Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Very nice. thanks!
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Here's a video that should help with some ideas.

Thanks for the video, ObdewlaX. But please help me understand, I am missing something. It appears you have developed a method that keeps the tarp, though connected to the hammock suspension, from sagging once you get into the hammock. Is that right?

But, what is different from the Hennessy Hammock that accounts for the difference in sag? The HH had a Prussik on the main hammock suspension rope, to which the tarp was attached and then the Prussik was moved up or down the rope to tighten or loosen the tarp. The HH hammock also has a structural ridge line.

The advantage to this set up, as opposed to attaching the tarp to the trees with it's own cordage, is that the small asym tarp stayed close to the hammock RL even after the occupied hammock sagged towards the ground, improving coverage compared to direct tree connection. The disadvantage was that I always ended up with a sagging, loose, floppy tarp( which I could mitigate somewhat with bungee cords or weghted sacks attached to the lateral tarp ends).

What is different in your set up that solves this problem? I see you have a RL also for your tarp, is that what makes the dif? If so, how?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenblack View Post
    Yes, I have watched that video in years past, and I have tried that approach, I can't remember if it worked or not, but watching the video I remember at least one problem with that approach: the hammock, after you run the tarp prussik further up the rope, is now considerably below the tarp, which is the same thing that happens if you tie the tarp to the trees and then weight the hammock. Either way,you end up with a taut tarp, but poorer coverage. Coverage is considerably better if that small tarp is close to the hammock RL.

Although, if not using such a small asym tarp, it might not be as much of a problem to sag below the tarp, and woth it to have the taut tarp.

But, regardless of the coverage, is that what ObdewlaX has done? The same thing Dejoha did in the above video?

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Don't know if you caught this thread, but it might also give some ideas:
    "The Levitating Tarp"
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...evitating-tarp

more to the point, this shows how the ridgeline gets attached to the treestraps (the treestraps themselves are of a peculiar design, which i discuss in another thread, but you can use this method with usual tree straps too, if you like)

a bit of context: i did consider what the original post suggests, it is indeed tempting as it saves some ridgeline rope, but not much else (and my oversized ridgeline weighs about 20grams, so, meh); the reason i prefer to attach at the tree is that is is easier to setup (the tarp and hammock remain independent), easier to put up the tarp before the hammock (so only the tarp gets wet) and then, most importantly, wind: if you attach a 9+ square meter sail to your hammock, in high winds you will have fun. with the way i describe, the tarp will move independently, as the common point is at the tree (so there's no leverage on the hammock); having them fully independent also means i can move the tarp up and down with ease, without retying anything; last but not least, the setup is less dependent on what kind of suspension you use (it can be whoopie slings, ucrs, webbing becket hitched directly to hammock, etc)

having said that, to answer your original question, i would use a softshackle for sure. the one pictured above is what i lovingly decided to definitely not call a multi-shackle, it's basically a button knot, a capture loop in the middle, and a further loop, which enables it to be used as a prusik with an integrated softshackle (among other uses), this would work very elegantly for your purpose, and is very easy to try it (the one in the video above is apliced, but there's no need to bother for a tarp, you can make it in one minute out of any line you have laying around, just your preferred button/stopper knot, two overhand knots reasonably spaced (not even needed to be exact), and you're done. a knotted one is visible here, for almost exactly the same use as you want (except i'm attaching to the ridgeline, not to the hammock suspension); btw, i prefer to use a VT instead of a prusik, as i don't like how the prusik jams and is not adjustable under tension, although not as compact, the vt is vastly superior for our purpose, imo, but if you prefer the prusik, that would work just as well

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Neatness counts.
    Camping in a Colorado state park i had a ranger ask me to take the hammock down. I took a few minutes to show her the setup and explain it, not arguing just show and tell. She said OK and let me keep it up.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

we don't have park rangers much in this part of the world (sadly, we also don't have anything i would call "wild" in the part where i am now; for that one needs to go east where i come from, around here it's what you could only describe as "nature amusement parks" , but that's a different story). but if we did have, i'd put that on my list of reasons to play with nifty setups and invent new ways to hang "impress good loo^H willing park rangers". for now i have to stick with "because we can do better", "impress other hammock hangers" and "no, yours is not easier, hold my beer" (in no particular order) . and it has nothing to do with being obsessed with rope and knots and such, that's just shameless slander.

so i guess get this rigged up to test, and the next ranger that bothers you, you can start by "ah, but i was not sleeping, just testing this new setup from euope, have a look at this crazy thing, can you believe it". you might even sell a few. throw in an "exclusive" and "never before seen outside secret test facilities in the dark forests of germany" or something of that sort, and you might even get a crowd gathering. (you're welcome) :P

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Neatness counts.
    Camping in a Colorado state park i had a ranger ask me to take the hammock down. I took a few minutes to show her the setup and explain it, not arguing just show and tell. She said OK and let me keep it up.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    For just this scenario I have a couple of 2" kevlar huggers that I take with me when I go someplace I'm not familiar with. Baxter State Park in ME requires them and they actually do check, and you have to hang over the shelter/tent pads, and they check on that, too.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast