Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLT UQ + costco

looking for feedback on my (non standard) tarp continuous ridgeline

hey all! I've been home a lot (like everyone) and fortunate to have a little outdoor space I can use to work on my kit and try out different things. I just recently acquired a WB Thunderfly and have been experimenting with the continuous ridgeline for my tarp.

I'd previously been using separate lines and I wanted to try the method illustrated in the ultimate hang. I started experimenting and tried a few approaches with the hardware I have.

I landed on a configuration that I like a lot and is super easy / fast. But it seems to be pretty non-standard based on all of the bazillion videos on the topic.

The setup/method is really simple:
    - Zing It with spliced loops at each end
    - a mini biner to loop around the first tree, then clipped to the line and the tarp (but I could use a soft shackle instead i suppose)
    - a dutch wasp connected to the tarp on a zing it soft shackle, with the ridgeline running through on the side of the second tree
    - the other end of the line looped around the second tree, and secured on the dutch wasp connected to the tarp
    and that's it. adjustable ridgeline with no annoying prusik knots (I find them annoying to adjust after they've been under tension)

I like ultimate hang method and making "the v" to avoid my hammock suspension, also this method makes it easy to slide the the tarp back and forth by moving the entire line, vs sliding the tarp along the fixed line using prusik knots. Tightening the dutch wasp also pulls the tarp tight since it's connected to the tarp itself - I couldn't get the tarp really tight using prusik knots. Finally, I can put it up and take it down lightning fast and set it up without my tarp touching the ground.

Photos attached, would love any comments or thoughts - any possible issues? suggestions? tips?
    thanks

IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8181.jpeg
    IMG_8180.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Consider two 17-foot lengths of Zing-It with buried loops at one end. Slip a Nite-Ize Microlock S-Biner into each loop.

Slide a Dutch Wasp on to each line. That's all, folks!

Keep the S-Biners and Wasps off the tarp; they will eventually wear on the fabric. Place one each on inside the end of the tarp sleeve.

So, pull the two ridge-lines and wrap around the tree loosely using the Dutch Wasp. To deploy the tarp sleeve, click the Ridgeline rings on the S-Biner and adjust Wasps to center the tarp between trees. Cinch the Zing-It to the Wasps, and you are done, with no slippage.

Comes time to take the tarp down, slide the sleeve on the tarp, remove the S-Biners from one end of the tarp and roll or fold the tarp sleeve up, when you reach the other end, free the tarp ring fro the 2nd S-Biner, and store the tarp, go back to the trees and remove the two tarp ridgelines. Suppose the two ridgelines are wet or have pine tar on them, no worries. They are deployed separately from the tarp, throw them in soapy Dr. Bonners and scrub and dry. Replace them inside the tarp sleeves, now that they are clean and dry.

If you wish to have a ridge-line under the tarp, use the Exped Slit-Line, lots of hanging options.

Just some thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I like it. Particularly if you are a CRL fan like me. I don't see any deal-breaking issues that leap out at me, but then again, I don't typically use much hardware. I'll definitely test this setup, though, if ever I have a Dutch wasp to use. (I wonder if I could rig something similar with EVO loops and a slippery half hitch. hmmmm....)
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Congratulations on a strack tarp setup!
    A neat clean tarp setup, not only looks good,
    it sheds rain better than a sloppy rig.

• + New Posts