Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

wooki on other hammocks

I sold my original blackbird (just wasn't as comfortable to me as my dream hammocks are) but still have the wooki that I ordered with the blackbird and would like to use it with my dream hammocks which is a 10ft darien.

I read on warbonnet site that it says this: "It is possible to use the Wooki on similarly sized non-Warbonnet hammocks as well, the elastic portion of the Wooki suspension can be lengthened slightly with a short leash of cord to make fit a longer hammock"

since the blackbird is a 10ft hammock and the darien is a 10ft hammock will I need to add this short leash of cord or will it work without this mod? if I need to add a the short leash of cord how long of a material do I need to use and what kind of cord did you use?

thanks
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I'm sure this won't work out at all, and you should sell me the wooki to make more room for additional gear.

Seriously, I added a small extension loop, or small biner to my wooki to use with my 11' DH Sparrow. Works fine.

It is possible to use the Wooki with different hammocks..... Because the Wooki is that of similar size too a blackbird hammock there isn't that much adjustment with the Wooki suspension or by modding out with the suspension with the Wooki.
    From my understanding the set up for the blackbird hammocks has a rather high foot end placement that gives too the hammocks sweet spot....
    When l use the Wooki with a Chameleon, trail lair and Sheltowee my foot end is still higher but maybe only a few inches....

So what l have done with the foot end with the Wooki is clipped in a mini bina with the gathered end piece of cord that keeps the gathered end knotted together.... The foot end is non adjustable with the min bina clipped in place from the hammock CL....

The head end becomes the adjusted end.... l threaded just over 2ft of shock cord through the gathered end, but you could use more, just too give ample allowance so as to not harm the UQ.....

I guess similar with the trail winder from simply light designs.... where you can use a cord lock to make the needed adjustments....

l am sure there are many other ways to mod the Wooki this is likely one of many.. Happy Days! IMG_3362.JPGIMG_3361.JPG

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, you can easily use your Wooki with all hammocks that are as long or longer than the Blackbird. Only shorter hammocks are a challenge.

However, never assume that you can use the Wooki without an extension with any other hammock than it was made for. If you ever measure hammocks, you'll find that the lengths can vary considerably. In all likelihood, the Darien will be longer than the Blackbird. If you don't add an extension, you'll bust your elastic band.

The best way to fit the Wooki to a longer hammock is to add a non-elastic piece of cord. If the hammock is not too much longer than the Blackbird, extending the foot-end only is sufficient. I have made daisy chain cords for that purpose. I simply hang the daisy chain on the hammock end, and clip in the Wooki. I start long, and work my way up to the perfect fit. Better than to start too short and rip the band (or the Wooki ) right away. Just make sure that there is one elastic element in the suspension, to take the stress off the quilt fabric.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    thanks all. I set up my darien last night and just added a mini carabiner on the head in and tried it and it seemed to work just fine without any extensions. the wooki didn't seem too tight as I was able to move the wooki from side to side (not sure if this meant it wasn't too tight from end to end or not though)
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yes, you can easily use your Wooki with all hammocks that are as long or longer than the Blackbird. Only shorter hammocks are a challenge.

However, never assume that you can use the Wooki without an extension with any other hammock than it was made for. If you ever measure hammocks, you'll find that the lengths can vary considerably. In all likelihood, the Darien will be longer than the Blackbird. If you don't add an extension, you'll bust your elastic band.

The best way to fit the Wooki to a longer hammock is to add a non-elastic piece of cord. If the hammock is not too much longer than the Blackbird, extending the foot-end only is sufficient. I have made daisy chain cords for that purpose. I simply hang the daisy chain on the hammock end, and clip in the Wooki. I start long, and work my way up to the perfect fit. Better than to start too short and rip the band (or the Wooki ) right away. Just make sure that there is one elastic element in the suspension, to take the stress off the quilt fabric.
    Sorry for the necro on the old thread, but I was curious why you add a non-elastic piece of cord. I would have thought an elastic piece of cord? I'm thinking of getting an 11 foot Sparrow and going back to Dream Hammock, but like OP, I'd like to still be able to use my Wooki underquilts.

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    Sorry for the necro on the old thread, but I was curious why you add a non-elastic piece of cord. I would have thought an elastic piece of cord? I'm thinking of getting an 11 foot Sparrow and going back to Dream Hammock, but like OP, I'd like to still be able to use my Wooki underquilts.
    The original elastic/tensioner does the job. The goal here is to match the added length, not to add unneeded elastic.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I tried a shock cord extension at first, but that made the suspension too elastic. The beauty of the Wooki is that it sits really tight against the hammock, so that there are far less air bubbles than with other underquilts. This doesn't work anymore if the suspension becomes too elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I tried a shock cord extension at first, but that made the suspension too elastic. The beauty of the Wooki is that it sits really tight against the hammock, so that there are far less air bubbles than with other underquilts. This doesn't work anymore if the suspension becomes too elastic.
    Interesting, thanks. I guess I was thinking that using a piece of elastic would give you an extra margin of error in case the loop you tried was too small, but your explanation makes sense.

I'm just really worried about damaging my super expensive Wooki! I like your daisy chain idea, but I could see myself trying one loop, thinking, hmm, a little loose, let's try the next one - and then rip! That one was too short!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The 15D nylon is not easy to damage. And if you start with a longer suspension and shorten it gradually until the Wooki hangs tight enough, it's not likely to overload it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast