DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Backpacking in/near the Virginia Tidewater area ??

I've been living in the Northern Virginia/DC Metro area now for the past 25 years. It might not seem like it at first glance, but this is a great place to live for an avid backpacker/hanger like me. I've been blessed to have relatively close access to great forested locations in VA, WV, MD, and even PA (e.g. Shenandoah NP, George Washington & Jefferson Forests, etc.) where I can get away for weekends (or even a week or two), disappear into the backcountry where there are few day hikers, hang virtually anywhere, and only come back out once I've run out of food or time. I rarely drive more than 2 hours to get to some fantastic locations (maybe just a bit farther for some remote sites in GW/Jeff NF).

I'll be relocating to the Tidewater area next month so I started looking at my options in Southeast VA and Northeast NC. I'm not seeing a lot. I've checked out maps and assorted hiking sites/forums (e.g. All Trails) for good multi-day backcountry backpacking locations where I can go off grid and away from the dog walkers, screeching kids, booze hounds, and music blasters. I'm just not seeing it. I'm concerned that I'll need to drive all the way across the state to get my fix. That's at least 3-1/2 - 4 hours minimum for the nearest option in SNP, and even farther for any other options.

Do any of my fellow hangers know of good "get away from it all" backcountry backpacking areas within a couple of hours of the Roanoke/Virginia Beach/Hampton/Suffolk area?
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

You're pretty out of luck, honestly. I suppose you could try to stealth camp in Great Dismal Swamp, but obviously that's not recommended and against park rules. False Cape State Park does have designated campgrounds but it's an 8 mile hike from the parking area to get there so that will limit the potential for idiocy at the campground. Portsmouth Island (part of Cape Lookout National Seashore) in NC allows dispersed camping where you can just basically pick your spot and do whatever you want, but it's about 5.5 hours to get there, so that doesn't really fit your description, though it's a "fresh" place rather than Shenandoah where you've been before.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Consider paddle camping instead of backpacking for Tidewater VA area. There is lots of great paddling in that area, from Great Dismal Swamp to every little creek coming into the James and York rivers. And if you like to fish, there are a bunch of kayak and canoe anglers in that area. NC has some nice state parks in that area, plus areas around Currituck sound that get motor boat traffic. With a paddle, you can still get away from the noise.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I was starting to wonder after a couple of weeks whether I would get any at all.

jkmoore,
    I was afraid that my suspicions about nearby dispersed camping would be confirmed. Bummer!

SubaruWx,
    I'm not much of a fisherman, but have been known to go canoeing now and again. With paddle camping, is it legal to camp anywhere along the rivers, creeks, etc.? I always assumed much of that was private property.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    You are right - much of it is private land, but many land owners may be open to letting you hang a hammock especially if you leave no trace. The tougher part is finding and contacting the owner in advance. I worked for a couple of summers on the lower end of the James River, and we would paddle and camp at spots along the river. But that was 25 years ago and I was wearing a Boy Scout uniform.

VA has water trails, and there may be camping sites along them.

There are lots of wildlife refuges in the area, but they don’t seem to be ones that allow camping. VA State parks do usually have camping - check out False Cape State Park which has primitive camping with boat access, and trail access to Back Bay NWR.

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/false-cape

• + New Posts