line will work for tarp stuff but I use dutchware and loop aliens so it can get too thick. Stiffer line is definitely better at resisting tangles and getting them out when they happen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast